after curing weed smells like hay?

• Thread starter captainkip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Panacea79

Panacea79

My humidity is around 50% (evenings at least) here in SoCal. I chopped Mon morning & jarred last night - 3.5 days drying (lights off in tent w/ scrubber running) - and the hygrometer was reading 62% RH in the jar this morning. I don't understand how people are drying beyond a few days. Seems like if I went a week they would be waaayyy overdried.

I agree...well at least with the fact that my experience has been that my pants usually are pretty dry in 3 days or so. Granted I didn't have any 54 g (wet) colas and quite a few of what would be considered popcorn buds AND I think I may have jarred them up when they were a little too moist which I heard makes them smell like hay. Also I don't think I flushed it as long as I should have....well I guess I did a few things wrong...I also might try this 'freeze cure' I've heard of. Apparently you just cut your plant, throw it in a Tupperware, toss it in the freezer for 30 days, take it out and it's good to go!

ARoachclip

ARoachclip

after my last harvest i hung it for 5 days (popcorn sized buds) cut them off the stems threw them into a paper bag for a day then threw them into a jar for a day burping them every few hours put them back in the paper bag for a day and then back into the jar seemed quite dry and was smokeable but smelt like hay and had basically no taste now for the actual question i cut a small branch off of my plant that i have flowering now the bud is nearly dry and still smells like hay? any advice?
First before you freak out, being around fresh cut MJ for long periods makes everything smell"grassy." Get it out into the air and test it. However, you may have harvested too soon.

snowdrop

snowdrop

As i understand it, contrary to popular belief, the terpenes that give buds their scent actually evaporate at room temperature (this is actually why we can 'smell' flowers in the first place) - these are not the medicinal terpinoids such as THC etc but rather highly volitile terpenes that disappear very quickly if buds are not handled correctly, especially post harvest. Low temperatures, no light etc all mentioned earlier are a must to preserve your buds aroma.

M

maxstyles

Take all veg off flower. Before hanging

Dry in darkness, colder the better down to low 60's no humitity.

Dry till Stem crack and dosent bend then but away for cure.

light is the enemy after harvest
Hey Rabbi, When u say light is the enemy after harvest? Do u mean all light. Like house lamps or just sun light? We just had a harvest that smelled awsome at the cut down, but a few days into the dry/cure some has started to lose all smell/taste? WTF. Any help be great.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Get yourself some good uk cheese if u want stinky without a cure.everyone in the uk grows that shit coz no matter how crap they grow it its still dank.within reason of course.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Hey Rabbi, When u say light is the enemy after harvest? Do u mean all light. Like house lamps or just sun light? We just had a harvest that smelled awsome at the cut down, but a few days into the dry/cure some has started to lose all smell/taste? WTF. Any help be great.
The smell of freshly cut is overpowering in the beginning. It is normal for heavy smell to subside as it dries. I bet you are just used to the smell now. All light degrades but a table lamp being used is not a deal killer. Try to let weed dry, cure and store in darkness. I don't even like it when my smoking jar sits in direct sunlight, keep it in a bag.

robomont

robomont

i too agree that paper bags may be pulling terpenes out.
plus aiding in hay smell.
someone mentioned uv near buds.i wouldnt.two reasons,ionization of local air stripping terpenes.ionization of terpenes thus breaking them down chemically.

M

maxstyles

Get yourself some good uk cheese if u want stinky without a cure.everyone in the uk grows that shit coz no matter how crap they grow it its still dank.within reason of course.
Thanks Mr Bee, This is actually delicious cheese candy? Also, I have some other girls hung whole & trimmed in the drying room that feel crispy as but non of the stems snap. The nugs starting to feel brittle. Should I leave them hanging a day or 2 longer or start to put them into tubs? I've never had this happen before, they usually snapping stems before the nugs go brittle? Any help be great. Thanks heaps.

M

maxstyles

The smell of freshly cut is overpowering in the beginning. It is normal for heavy smell to subside as it dries. I bet you are just used to the smell now. All light degrades but a table lamp being used is not a deal killer. Try to let weed dry, cure and store in darkness. I don't even like it when my smoking jar sits in direct sunlight, keep it in a bag.
All good, I have been very close then. As they were in total dark except for the room lamp coming on when I was checking them. They smoke great and look great, but no smell/taste. Tripping me out.

M

maxstyles

Thanks to every one who has helped me through this crisis, think I'm just getting on top of it now. I'll be set up proper for next time. So I will not have a repeater. Thanks again, yoou've been awsome all.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
i too agree that paper bags may be pulling terpenes out.
plus aiding in hay smell.
someone mentioned uv near buds.i wouldnt.two reasons,ionization of local air stripping terpenes.ionization of terpenes thus breaking them down chemically.
My experience has been just the opposite. Putting the flowers into the paper bags helped eliminate the hay odor and brought out the good scents.

guymandude

guymandude

I let my buds dry for a few days. I then put them into jars overnight. They come out of the jar very wet. I then let hem dry again in the basket until they just start to get crispy. Then I toss them into a cvault and forget about them.

M

maxstyles

Hey Guymandude, I've been looking into getting a CVault. There's only one seller in our country who carries them and he has nearly trippled the damn price. Extortionate. I'm getting one when I go to the UK. I'm just curious if U use the boveda packs with the vault? Do u have to burp the vault the same way u do jars? Or does the humidipak eliminate the burping all together, so u can just forget about it & let it cure for weeks?

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

I let my buds dry for a few days. I then put them into jars overnight. They come out of the jar very wet. I then let hem dry again in the basket until they just start to get crispy. Then I toss them into a cvault and forget about them.
Guymandude are you trying to tell us your a woman?

guymandude

guymandude

High Maxstyles, yes I have boveda packs in the cvaults. OInce they go into the cvault, I check on them the day after to make sure they haven't rehydrated. If they haven't I don't burp them. I'm not saying it's right, but i haven't had any problems yet. Keep sthe buds at the perfect humidity, they smoke wonderfully well, and I'm very happy.

Mr Bee, I have no clue where you got that, dude. LOL. I'm a Freak, but not like that.

M

maxstyles

Guymandude, how long approx have u kept it stored with boveda. I've been told that it goes moldy at 62% if left ubchecked to long. Not sure I'm interested in the bovedas for storage now. MAybe just as a rehydrating agent when I over dry. Which is all the damn time. Gotta lay off the bong at harvest time i reckon.

M

maxstyles

Thanks Guymandude, Just curious when u had it stored for the 1.5 months. Were u burping the jars at all? I'm going to get a Cvault next pay day. Thanks dude.

robomont

robomont

you can always make your own dessicate by drying out sand in the oven then putting it in a pill bottle that has a few holes in it.the pill bottle then goes in your container.where i live,the humidity is usually around 60-70%.so only in summer,do i have dry weed.
for dry weed,i put about 4-6 drops of water per quarter ounce,shake well and seal for thirty minutes.this increases potency and sellable weight.

Top Bottom