Alcohol Oil Process

• Thread starter Backwards
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Backwards

Hey guys.

Hope all are well.
I'm fairly new in regards to the forum thing, and I only use my phone for stuff like this, so I apologize if I ask something that has been talked about previously.

My outdoor plants had a few issues this year, possibly herme'd or something, I had feminized seeds, but my plants grew nicely till near end of grow then sprouted balls. So I had some really nice bud but it had some small immature seed in it.
I had 5 healthy plants, so I decided to process it all (except the large fan leaves) into oil.
I used alcohol (99.9 iso) as I have an unlimited free supply. I also have access to filtration bags in any size down to 1 micron.
I did my cooks in small batches and experimented with wash times and material quality.
It all turned out amazing.
One cook that I used only top buds to make, when I filtered it, I mistakenly used a filter bag that was 100 micron rather the 50.
The oil from the cook compares with some low end shatter in terms of buzz. However, after a toke in my oil rig, I'm left a little spot of unburned trichomes that went through the filter (it was frosty bud).
Should, just leave it and use it this way, or reprocess and refilter it?
I'm concerned with degrading the thc with continued processing.
I have approx. 2 oz of that particular cook so I don't want to mess it up.

Alcohol oil process
Alcohol oil process 2
Alcohol oil process 3
B

Backwards

Oh crap, i forgot, I also meant to ask what was the finest filter i should use when making oil to filter to the max but not too much.
Thanks
Cheers

brazel

brazel

What process you using? I assume you're soaking and double boiling

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

hey there. congrats on your oil.

this batch I would use it as is. you don't want the cannabinoids to degrade further.

here is how I did my 99%ISO.

Freeze everything
a quick wash lasting 85-90 seconds.

Quickly filter ground buds from alcohol with mesh strainer

put liquid back in freezer over night to allow chlorophyll, solids, and lipids to collect on bottom and walls of the jar.

filtering. filter the liquid in the freezer. you want the bad stuff to stay in the jar or in coffee filter.

after winterizing and filtering; pour filtered liquid in a shallow dish place near an open window and position a fan to blow over the surface of liquid, and blow the fumes out the window.

the fan will disturb the surface of the liquid and evaporate alcohol very quickly.

when about 95% of the liquid is gone i gather it up and put in a small container a d set on a coffee or candle warmer and purge the alcohol .

I ended up with beautiful honey colored oil that vaped smoother than ANY BHO shatter

Hey guys.

Hope all are well.
I'm fairly new in regards to the forum thing, and I only use my phone for stuff like this, so I apologize if I ask something that has been talked about previously.

My outdoor plants had a few issues this year, possibly herme'd or something, I had feminized seeds, but my plants grew nicely till near end of grow then sprouted balls. So I had some really nice bud but it had some small immature seed in it.
I had 5 healthy plants, so I decided to process it all (except the large fan leaves) into oil.
I used alcohol (99.9 iso) as I have an unlimited free supply. I also have access to filtration bags in any size down to 1 micron.
I did my cooks in small batches and experimented with wash times and material quality.
It all turned out amazing.
One cook that I used only top buds to make, when I filtered it, I mistakenly used a filter bag that was 100 micron rather the 50.
The oil from the cook compares with some low end shatter in terms of buzz. However, after a toke in my oil rig, I'm left a little spot of unburned trichomes that went through the filter (it was frosty bud).
Should, just leave it and use it this way, or reprocess and refilter it?
I'm concerned with degrading the thc with continued processing.
I have approx. 2 oz of that particular cook so I don't want to mess it up.

jipp

jipp

hey there. congrats on your oil.

this batch I would use it as is. you don't want the cannabinoids to degrade further.

here is how I did my 99%ISO.

Freeze everything
a quick wash lasting 85-90 seconds.

Quickly filter ground buds from alcohol with mesh strainer

put liquid back in freezer over night to allow chlorophyll, solids, and lipids to collect on bottom and walls of the jar.

filtering. filter the liquid in the freezer. you want the bad stuff to stay in the jar or in coffee filter.

after winterizing and filtering; pour filtered liquid in a shallow dish place near an open window and position a fan to blow over the surface of liquid, and blow the fumes out the window.

the fan will disturb the surface of the liquid and evaporate alcohol very quickly.

when about 95% of the liquid is gone i gather it up and put in a small container a d set on a coffee or candle warmer and purge the alcohol .

