Anyone heard of an insecticide called...

• Thread starter Delerium
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lino

lino

I can't find an MSDS for the product, so please do attach or link it if you do. :) I've mentioned before that fungus gnats are the bane of my indoor cultivation, a chronic, debilitating problem when popping seeds inside, so I'm interested in all organic methods.
So for a rule of thumb, if we cant find a MSDS do provide links to the purchase of the product. Is that what you mean? I ask , remember the "Mighty Wash" discussion, I couldnt find info on it either.

I used "mosquito bits" from the hardware store. and other defenses also but I had no out break of bad bugs this grow. I was mixing it in the soil and tea and foliage. I recently brought in herbs from a green house and now I've seen some gnats in the grow room! I'm transplanting and going thru this regiment in preparation for Spring, I hope its still effective in bug control. Other that Mighty Wash, mostly used preventive when in early veg this is my 1st Successful organic harvest since mid 2013.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You should do some experiments and let us know how you go. I've not come across frass in Australia.

-- iCultivate --
Maybe you can make your own. I raise mealworms. I was told by the rep I mentioned previously that they use a 30-30 screen (whatever that is, I figured it couldn't be too hard to sort out what mesh opening it is). I keep them for my chickenbirds, but as I screen them out of the bran I know I'm also getting frass. I just use a kitchen sieve though, so I also get the wheat bran into the frass. The bagged frass I'm using comes from mealworms.

lino

lino

Seamaid: , I did some kinda dangerous experiments lately with radiation and dont post about it cause I'm not sure how these experiments will be looked upon by fellow farmers.
Others farmers:
All these chemicals can be dangerous, I have a bottle of Chitosan that will melt plants. Chitosan comes in many strengths , Id suggest getting this chemical from companies like General Hydroponics and stay away from industrial chemical companies and labs unless you're truly experimenting. I use this chemical in a dulited solution for seed germination and other experiments.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm using straight up frass here.

My father's a radiologist and my stepson is a radiographer (rocket boosters, submarines, that kinda thing). We've got radiation written all over us! D'oh!

Hey, am I glowing? :D

lino

lino

SeaMaid, dont show this post to your family,,, I'll be the hillbilly radiation tech from Colo...

I could/almost radiated myself blasting some plants with x-rads a few days ago in my backyard during an experiment. Then my hoist strap snapped and I broke a fucking tube on x-radiation blaster! I knew this was bad,,, told students to get lead blankets and I threw them over the X-rad machine. Had a
chemist from the school tell me in a call moments after this happened its not the x-rads that were as harmful as a fucking chemical in the Tube! Anyway everyone decontaminated and the chemist found no breach of my environments,

My point be careful with these chemicals mentioned on this site, what the ol saying, if ya dont know what it is dont fuck with it!

So do I get a job as radiation tech with your family??? LOL

2014 02 20 075419
lino

lino

no hijack other than sea comment,, i want to know bout Tanilin, sorry

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
What does the chitin/chitinase do in terms of plant defence? I've never come across anything about it before. I've seen mention of insect frass on here before, but it was always in relation to it being used as an soil amendment, which I presumed was for additional nutrients or trace elements.

-- iCultivate --
Insect frass is also a good fungal food. Amendment and extracts/aact

There are other ways of invoking the plants defenses. Immune system.
SARS/ISR. Harpin Protein, h202, Aspirin, Chitinase, Jasmonic Acid

Willow/Aspirin = Salicylic Acid

A single encounter with a pathogen may increase resistance to future attacks

When a plant survives infection by a pathogen at one site, it often develops increased resistance to subsequent attacks at sites throughout the plant and enjoys protection against a wide range of pathogenic species. This phenomenon, called systemic acquired resistance (SAR) (Figure 2.23), develops over several days following initial infection. Systemic acquired resistance appears to result from increased levels of certain PR proteins that we have already mentioned, including chitinases and other hydrolytic enzymes. Although the mechanism of SAR induction is still unknown, one of the endogenous signals involved is likely to be salicylic acid. This benzoic acid derivative accumulates dramatically in the zone of infection after the initial attack, and it is thought to establish SAR in other parts of the plant. Another compound that accumulates at the site of infection and may play a role in SAR is H2O2. However, like salicylic acid, H2O2 is unlikely to function as a long-distance signal.
Not to stray off topic, but also worth noting is also ISR
JA = Jasmonic Acid

Interactions of plants with non-pathogenic bacteria can trigger induced systemic resistance

