Anyberry Canna-cobbler Bars

• Thread starter King Julien
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
King Julien

King Julien

So I've got a lot of frozen fruit from both my own farm and from the local farmer's markets. Strawberries, blueberries, peaches, persimmons, gooseberries, and tons of blackberries because they grow all over the damn place. Picked 40 pints last summer. This season they weren't even worth picking.

Long story short I've got kind of a go to recipe for quick fruit cobbler inspired bars because when you've spent weeks picking fruit the last thing you want is to spend hours cooking it. Only takes a handful of common ingredients and if you over cook it it will just be a little extra gummy. You can really over-do it and it'll turn into an almost caramel like substance long before it burns that is fantastic in it's own right.

3/4 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup Flour
1 Pint Berries of your choice, fresh or frozen
1 Stick of Cold but Not Frozen Butter, 4 ounce bar or half cup
And a mix of spices to your taste but for what I tend to use...
1/4 Tsp Ground Cloves
1/2 Tsp Ground Allspice
1 Tsp Ground Ginger
3 Tsp Ground Cinnamon

If the berries are large they should be chopped up to allow the crumble to surround the pieces more evenly. Blackberry size is preferred.

Place the berries in the bottom of a greased 8X8 baking dish into an oven preheated to 350 degrees. Check on the berries every 10 minutes and take them out as soon as they've released most of their juices but haven't started cooking down at all into a syrup. Time can vary due to using different size and density fruits as well as fresh or frozen.

Sift together the flour, sugar, and all of the spices and then combine that with the butter by hand using your fingers to literally mash the dry ingredients and the butter together bit by bit. Once it has a crumbly consistency and there are no large chunks of butter or dry ingredients left in it then it can be evenly crumbled over the juiced berries in their 8X8 baking pan.

Try not to over mix as it will reduce the awesome texture. It'll still be completely edible and awesome tasting though.

Place back into the oven once you've evenly spread the crumble mixture over the juiced fruit and let it sit in there for a solid 30 minutes.

After this point it takes a bit of watching. I tend to check on it every 10 minutes or so until the edges are starting to look like overcooked jam and the rest of any visible liquid is a regular jam like consistency and everything is getting decently browned. Depending on the berry's native sugar content and moisture content it can take anywhere from 40 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Once it has reached this stage pull it out and let it cool completely for best cutting and dosing results or immediately if you don't mind digging into a hot sticky mess of fruity goodness with no hope of accurate doses.

If done right it will cool and cut into very sticky but manageable bars for convenient dosing. The only real danger is in undercooking and getting a soupy mess that's impossible to dose. Still delicious, just an unmanageable mess. Chill for best cutting results as usual.

I'll be making one of these in the near future so I'll be posting pics up of this recipe sometime in the next week or so.

Top Bottom