Anyone heard of an insecticide called...

• Thread starter Delerium
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
iCultivate

iCultivate

What does the chitin/chitinase do in terms of plant defence? I've never come across anything about it before. I've seen mention of insect frass on here before, but it was always in relation to it being used as an soil amendment, which I presumed was for additional nutrients or trace elements.

-- iCultivate --

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It causes a reaction in plants, a self-defense reaction kind of like stirring up antibodies in our own bodies.

neverbreak

neverbreak

Excellent, I've got some frass samples from the Emerald Cup, as well as my own from my mealworm colony.

Ah fuck... now I've gotta go downstairs and look at what I've got that's the Bti. You're right, but IIRC the label says it'll work in Sciarids. If the Mosquito Dunks are Bti, then I can state unequivocally that I've used those as well (that's why I tried the DiPel).

did ya work out what it was u used that has bti in it? how did ya apply it? makes a difference regardin its efficacy.

neverbreak

Delerium

Delerium

What does the chitin/chitinase do in terms of plant defence? I've never come across anything about it before. I've seen mention of insect frass on here before, but it was always in relation to it being used as an soil amendment, which I presumed was for additional nutrients or trace elements.

-- iCultivate --

Bugs won't attack the plant because of the chitinase is in the plant.
I have to look and see why. between bong hits and shoveling snow.
Systemic application through the root system.
I don't know if you can foliar the frass.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
did ya work out what it was u used that has bti in it? how did ya apply it? makes a difference regardin its efficacy.

neverbreak
No, I forgot. I will literally run downstairs RIGHT NOW and go look, because I should know.

Facepalm

It's Gnatrol. Recommended IPM, but I saw no relief.

Right now, using Cap's bennies, I still have them but the population has not yet exploded as I typically see. However, we're not that far in. I'm still gonna work with the bennies for now.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The rep I spoke with says yes, and the instructions on the samples discuss tea-making times and how to use for foliar and soil drench. He discussed how soaking times garner different results, but lemme tell ya he spit it out pretty quickly so I don't really remember all the details. I took the frass downstairs so I'll have to get myself a reminder of the brand. Good guy, really knew his product and how it works. I liked him.

:D Here we go! I didn't realize they were in Diamond Bar.

http://onfrass.com/

Read the testimonials! This company totally embraces cannabis. :D

Last edited:
Delerium

Delerium

I'm In the same boat with using the benies, think it is redundant. It acts like cap's root pack.
I'd rather use a systemic insecticide than avid, forbid.
Trying to plan ahead.
Tell ya I have never seen so many FG in my life. It isn't bad but with my OCD one is more than I want to see.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Last year they decimated all my seedlings. I didn't mind losing the veggie starts, but the good meds? That shit pissed me OFF. Now that I'm reading these testimonials I'm also going to add frass tea to my regimen. The bennies may not cause a response in the same manner as the frass, and I say it's kinda like when people offer to pray for me--I'll take the help where I can get it.

Delerium

Delerium

Last year they decimated all my seedlings. I didn't mind losing the veggie starts, but the good meds? That shit pissed me OFF. Now that I'm reading these testimonials I'm also going to add frass tea to my regimen. The bennies may not cause a response in the same manner as the frass, and I say it's kinda like when people offer to pray for me--I'll take the help where I can get it.
It is because of the hydro net pots vegging. I think I have had the water level too high, just gave them awesome breeding environment.
Last time I had FG was when using rock wool cubes, seemed the algae on the top of the cube they loved when I first took the clones cuz the leaves didn't cover the top of the cubes.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can go digging around in any deeply shaded area of our property and find them. Places where the sun doesn't shine much, if at all. I never knew that til we started clearing last year, then I discovered one day just smoking a joint while out in the back and fucking around and I noticed... yep. Fungus gnats.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm sure we've got areas of standing water, I use dunks in my catchment tubs. I won't use herbicides on our property. Now we have CHICKENS!

neverbreak

neverbreak

I can go digging around in any deeply shaded area of our property and find them. Places where the sun doesn't shine much, if at all. I never knew that til we started clearing last year, then I discovered one day just smoking a joint while out in the back and fucking around and I noticed... yep. Fungus gnats.

ya know one of the easiest ways of controllin fungus gnat populations? air flow. u stick a fan directly at the pots u want protected n those little fuckers wil barely show their faces. do it from day one, not when ya already have a thrivin population to contend with. they like still air and moist soil. obviously ya can't do much about the most soil part, but high air flow make their livin conditions far less optimal.

neverbreak

iCultivate

iCultivate

That's really cool! So the chitinase breaks down the chitin in the insects' exoskeletons? Can see how that would work.

Could you simply spray plants with chitinase then?

-- iCultivate --

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Anyone heard of an insecticide called "Tanilin"
I'm not sure if the spelling is right but it comes in a small approx. 2 ounce squeeze bottle . I believe the label is yellow and has some Diatomaceous Earth in it claimed by the salesperson.
I know you use 40 drops per gallon.
Local shop had it, pretty steep to @ 44 bucks a btl pre discount.

I tried this product for FGs; it worked well. I will keep it on hand. Was much faster than BTI, in my opinion. We'll see how long it lasts; I'm add more EW castings shortly.

killemsoftly

killemsoftly

Greatthread. Very interested in preventative ipm. More reading to do lol. Thans for the info.
Paz

Last edited:
Delerium

Delerium

That's really cool! So the chitinase breaks down the chitin in the insects' exoskeletons? Can see how that would work.

Could you simply spray plants with chitinase then?

-- iCultivate --
Or water the plant with the frass in it.
I haven't looked into using it as a foliar yet, been busy processing this week.

I'm sure we've got areas of standing water, I use dunks in my catchment tubs. I won't use herbicides on our property. Now we have CHICKENS!
MMMMM Fresh Eggs.

iCultivate

iCultivate

Or water the plant with the frass in it.
I haven't looked into using it as a foliar yet, been busy processing this week.

You should do some experiments and let us know how you go. I've not come across frass in Australia.

-- iCultivate --

Top Bottom