In contrast to SAR, which occurs as a consequence of actual pathogen infection, induced systemic resistance (ISR) is activated by nonpathogenic microbes (Figure 2.24). Colonialization of the root zone by rhizobacteria, for example, not only stimulates the formation of root nodules, but also initiates a signaling cascade throughout the plant. As a consequence of this signaling cascade, which involves JA and ethylene, protective measures are activated throughout the plant, resulting in an enhanced mode of preparedness against pathogen attack. This form of systemic defense activation does not involve salicylic acid as a signaling compound and does not induce the accumulation of typical PR proteins. While certain defensive measures are immediately put in place by ISR, other defensive responses are initiated only after actual pathogen infection, resulting in a faster and stronger response. The advantage of this defensive strategy lies in reducing the direct investment of resources in defensive measures, which would otherwise affect the performance of the plant, resulting, for example, in reduced growth and yield.
{Plant Physiology Ördög Vince, Molnár Zoltán (2011)}

I can in the coco, I just wonder how the UC roots and the frass will work together.
Even strained frass will leave more organic material in your res. Tanlin will be cleaner in that regard.
Potentially uc roots will be weakened by the organic material in a frass extraction and then need to be re-added. (I assume that since bleach is an oxidizer) Good idea to be sure and contact UC and ask what they recommend as being compatible with UC roots.

As far as wiping out fungus gnats, Pyrethium will kill larvae and flyers on contact.
You do need to use a means to kill the fliers and the larvae to get rid of them.
Takes a little bit for the chitin to take effect but works very well. Be it tanlin or frass extract. Have used both with success in coco coir and soil.

RE: Foliar

Foliar Spray of frass. Will protect against molds.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I havent bombed the room since day one. Didn't have a need until now.
fyi, A pyrethium bomb is only one way of killing fliers.
Can also do a spot application with a sprayer. (don't bug me, riptide, pyganic, cut tab off bomb)
Pyrethium can also be used as a root drench to kill the larvae in the medium.
That works as a way to to "start fresh" kill all larvae and as many fliers as you can. (Treat your medium) Then start in with the bio controls. (gnatrol, nematodes, hypoasis, frass etc)

During lights off, If you have a green light. fungus gnat fliers are attracted to the light. I turn it on away from the plants, let them congregate then spray em. Instant death

The fungus gnats do not like neem as well. In addition to being used as a foliar. Water based neem also works well as a root zone application in a ipm program. As far as a hydro product, Azasol does not contain oils, it is easier on the root zone than azamax or azatrol
Less costly source is using neem cake seed meal etc. But that is better suited to soilless soil medium over rdwc.

neverbreak

neverbreak

anyone personally experimented with salicyclic acid? read a bit about it but not tried it yet.

neverbreak

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Aspirin? Yeah, I use it, prophylactically, so my girls don't get a headache. ;) But not as the sole method for control crap like fungus gnats. It's basically an immune system booster, much like lysine does for humans (which I use instead of Valtrex for cold sores, and it works just as well).

lino

lino

Aspirin? Yeah, I use it, prophylactically, so my girls don't get a headache. ;) But not as the sole method for control crap like fungus gnats. It's basically an immune system booster, much like lysine does for humans (which I use instead of Valtrex for cold sores, and it works just as well).
Dam maid, you're turning into some kind of chemist/pharmicist

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I better not! Last time I was playing chemist I caused some kind of a smoke bomb. Plus, I've made more than my fair share of accidental fires. D'oh! :o

Bbang420

Bbang420

Anyone heard of an insecticide called "Tanilin"
I'm not sure if the spelling is right but it comes in a small approx. 2 ounce squeeze bottle . I believe the label is yellow and has some Diatomaceous Earth in it claimed by the salesperson.
I know you use 40 drops per gallon.
Local shop had it, pretty steep to @ 44 bucks a btl pre discount.
That's 2 drops per gallon n whoever told you it has diatomaceous earth in it doesn't know what they're talking about. I used it last night for my fungus gnats problem but I don't see how there could be diatomaceous earth in it. It called tanlin

Bbang420

Bbang420

The thing that drawn me to this stuff is that it says it doesn't interact with plant at all. All's it does is provides a defense against fg n it is perfectly fine to use with your normal feed/watering. I'm gonna see how it works

Bbang420

Bbang420

That's 2 drops per gallon n whoever told you it has diatomaceous earth in it doesn't know what they're talking about. I used it last night for my fungus gnats problem but I don't see how there could be diatomaceous earth in it. It called tanlin
I just looked it up it has a crystal type substance in it but doesn't work in the same fashion as de. Crystals in Tanlin are eating causing the larvae to die from it unlike de which is cutting them from the outside regardless of whether it's eating. I seen someone else say that same thing about having me in it so I went to their site

Top Bottom