Agricultural Sea Minerals

Discussion in 'Organic Soil' started by leadsled, Feb 9, 2011.

1. leadsled

leadsled Well-Known Farmer

Agricultural Sea Minerals. I see alot of studies and research on them. Obviously other things from the sea are loved by plants.

Anyone using Sea minerals?

few products I found.
    groPAL dot com
    seaagri dot com

I found this interesting article on the subject and how to make your own..
    http://www.naturalnews.com/023600_minerals_water_sea.html

Anyone else researched this or interested, or new to you? Thanks for your time.

2. dextr0

dextr0 Well-Known Farmer

3. leadsled

thanks, I knew there was a reason I kept reminding myself to ask about em.
  4. dextr0

dextr0 Well-Known Farmer

The thalassa mix looks bad ass.

Quote:
    Pure sea water
    Original Himalayan Crystal Saltâ„¢
    Humus
    Silica
    Yarrow
    Chamomile
    Stinging Nettle
    White Oak Bark
    Dandelion
    Valerian
    Equisetum arvense (Meadow Horsetail)
    Clay
    http://www.americanbluegreen.com/html/thalassa_mix.html

Thanx for reminding me of this Lead. I see u been searchin lately, Lotta good finds.
  5. CT Guy

CT Guy Farmer

6. Seamaiden

Seamaiden Moderator Staff Member

What about using salt mix, for aquariums? Seems like you'd have to dilute it quite a lot, but it's used to grow aquatic organisms, including hermatypics (reef-building) and other skeleton-building critters.
  7. justiceman

justiceman Farmer

This is an extremely interesting topic. I once did a foliar spray on a droopy clone with a sole solution I made from pure Himalayan salt crystals and she perked back up immediately. I haven't messed around with it in my nutrient solutions yet but I've been considering adding to supplement trace minerals.

Apparently it's not just about the trace minerals in themselves but the actual frequency they give off because of there geometric form that is important.

That sea solid hydro thread is interesting. Damn that guy uses about 1900ppm worth of Himalayan crystal salt/sea salt with 500ppm of pbp. It's interesting that it doesn't' burn his plants. I've heard that some plants can take in an excess of 4000ppm sea solids. Dr Murray is the one who coined the idea. I'm about to order his book called Sea Energy Agriculture in order to gain more insight.

I've also read that one can revitalize "dead" r/o or deionized water by letting a quartz crystal sit in the water for 24 hours. It supposedly rearranges the crystaloid structure of the water molecules.
  8. LBZ Farmer

LBZ Farmer New Farmer

I have some stuff called MUD from my Marine aquarium. Wonder if that has what I need. It is supposed to be for a refugium supposed to have tons of minerals in it.
  9. ookiimata

ookiimata Farmer

I think I read that you shouldn't use aquarium salts. I can't remember exactly why. But everything I read says you have to use deep water salts from Australia (Sea-90 or some name like that) or Brittany (Celtic Sea Salts) or mined ancient Himalayan salts.

From what I've read, and I haven't finished reading all the info on it, the only advantage is that you can use less nutes (organic or synth) on your plants. I'd like to try crushing some up and using a low dose as a soil amendment in the future, but I'm not in any hurry. Glacial Dust and Kelp probably end up giving a very similar additive mix.

But for places that can't get nutes to grow their food and have depleted the soil, I think it's an alternative worth looking into.
  10. Seamaiden

I'm still incredulous. There is no difference between salts found at depth and salts found at the sea surface, only in specific gravity levels, which can be dependent on location in relation to thermoclines, sub-Arctic/Antarctic areas (think of glacial melt and how that 'stirs' the deep oceanic currents) and other areas where sea water might be mixed with fresh. You *do* see differences between seas, for instance, it is known that the Red Sea is saltier than other oceans, and so you see some interesting bio-diversity that is attributed to that (it's also a physical bottleneck). But as for what salts are comprising those oceans, you can keep Red Sea specimens in the same salt mix or natural filtered sea water as you do, say, Indian Ocean or Pacific specimens.
    Heh, I know the people who make that stuff. From Walt Smith, yeah? Or is it being made by another outfit?

