Advise On Nutes With Coco Please

• Thread starter BudLMA
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BudLMA

BudLMA

Im using coco coir pro plus and my 2 seeds have germed in root riots. I have read that coco coir needs nutes from start as there is nothing in them. Should I add 0.5ml cal mag to 1l of water at ph between 5.8-6.0 and ep 0.5 and same with forumlex ..to the coco before I plant the root rapid seeds? Lots of people say don't but they usually don't use coco. Those that use coco seems to think its best to add. Thoughts?

MGG Nubie

MGG Nubie

Im using coco coir pro plus and my 2 seeds have germed in root riots. I have read that coco coir needs nutes from start as there is nothing in them. Should I add 0.5ml cal mag to 1l of water at ph between 5.8-6.0 and ep 0.5 and same with forumlex ..to the coco before I plant the root rapid seeds? Lots of people say don't but they usually don't use coco. Those that use coco seems to think its best to add. Thoughts?
Not sure about the pro plus coco. Does it have pre-added nutrients? If not use the forumlex in 1/4 doses per gallon. If your using tap water you should have the cal mag covered for a newbie. RO water does need to be supplemented with some mag and cal, but at 1/4 doses. Less is always more in hydro or soil-less soil. Coco shows your feeding results within a day or so and can be washed if you tox your plants. That's how I find my sweet spot for feeding. Start with very small doses and listen to the plants. Bump each feeding until you see some stress. Wash with pure RO to de-tox and use the mixture ratio of your previous feeding before the ooops to much feeding. Yeah I know, real scientific. But it's impossible to say what your plants tolerance threshold is and recommend a specific amount of any nutrients. I use the flora series by GH. It took 2 weeks to dial in my feeding mixture. But when you find it, wow, coco is the only way to go.

BudLMA

BudLMA

Not sure about the pro plus coco. Does it have pre-added nutrients? If not use the forumlex in 1/4 doses per gallon. If your using tap water you should have the cal mag covered for a newbie. RO water does need to be supplemented with some mag and cal, but at 1/4 doses. Less is always more in hydro or soil-less soil. Coco shows your feeding results within a day or so and can be washed if you tox your plants. That's how I find my sweet spot for feeding. Start with very small doses and listen to the plants. Bump each feeding until you see some stress. Wash with pure RO to de-tox and use the mixture ratio of your previous feeding before the ooops to much feeding. Yeah I know, real scientific. But it's impossible to say what your plants tolerance threshold is and recommend a specific amount of any nutrients. I use the flora series by GH. It took 2 weeks to dial in my feeding mixture. But when you find it, wow, coco is the only way to go.
Thank pal thats really good advise. Ive done it at 1/4 strength like you said and gonna try a feed schedule of once every 5/6 days. Play it by ear as you suggest

MGG Nubie

MGG Nubie

Thank pal thats really good advise. Ive done it at 1/4 strength like you said and gonna try a feed schedule of once every 5/6 days. Play it by ear as you suggest
Pure coco dries up fast. Never let your coco dry up. If your in pure coco or coco with pearlite 5-6 days is a long time with out water of food. Treat your coco like a hydro grow. Not a soil grow. Again I'm not familiar with coco coir pro plus, it may have a mixture of soil added to it. But if it's pure coco coir fiber or pith you can water whenever you see a need. It's hydro and it really can't be over watered. Coco fully saturated still provides oxygen to your roots. I do a nutrient feed wait to days then a RO with cal-mag feed. Switching back and forth every 2 days. Be sure to get a good runoff to wash the calcium and old salts from the planter. You may see a higher PPM in the runoff depending on how well your coco was washed by the producer. In time the PPM will slowly come down as the salts from the coco are washed out. I use a 5L garden pump sprayer to feed and water my bigger plants. It's a slower process but it's thorough and does a slow even feeding every time. Pouring feed/water into coco will flow right strait through the fibers. I have a video showing me pouring a one liter bottle of water in one spot in my planter on top of the coco. It basically shoots strait through the fiber and exits the bottom with a 80% runoff return. The plant cannot benefit from a fast watering. Sorry for the rambling, just a little smoked:-) Pease and Good fortune in your new grow.

