Any Idea What Is Causing This Bud Stretch?

• Thread starter Creswell
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Creswell

Creswell

Hi- this is my first grow. I'm growing in Coco under CFL (550w). I'm growing C99 and everything has been going well. I flipped to 12/12 on July 23rd so I'm at the end of week 6 in flower. My buds were forming nicely (I think) until the last week or so when the some buds started sprouting at the top and generally stretching.

I've attached two photos of stretching buds/colas and two photos of the ones that look normal to my newbie eyes.

Many thanks for any help!

Fullsizerender
Any idea what is causing this bud stretch 2
Any idea what is causing this bud stretch 3
Any idea what is causing this bud stretch 4
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
You got any light leaks in there when the lights go out? Looks like it might be revegging. When the lights are off check to make sure it’s pitch black in there. You don’t want light getting in at all.

Creswell

Creswell

You got any light leaks in there when the lights go out? Looks like it might be revegging. When the lights are off check to make sure it’s pitch black in there. You don’t want light getting in at all.

Thanks for the reply JWM2, It's definitely pitch black in there, but your comment made me want to check my timer!

Creswell

Creswell

Thanks for the reply JWM2, It's definitely pitch black in there, but your comment made me want to check my timer!
Just been checking timer and it seems ok. When I manually advanced the timer it went on and off at the right times. It's a custom double walled cabinet so no possibility of light leak. Some of the other dense buds have sprouted at the top and I'm worried they will go the same way the other did :(.

Any other ideas as to what might be causing this? Thanks in advance..
(I'll further test the original timer tomorrow)

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
C99 grows fairly dense nugs. It does like to stretch but this seems extreme to me. It’s been a few years since I’ve grown it but it was a nice strain. Too paranoia inducing for my personal taste. It made me almost rip out my grow several times after smoking it.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

C99 we grow has rock hard buds when dried. Like golf balls. Being a short season sativa dominant, C99 likes all the light it can get.

IMHO it needs stronger light, or the lights are to far away. Whats the color k of the lights? Not enough Blue will make them stretch.
Maybe to Hot?? Hot, and needs more light??? Whats PH. What/How Much/How Often are they being fed?

CFL really lose a lot of light when not really close to the plant.

Even 1000w Gavita/Hortilux HPS loses power quickly/in a matter of inches.

Inverse Square Law.
Light and other electromagnetic radiation[edit]
The intensity (or illuminance or irradiance) of light or other linear waves radiating from a point source (energy per unit of area perpendicular to the source) is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source; so an object (of the same size) twice as far away, receives only one-quarter the energy (in the same time period).

More generally, the irradiance, i.e., the intensity (or power per unit area in the direction of propagation), of a spherical wavefront varies inversely with the square of the distance from the source (assuming there are no losses caused by absorption or scattering).

For example, the intensity of radiation from the Sun is 9126 watts per square meter at the distance of Mercury (0.387 AU); but only 1367 watts per square meter at the distance of Earth (1 AU)—an approximate threefold increase in distance results in an approximate ninefold decrease in intensity of radiation.

Creswell

Creswell

What’s the temp day/night?
The temps are always between 22 and 26 Celsius. However, the cabinet in in a garage and weather has got colder last few weeks. So when I water it each day temp can drop to 17 Celsius for 15 mins. Could this be enough to cause stretch?

I'm fairly sure the watering/ nutes are good and the lights are within 6-8 inches of buds that have stretched. In fact, it's the buds closest to the lights that have stretched most.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Just been checking timer and it seems ok. When I manually advanced the timer it went on and off at the right times. It's a custom double walled cabinet so no possibility of light leak. Some of the other dense buds have sprouted at the top and I'm worried they will go the same way the other did :(.

Any other ideas as to what might be causing this? Thanks in advance..
(I'll further test the original timer tomorrow)
Sounds like you run a mechanical timer..They usually have plastic gears that strip, rendering them useless (and fk up our plants)..I only use digital timers (under $15 usd)..Harbor Freight Tools has it for $10..much more reliable and versatile.

Creswell

Creswell

Sounds like you run a mechanical timer..They usually have plastic gears that strip, rendering them useless (and fk up our plants)..I only use digital timers (under $15 usd)..Harbor Freight Tools has it for $10..much more reliable and versatile.
I'm going to pick up a digi timer as a better long term solution. I think the mechanical one was working fine though.

WhtChocolate

WhtChocolate

The temps are always between 22 and 26 Celsius. However, the cabinet in in a garage and weather has got colder last few weeks. So when I water it each day temp can drop to 17 Celsius for 15 mins. Could this be enough to cause stretch?

I'm fairly sure the watering/ nutes are good and the lights are within 6-8 inches of buds that have stretched. In fact, it's the buds closest to the lights that have stretched most.

Have you checked the temp right at the buds? 550w 6-8 inches away seems really close. Looks like foxtailing and biggest cause is too much heat. Just my opinion.

Creswell

Creswell

Have you checked the temp right at the buds? 550w 6-8 inches away seems really close. Looks like foxtailing and biggest cause is too much heat. Just my opinion.
Thanks- I haven't checked at the buds. I'll have a feel for heat tonight.

gwheels

gwheels

C99 grows fairly dense nugs. It does like to stretch but this seems extreme to me. It’s been a few years since I’ve grown it but it was a nice strain. Too paranoia inducing for my personal taste. It made me almost rip out my grow several times after smoking it.
LOL wow do i know what you mean. The first time I smoked the train wreck i grew i almost took my deck plants down. After getting threw a few doobs the effect is less paranoid....or you get used to it.
You can almost here sirens after the creeper sets in. :D

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
your plants have reverted to reveg look at those single bladed leaves fellas. And the foxtailing is crazy as well. But from my house looks like a veg reversion is happening. Photoperiod or light leak issues??

Creswell

Creswell

your plants have reverted to reveg look at those single bladed leaves fellas. And the foxtailing is crazy as well. But from my house looks like a veg reversion is happening. Photoperiod or light leak issues??
Def no light leak, I swapped out the timer for a digi timer (but old mechanical timer seemed to be working on test).
Helpful folk on here have suggested too much heat so I'm going to check that and raise side lights.
I've put so much work into this, I don't know whether I should laugh or cry...

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Def no light leak, I swapped out the timer for a digi timer (but old mechanical timer seemed to be working on test).
Helpful folk on here have suggested too much heat so I'm going to check that and raise side lights.
I've put so much work into this, I don't know whether I should laugh or cry...
Heat is not the cause of those 1 finger leaves bro. Please confirm that I am seeing correctly it appears from your pics that the upper leaves are 1 or 2 fingers only which would be an indicator of reveg heat wont cause revegging.

Latest posts

Top Bottom