Ants Congregating On My Stems

• Thread starter Zakattack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zakattack

Zakattack

Hey guys. I saw quite a few Ants for the first time just chilling out at the base of my plant. What's the most non detrimental way of getting rid of these? Thanks

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Check to see if the ants are not farming lerps and or aphids I would use a stick band around the trunk of the plant about 1" off the pot surface . The ants get stuck on the sticky band .

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

Sweet! Thanks @tinderthumbs. Do I just sprinkle some of the powder around where they are?

id put some around the bottom of the planters then after put some in the door way or where ever u think they coming in and that will stop them

Homesteader

Homesteader

Like @One drop said, I suspect aphids. Here is a picture of ants farming some type of aphid on my sunflowers last year. It fascinated me how protective they were.
IMG 20160822 110227

Hempry

Hempry

Oh! Kill em. Any way, and block off entrances. I had ants crawling around last year and thought nothing of it, then a month later I had aphids so bad I couldn't stop them. Lost some nice big plants. I attribute it to ants bringing in aphid eggs.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Oh! Kill em. Any way, and block off entrances. I had ants crawling around last year and thought nothing of it, then a month later I had aphids so bad I couldn't stop them. Lost some nice big plants. I attribute it to ants bringing in aphid eggs.
A aphid can lay so many eggs in a few days it can become a grandmother for the infestation , again rid the plants of ants and you will be better off .

Freshone

Freshone

Mix 1/2 cup sugar,1 1/2 cups borax and 1 1/2 cups warm water,soak cotton balls in the solution and put them on a small container like a teacup saucer.The ants will swarm it(you want that),take it back to the colony and wipe the whole thing out,no more ants!

Zakattack

Zakattack

Mix 1/2 cup sugar,1 1/2 cups borax and 1 1/2 cups warm water,soak cotton balls in the solution and put them on a small container like a teacup saucer.The ants will swarm it(you want that),take it back to the colony and wipe the whole thing out,no more ants!
Gona give this a go ;)

Freshone

Freshone

It works,the only way to get rid of them is to wipe out the nest,try it.You can spray it out of a sprayer without the cotton balls too around your house foundation but water does wash it away or dilute it a bit.Its also best to keep away from pets as much as possible too like anything.

Hempry

Hempry

Come to think of it, haha, I had these super lemony trainwrecks outside and I found ants in the buds all curled up in a fetal lemony coma. I was thinking I might be on to some natural ant killer terps:eyepiece:

sixstring

sixstring

Check to see if the ants are not farming lerps and or aphids I would use a stick band around the trunk of the plant about 1" off the pot surface . The ants get stuck on the sticky band .

Like @One drop said, I suspect aphids. Here is a picture of ants farming some type of aphid on my sunflowers last year. It fascinated me how protective they were.View attachment 681442

as these guys both mentioned check for other insects.i highly doubt they are there to eat your plant.they want something on it like bugs or excessive water on the plant.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Careful adding too much Borate to your soil. Plants need VERY little. Just make sure you keep the cup and a half contained and don't spill it:).

Freshone

Freshone

as these guys both mentioned check for other insects.i highly doubt they are there to eat your plant.they want something on it like bugs or excessive water on the plant.
Right,Ants farm aphids on any plant that will support them,aphids secrete the sugary deliciousness the ants want.
Careful adding too much Borate to your soil. Plants need VERY little. Just make sure you keep the cup and a half contained and don't spill it:).
Yeah you don't put the borax on the plant boss,you mix it with the sugar(which is what the ants are after)and water.The cotton ball is just a carrier,the saucer just holds the wet cottonball,the worker ants find it and take it back to the nest and the borax wipes the queen and colony out,you don't need to use the whole cup and a half either if you don't need it.you could adjust the recipe to however much you need.After their gone no need to continue treating unless you see them again.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I understand, but was under the impression the nest was in the root ball.

J

JamesKnight

You can use some products that are available at the stores that can help you get rid of these problems.

Top Bottom