after curing weed smells like hay?

• Thread starter captainkip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Reefer Franklin

On one hand, I'm there with the old guys (I think I'm one of them, but I'm not sure yet). But on the other hand you have *got* to remind them of the overall quality of that bud. A lot of it would now be considered trash, and the smoke could be extremely harsh with an awful flavor. Maybe we're spoiled now, but I like it that way. I like having flavor and smell come through and being able to enjoy buds the way I do very good coffees (we roast our own) and wines.

Seamaiden,

I picture you in 1969 wearing a headband and a purple tie-dye shirt, a spliff of mediocre Mexican in one hand, a peace sign in the other.

Luckily in the early 1970's I was smoking decent hash since I was living in Europe. We had fairly regular access to 'OO' Morrocan, Nepalese, Red Lebanese, and Afghani. We were spoiled.

I too roast my own coffee in several forced air popcorn poppers. There's nothing like a cup of Celebes Kalossi roasted just hours before. It's all about taste, isn't it ?

The Reef

M

Mr.Newcastle

Can somebody who dries for 14-21 days describe in full detail how you make that possible?{ Drying room dimensions-Temp and RH-OutdoorBud/IndoorBud-Hugecolas/popcorn-where fans are positioned-controlling the enviroment-anything else I didnt mention. } Since I've only ever reached 7 days hanging before snap, I can only speculate how to accomplish such a long dry. I'm thinking to do it, you would need the highest RH without problems, the lowest temp without problems, and some monster size buds.? Thank you in advance. Peace.

S

swisscheese

Hay smell means it's not dry enough usually and you put it into a bag or container too soon. From my experience paper bags can cause the hay smell or a funky paper smell too so be careful and hang dry longer.

T

toothless

it actually seems like pretty good genetics but it's just bag seed but it has to be atleast decent genetics seeing the trich's i smoked the small bud i had picked off and it tasted pretty good very nice taste to it i don't know how to describe the taste though it was the opposite of earthy i guess

Hi, imho bagseed genetics are never really known. usually the father is a hermi and is an unwanted pregnancy. I suspect this is the main reason for the lack of flava, I suspect mexican genetics. that being said. it can still be very very stony. seeds are always a crap shoot anyway. ive had 100 dollar seeds come out like hay and 20 seeds with phenos I still dream about.

Another thing that kills flavor is too much nutrients. bright green plants at the end is a no,no

nuttso

nuttso

Can somebody who dries for 14-21 days describe in full detail how you make that possible?{ Drying room dimensions-Temp and RH-OutdoorBud/IndoorBud-Hugecolas/popcorn-where fans are positioned-controlling the enviroment-anything else I didnt mention. } Since I've only ever reached 7 days hanging before snap, I can only speculate how to accomplish such a long dry. I'm thinking to do it, you would need the highest RH without problems, the lowest temp without problems, and some monster size buds.? Thank you in advance. Peace.

I really wan't to know that too. For example, if i had an sealed room with airscrubber and ac/with uv filter, will it be good for drying. Maybe if i put the ac on 60, humidity 60-70, air scrubber on. Will the airscrubber be enough for moving the air? I remember that somewhere i saw people not opening the drying room for min 7 days because the plant can continue with photosynthesis even after being choped...

B

bellsnickle

i also don't see how you can get away with 14 days of drying pls explain....

nuttso

nuttso

I think if you have 70% RH, 60 F temp your fine and they won't be dry in 7 days... but i really wan't to know from someone that has done it that way...

T

tumbleweed

I usually take at least 7-14 days to dry, then another few months of proper curing in glass jars. Found the easiest way for me was to use cardboard boxes, tie string about 2" from the top, side to side, gives lots of area to hang branches from. Put them in the boxes as they are trimmed (trimmed as soon as cut from the plant), close the boxes and wait. Checking every few days. When dry into the glass, opened a few times a day to burp with decreasing frequency as time progresses. Temp is usually around 60-75, RH 45% +/- 5%.

When dried and cured like this, lasts a long time also. Have some with a 10 month cure currently that is still wonderful, and hasn't lost it's smell.

green punk

green punk

This topic is truly the art of growing. Really, nowa days you can get your designer strains that practically clone themselves, have outstanding thc levels and are amazingly easy to grow. Any idiot can grow. all you need is money to buy needed equip/nutes and the net to answer your questions you may have. But the true art is in the harvest and cure. This is where the "guild" members are found. Patience and attention to detail and you'll figure it out.
As for "you need good genetics etc" bull. It helps, but Ive seen many of experienced growers with elites in their stable rush the cure and have it turn to hay. Patience.

C

CHILKaT

I dry in a small grow tent. it's easy to control temp, humidity and airflow and get 14 days easily. Used to hang in an open room, maybe get 4-5 days before dry. You just have to control the environment to get an optimum drying period.