Personally, I wouldn't use it because of what I know and have written on refugia. If you're familiar with the book The Natural Marine Aquarium--Reef Invertebrates, that's a publication I was involved with as an editor and it's pretty much focused on how to use refugia. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a natural marine aquarium.
  11. leadsled

Like to hear more about agricultural sea minerals. thanks for sharing, but I am growing plants not reefs or fish. Respect! -Lead
  12. ookiimata

ookiimata Farmer

The ICMag thread already posted has tons of info. There's another thread on that site in the Organic Hydro section that plays around with sea salts in coco as well.

I read them both, and it basically boils down to, "Using diluted sea salt water in your hydro grow probably won't kill your plants." Of course, they only demonstrate that using a few specific sources of sea salts to make their saltwater solutions. NZ, Celtic, Himalayan. And all the guys using it still need to use additional nutrients. Then there are just pages and pages of unsubstantiated claims from growers that believe their products taste better, are healthier, and are more potent. None of them have run any kind of lab analysis to support potency claims. Taste is already so subjective as to be worthless. One guy claimed that his seawater plants resisted white flies better than his non-seawater plants. Take that as you will. That same guy had never grown indoor before, let alone hydro, before starting with the seawater. Someone posted a Japanese study that found a tremendously diluted seawater solution produced "higher quality" tomatoes than the control group at the cost of smaller yields. Bumping up the sea solid concentration in those Japanese tests had a hugely negative affect on yield. Someone else showed multiple lab analysis of seawater typically only having 30-40 minerals rather than the 80-90 claimed by the companies selling it for agricultural uses.

So, considering that a properly amended soil will grow plants with no need for additional nutrients or additives during the grow, I don't see seawater lowering the need for the concentration of additives needed being any kind of miracle method. I find it extremely interesting and surprising and somewhat impressive, though. Perhaps the seawater can be viewed as the hydro version of amended soil for those desiring to grow organically in hydroponics.

I went into my reading completely neutral and unmotivated. Those are the conclusions I drew. Anyone remotely interested should read those threads themselves. It's very cool and I love that people are trying things like that.
  13. Seamaiden

I guess I should dig around and find my login information for the mag, eh? I always feel so lost when I go there, though.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, and based on what you've shared, I believe I would end up landing where you have had I done similar research on the subject.

I'm going into a slight musing mode here, and this was the first thought that popped into my head when I read this thread at first--kelp meal, extract, seaweed; they all are claimed to be sources of "sea minerals". They work, well, too. Are we trying to build a better mousetrap, or just a different one here?
  14. justiceman

justiceman Farmer

SEA-90 Experiment

Hey guys I just got some SEA-90 and I'm going to try using it on my exiled caseyjones plant. I'll admit I have my doubts as many do, but I was just itching to see whats up. I figure it's worth a shot for the hell of it.

Alternatively about a week ago I gave it 350ppm(5ml sole per gallon) worth of Himalayan sole as a soil drench and the casey seems to be doing pretty decent except for some tip burn on a few leaves. So I'm going to drop the dose down down.

Anyway back to the SEA-90. Just got it and I took a few pics for you guys. My first experiment just now was a foliar spray at 1tsp per gallon of R/O water. On my Bluelab Combo meter it read 650ppm at 7.9 PH. So In the next few days it will be interesting to see if anything happens out of the ordinary.

SEA-90
    http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_2024.jpg

Contents
    http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_2029.jpg

Experiment plant
    http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_2027.jpg
    http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_2025.jpg
  15. leadsled

groPal sent me a quart to try out. Going to use it as a supplement/additive.
  16. IandI

IandI New Farmer

Yo Justice

Blessup for doing an experiment on this man, I've been really interested. What is the test plant growing in?

The differences would probably be more drastic in hydro/inert media grow style, but a seperate dimension of uses for this product could be reconditioning soil in re-used soil grows and in long term garden beds etc. In marginal soils and deficient plants I think this would probably make a positive difference (never used the product - this is wildly unsubstantiated opinion!) but I wonder whether it could improve on a dialled grow op.

bless the I!