BudLMA

BudLMA

The more advise the better pal. We all need to learn. Thanks for your help on feeds. Can you mix the calmag and formulex or canna nutes together or should you do them seperate?

MGG Nubie

MGG Nubie

The more advise the better pal. We all need to learn. Thanks for your help on feeds. Can you mix the calmag and formulex or canna nutes together or should you do them seperate?
You can but watch your PPMs. With RO your starting at basically zero PPM so with 1/4 doses of nutes per gallon of water you should be fine. Tap water has a lot of solids so PPM is already higher. My tap water is 450ppm, ouch. I can't use it as a base for feeding I have to go with RO water. Being a baby girls you want your food for them at a very minimal PPM. Not a lot is needed to get them going. I'd say 400 to 500ppm and keep your eye on them. If you find your PPM is high mixing both just do them every other feeding. I do a wash every now and then with my tap water. It's full of goodies cannabis likes. It seems to be fine. My ratio right now is hitting 900 to 1100ppm in RO but I'm in week 2 of flower. I kind of break the rules when my plants show no ill effects from higher PPM. When I hit week 4 of flower I push hard for 1500ppm plants accepting. This is my first grow with General Hydroponics. It boosts PPM higher than I'm used to with all the mixing of different grow juices. Kind of hard to stay low PPM and keep my girls fed. And one more thing I've "heard" you need to mix cal-mag or any micro's in your water before adding your nutrients. Don't know, but that's how I do it. Go for the big grow. Peace.

thosedamnkids

thosedamnkids

I use coco perlite mix, water every other day. For example monday water only. wed water w calmag. friday water w nutes

Enforcer

Enforcer

The coco coir plus, is that the compressed pucks you buy off Amazon?

Enforcer

Enforcer

Yep thats the one
Ok. I looked at them and it does already have nutes in them. I would suggest only giving your seedlings plain ph corrected water for the first 3-4 weeks. Once your plants grow a few nodes and the leaves begin to yellow slightly, begin your 1/4 strength nutes and increase as needed.

BudLMA

BudLMA

Ok. I looked at them and it does already have nutes in them. I would suggest only giving your seedlings plain ph corrected water for the first 3-4 weeks. Once your plants grow a few nodes and the leaves begin to yellow slightly, begin your 1/4 strength nutes and increase as needed.
They are 11 days from seedling and looking at other people's plants at this age they seem more advanced should i add light nutes?

Enforcer

Enforcer

Not yet. The seed has enough nutrients to support the plant for the first 3-4 weeks. Plus you already have nutes in the coco that the plant gets every time you water. IMO, adding liquid nutes in top of all that is not wise.

V

vagiboy1987

Here's the thing to remember with nutes in any setup...variety. Thats why you see so many of the same manufacturers with different sources of the same nutes. Nitrogen for instance, why feed a plant only one source of nitrogen. Like diamonds are different due to chemical makeup so are your nutes bloodmeal may display one variation of nitrogen while while planting beans as a companion plant to your weed will do another variation (yes this works quite well). The same as you wouldn't be that healthy just following food guide pyramid with one type of food from each food group, so would your plants. Survive yes, thrive no. Coco, peat, clay, straight compost... That is all well and good and they need different methods for each. So to answer your question, for any media look at it like this, how much nutrient value does my soil have? In your case slim to none so start low and go slow using a variety and dilute it gradually making it stronger. Your plant will let you know if its too much or too little but if you start low and go slow your a lot less likely to burn your plants than going by a predesignated pattern. Each plant is different, my sister eats kale, I fuckin hate it same with your plants. Ive had clones of plants that like different nutes so there's not a one way suits all. Buy several types and dilute them and swap them out back and forth. IF your plant doesn't like it shell bitch like a crazy girlfriend until you get the hint.

Top Bottom