S

StankyDanky

Sedate is absolutely right. Genetics play very little in the "hay" smell. I've been a grower for 22yrs. The smell is because of improper flush and improper drying. Done for the two reason. Inexperience, or greed. Chlorophyll is cause sing the "hay" like smell

S

StankyDanky

And btw, a paper bag is just a crude way of humidity control. Moist. Is asorb. Thru the paper bag, which can't be done in a mason jar. Your bud may look dry on the outside, but still hold moisture. Curing is much as an art as growing. I've seen peeps with great harvests, that end up screwing the pooch when they cure and end up with a great looking but weird smelling bud that no one wants to smoke.

dorjewright

dorjewright

I'm having terrible luck with long drying times. In the past I hang and dry (with just the large fans removed) for maybe 3 to 5 days with a dehumidifier at 50-60% and temps in the low to mid 70s (because of the dehumidifier). Then cut the buds off of the branches and bag for another week then into jars and burp.
Leaving the buds on the branches and hanging for longer times just gives me mold on the stems but then I'm on the coast where the humidity is usually at least 75%.

K

kolah

I now skip the bag thing (no boxes either) and go directly from hang drying straight into glass jars. I then roll em and burp em once a day until dry then seal em up for 3-4 weeks to cure. IMO the paper bags were stealing a lot of the terpenes out of my buds.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

That rain for days hurt my typical approach to the hang dry but only lost a little to mold...... Kolah you think the hay smell in thread is coming from big fans only or buds too? I get some funky ass smells from those big fans.....

F

Farmer Buck

after my last harvest i hung it for 5 days (popcorn sized buds) cut them off the stems threw them into a paper bag for a day then threw them into a jar for a day burping them every few hours put them back in the paper bag for a day and then back into the jar seemed quite dry and was smokeable but smelt like hay and had basically no taste now for the actual question i cut a small branch off of my plant that i have flowering now the bud is nearly dry and still smells like hay? any advice?

Recently discovered a way to get rid of this dank smell caused by in proper drying. I'm not exactly sure why it seems to work but have some guesses. You will need: 1 apple,1 pear,1 large carrot, a few small chunks of dried apple wood for smokers/BBQ s (GOT MINE AT SOBEY'S),1-2 sprigs of green onion, 1/2 tsp of celery seed.

Here is what I did : Put apple, pear, and carrot (cut into chucks) in the large freezer bag, along with the celery seed and green onion (only a very small amount of green onion/chive should be used (1-2 leaves maximum leave whole to avoid this over powering and leaving residual odour on your buds as a precaution)

Next I put approximately 30 grams of the dankness in a smaller zip lock bag leaving this bag fully open ,I then placed it inside the large freezer bag with my veggies and sealed the large bag and left in the window for approximately 1 hour to let the bag sweat and condensation form inside then placed it in a cool dark area for another hour.
I then removed the bug bag from the large freezer bag gave it a shake, and added a few small pieces of fresh apple pear and carrot and half of the apple wood directly into the zip lock bag containing the bud . I sealed it in a dark cool area for approximately 5 hours,opening the bag every hour or so to release gasses/condensation.

Next I removed the fruit and veggies and used apple wood from the zip lock bag and removed the bud for about 20 minutes to let air dry somewhat before putting it in a paper bag with the remaining unused dried apple wood.

Voila

no dank smell today,smells buddy with a faint hint of apple or pear i cant quite place it.

F

Farmer Buck

Recently discovered a way to get rid of this dank smell caused by in proper drying. I'm not exactly sure why it seems to work but have some guesses. You will need: 1 apple,1 pear,1 large carrot, a few small chunks of dried apple wood for smokers/BBQ s (GOT MINE AT SOBEY'S),1-2 sprigs of green onion, 1/2 tsp of celery seed.

Here is what I did : Put apple, pear, and carrot (cut into chucks) in the large freezer bag, along with the celery seed and green onion (only a very small amount of green onion/chive should be used (1-2 leaves maximum leave whole to avoid this over powering and leaving residual odour on your buds as a precaution)

Next I put approximately 30 grams of the dankness in a smaller zip lock bag leaving this bag fully open ,I then placed it inside the large freezer bag with my veggies and sealed the large bag and left in the window for approximately 1 hour to let the bag sweat and condensation form inside then placed it in a cool dark area for another hour.
I then removed the bug bag from the large freezer bag gave it a shake, and added a few small pieces of fresh apple pear and carrot and half of the apple wood directly into the zip lock bag containing the bud . I sealed it in a dark cool area for approximately 5 hours,opening the bag every hour or so to release gasses/condensation.

Next I removed the fruit and veggies and used apple wood from the zip lock bag and removed the bud for about 20 minutes to let air dry somewhat before putting it in a paper bag with the remaining unused dried apple wood.

Voila

no dank smell today,smells buddy with a faint hint of apple or pear i cant quite place it.

F

Farmer Buck

Voila

It seems to me that the oxidation of the apples and pears (what causes them to go brown)is pulling the dank smell out of the buds and the dried apple wood is helping to absorb the moisture at the end .
I guess we will call this the fruit curing method lol

F

Farmer Buck

Voila

It seems to me that the oxidation of the apples and pears (what causes them to go brown)is pulling the dank smell out of the buds and the dried apple wood is helping to absorb the moisture at the end .
I guess we will call this the fruit curing method lol

Top Bottom