I ended up with beautiful honey colored oil that vaped smoother than ANY BHO shatter

do you do a longer wash when you winterize or maybe i should of shook longer. i was doing it much quicker adn cold than 80 seconds.

B

Backwards

What process you using? I assume you're soaking and double boiling
Hey
Ya i did the soak and double boiler.
I do my evaporating out side so theres no concern of fumes accumulating.

brazel

brazel

You use a hot plate beneath your dish and whisk it after it's done evaporating?

B

Backwards

Im going to have to do some reading on new processes.
When i was young, we just soaked the plant material until we got around to it, which was usually sometime in the winter when the buds ran low.
This year i tried some quick washes, and was amazed at the quality and taste, and the lighter colour then i'm used to.
I've never used the freezer like two bears suggested.
Luckily I still have a full gallon can completely jammed full of just ground bud, I will definitely follow a more in depth process with this cook and I'll keep you posted.
I likely be looking to get some more info before I get started.

Thanks guys

B

Backwards

You use a hot plate beneath your dish and whisk it after it's done evaporating?
Yep hot plate, and I have the "juice" in a huge stainless bowl I'm usually right there and I constantly swirl and keep it mixed

brazel

brazel

Im going to have to do some reading on new processes.
When i was young, we just soaked the plant material until we got around to it, which was usually sometime in the winter when the buds ran low.
This year i tried some quick washes, and was amazed at the quality and taste, and the lighter colour then i'm used to.
I've never used the freezer like two bears suggested.
Luckily I still have a full gallon can completely jammed full of just ground bud, I will definitely follow a more in depth process with this cook and I'll keep you posted.
I likely be looking to get some more info before I get started.

Thanks guys
Freezer good, makes thc brittle.
I fell ya, I use to iso back in the nineties!
I was trying to get an idea of your method to better answer your questions.

After you end up with your final product you can put on a hot plate or double boil again and whip it to get more residue out and fluff it up like budder.

I use to take 18 gauge stiff wire, cut in 4" pieces and wrap one piece around 10 pieces then put into a drill to whip it. You can also blast it with butane or co2 or use an iron and wax paper. Lots of simple easy ways. ISO man my coffee cups were stained green! Dry ice sifting, water, mason jar and water, man there's so many ways now days!
But yes I started with ISO!

Are you pushing it or personal? I imagine personal, in not sure if there's still a market for that... with old timers, some might want some. If personal and you don't mind
How it is now then roll with it
Blasting with butane is the norm. Tube with holes in botton and a hole in top for butane.
If no vacuum then whipping can be done

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

I like quick washes to not get so much chlorophyll.

at 85-90 seconds I was getting 17.2%-24.5% yields

do you do a longer wash when you winterize or maybe i should of shook longer. i was doing it much quicker adn cold than 80 seconds.

brazel

brazel

I like quick washes to not get so much chlorophyll.

at 85-90 seconds I was getting 17.2%-24.5% yields
Man back in the day we let that sit for a good day or 2Or longer it's funny how much things have changed and how much we thought was bad a** back then

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

longer washes gets more of the bad stuff in your oil

Man back in the day we let that sit for a good day or 2Or longer it's funny how much things have changed and how much we thought was bad a** back then

B

Backwards

Freezer good, makes thc brittle.
I fell ya, I use to iso back in the nineties!
I was trying to get an idea of your method to better answer your questions.

After you end up with your final product you can put on a hot plate or double boil again and whip it to get more residue out and fluff it up like budder.

I use to take 18 gauge stiff wire, cut in 4" pieces and wrap one piece around 10 pieces then put into a drill to whip it. You can also blast it with butane or co2 or use an iron and wax paper. Lots of simple easy ways. ISO man my coffee cups were stained green! Dry ice sifting, water, mason jar and water, man there's so many ways now days!
But yes I started with ISO!

Are you pushing it or personal? I imagine personal, in not sure if there's still a market for that... with old timers, some might want some. If personal and you don't mind
How it is now then roll with it
Blasting with butane is the norm. Tube with holes in botton and a hole in top for butane.
If no vacuum then whipping can be done
I just keep it for personal, although the area I live in, there are still.a lot of oil smokers.
Like you said, I've learned what we used to think was good oil..........isnt. lol

Isn't science and technology awesome! Who say's pot smokers aren't ambitious. Just tell one there's a way to get a better buzz from his bud, he'll figure it out, even if he has to create a new process to do it. Lol

Graywolf

Graywolf

Thanks for the good thoughts! Things are still on the way to working out and embroiled in legal action.

Top Bottom