Am I Missing Anything & Ph Meter?

• Thread starter Eyebedam
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Eyebedam

Eyebedam

2 part question.

First I'm looking for a recommendation for a good ph meter. The only requirement is, it needs to be on eBay & under 50.00 max because that's what I have left as far as gift card goes..

2nd below is a list of what I currently have on hand or en route to get this new journey going. Take into mind I'm a newbie & have never done any grows in the past or ever with exception to growing saltwater corals for a few years when I was into that hobby. Is there anything else that's a must have to get things going properly?

As of now I have
2x300 Meizhi reflector led lights
Sample kit from Oregons only organics
5 fabric pots with base to catch runoff
Bail of pro mix
Bag of fox farms ocean forest
Temp/humidity moniter
Mykos
12x48x60 grow tent
Will be picking up a couple small fans this weekend to help air circulation
5x auto blueberry seedsman seeds <<< I really wish I had something different.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

id use ph drops tell u saved up some money and get a good pin maybe even a ec/ph/ppm combo
bluelab is grate but not cheap don't want to waste all your money on growing to have it fail bc of a wack ph pin

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

You know that never even crossed my mind. I've got a few five gallon buckets around here that are empty... any suggestions on something easier?
What size are your pots? For three plants you will probably only need to mix a gallon and a half to two gallons.

gwheels

gwheels

You can buy 2 to 3 jugs of distilled water from a drug store or grocery store. They come in 1 gallon bottles so you can use that to mix your nute solution. Just keep filling them with your water and nute them up and measure PH. I liked the 1 gallon when I use soil because it is easy to put in the right amount. Everything is rated in ML per gallon (or tsp per gallon)

You might need PH up/down solution to adjust the PH. I think proper solutions work the best. Generally you have to PH down a lot more than PH up but it depends on how hard you mix the nutes. If I could only afford one I would get good PH down. I got some from holland farms that is so strong 5 drops will effect a 5 gallon jug measurably. Less is more in my book.

I have a 50 dollar PH pen and a bluelab pen. The 50 dollar one is still in a box someplace. Bluelab is just so much easier to use and accurate :D. I think a blue lab is 100 bucks but a cheapo works fine it just needs more calibrating. So keep track of where you put the solution.

The only other thing I would recommend is setting aside your measuring devices for your nutes. As in dont use the measuring spoons you use for cake and cookies. I got a cheap 1 tsp eye dropper from the drug store. It is perfect for measuring. I do 5 gallons of water at a time with nutes and then I check the reservoir for final PH (and TDS).

I have seen people have great success with the cheap LED. :D good luck amgio I hope they grow long strong and loud for you.

gwheels

gwheels

I use RO water and it starts at PH 7.0. If I water feed I need PH down to get it to the right level (5.8 or 6.5 coco vs soil). If I add nutes I always have to PH up if I use organics but with General Hydro nutes it is usually right on the money for coco after I add the nutes. And it is nutes all the time with coco so I rarely need to adjust. When I was in soil though I had to bring it up with PH up. PH down only for straight water.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

They are the 5 gallon fabric/breathable pots with handles.
Ok then you'll need more water. I guess might be 1 gallon per plant all depends. It will change going into flower. By the way it would be best to transplant up pot sizes as they grow and pop them in the 5 gallon a few week prior to flipping them.

Eyebedam

Eyebedam

You can buy 2 to 3 jugs of distilled water from a drug store or grocery store. They come in 1 gallon bottles so you can use that to mix your nute solution. Just keep filling them with your water and nute them up and measure PH. I liked the 1 gallon when I use soil because it is easy to put in the right amount. Everything is rated in ML per gallon (or tsp per gallon)

You might need PH up/down solution to adjust the PH. I think proper solutions work the best. Generally you have to PH down a lot more than PH up but it depends on how hard you mix the nutes. If I could only afford one I would get good PH down. I got some from holland farms that is so strong 5 drops will effect a 5 gallon jug measurably. Less is more in my book.

I have a 50 dollar PH pen and a bluelab pen. The 50 dollar one is still in a box someplace. Bluelab is just so much easier to use and accurate :D. I think a blue lab is 100 bucks but a cheapo works fine it just needs more calibrating. So keep track of where you put the solution.

The only other thing I would recommend is setting aside your measuring devices for your nutes. As in dont use the measuring spoons you use for cake and cookies. I got a cheap 1 tsp eye dropper from the drug store. It is perfect for measuring. I do 5 gallons of water at a time with nutes and then I check the reservoir for final PH (and TDS).

I have seen people have great success with the cheap LED. :D good luck amgio I hope they grow long strong and loud for you.

We have extremely hard water where I live, so bad it leaves lime deposits/residue on everything. Sadly I live in 1 of the "wealthiest" counties in my state & we have shitty water lol.. I'll def grab a set of measuring devices this weekend at the dollar store.

I think I will try to find a really good ph solution some where's on the interwebs & will grab an aquarium style test kit until I get 1 of the nicer pens, unless the aquarium style drops work good enough for me I'll just rock those.

I also think the gallon jugs from the grocery is a fantastic idea for the time being. Thanks for the info

Eyebedam

Eyebedam

Ok then you'll need more water. I guess might be 1 gallon per plant all depends. It will change going into flower. By the way it would be best to transplant up pot sizes as they grow and pop them in the 5 gallon a few week prior to flipping them.
From what I've read on autos, I keep reading to start them off in there final home... As in they don't do well being transplanted.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

We have extremely hard water where I live, so bad it leaves lime deposits/residue on everything. Sadly I live in 1 of the "wealthiest" counties in my state & we have shitty water lol.. I'll def grab a set of measuring devices this weekend at the dollar store.

I think I will try to find a really good ph solution some where's on the interwebs & will grab an aquarium style test kit until I get 1 of the nicer pens, unless the aquarium style drops work good enough for me I'll just rock those.

I also think the gallon jugs from the grocery is a fantastic idea for the time being. Thanks for the info
I don't know if there's any difference but I like General Hydroponics.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

From what I've read on autos, I keep reading to start them off in there final home... As in they don't do well being transplanted.
That would make sense because as I understand that they don't get too large.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Check the numbers on those pH kits some of them don't go down as far as you might want them to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom