Anyone Heard Of Stem Splitting? Does It Work?

• Thread starter Betico
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
xavier7995

xavier7995

Am in the camp that you shouldn't stress the plant...at least not in this way. I would consider wind and such to be more akin to exercise while this causing major damage to the stalk business is like sending the plants on a death march. I have no clue if it would push a last bit of trichrome production...but wouldn't they be rather immature if they are just getting pushed out at the end?

Only thing I have found to work to hurry a plant along is to go with diminishing light schedules, and that was just with 12+ week stuff.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Ah, you just hit the appropriate stresser (depending on whom you talk to) when you mentioned the marathon.

It's like the debate, wind on the plants or not? Wiggle them around or not? In my experience with things like trees (I'm leaving that cut of AC/DC out of this discussion, that girl is just WEAK, nothing I did got her stronger) if you tie them up and support them constantly, you're always going to have to and can expect some other problems to pop up. Instead, let them experience snow load, let them experience wind, etc, and you'll get a stronger plant.

I mean, quite literally, stress is one of the huge drivers of evolution, right? :D

Now, I've never done what's being discussed here, honestly because I didn't think there was anything to it. But I'm willing to keep my mind open.
Ya... you have a good point.... the marathon would be the stress factor... when lactic acid is at its highest in the organism.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I thought this stuff was discredited years ago; ie hang them upside down after harvest so the resin goes to the heads, hammer a nail through the stem, split the stem, don't water days before harvest etc.

Problem is because of long term illegality, there have been no scientific tests done.

Light leaks cause hermies is another old wives tail.
This has been used for years on fruit trees....

If you have a fruit tree that refuses to bloom, you can try this trick. Nails in trees usually do not cause any damage to the trees. Their self-healing mechanism produces scar tissue to enclose and isolate these foreign bodies.

It is pretty messed up that even in 2017 scientists cant study these plants because they dont want to be criminals hahaha

Cashcrop

Cashcrop

anybody ever done stem splitting to increase trichomes a week before harvest? Does it work

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
There's a few techniques my Father uses he has grown outdoors since the 50's splitting is a pain in the butt he said what he dose is uses 2 large smooth rocks and smack them together around the trunk on the plant then no water for a week then pull them up , that's his way and he's now 77 and still uses that method really old school I myself on my outdoor crop I push a large copper nail through the base of the trunk 3 weeks before pull up a small amount of stress seems to work only my opinion my 2 cents .

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Here's an idea.
take 14, healthy plants, jam copper nails through the stems of 7 of them. Treat the other 7 with kindness and respect.
Then cut, dry, cure, and have a few friend compare unmarked samples.
A blind taste test.
Now it's more than an opinion, yah? :)
I found no advantage.
But was surprised to find that it didn't seem to hurt. Yield was smaller, but there was no discernible change in potency, trich coverage, or taste.

Just my mileage, yours could vary. :)

Aloha,
Weeze

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

I know one time I accidentally split a middle cola stem just at the end of veg. I flipped and she did great. I never thought she would survive. I mean this split was 2 ft long all the way from top to bottom. I had a herm issue that grow but not off this girl ironically. So I can kinda understand the principle and wouldn't mind giving this a go.

J

jhartley295

I can agree with that to some point but take a metal rod ad shove it threw your leg after doing a marathon and let me know how ya feel about working hard right after
I realize this post is old, but...after you stick the metal rod thru your leg...your body does things it can't do under low-stress situations. It's an involuntary reaction/survival instinct thing. So you disproved your own post with your example. IMO

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Pathways in the photosynthetic Cannabis l sativate plantoid are unidirectional. Its important to know which direction you are blocking at which times of the day.

See, plants got these things called plant tubes (technical terminography) and different substances travel through different plant tubes. I learned about this in advanced wizard pot grower college.

It is also important to understand the end goal: good Cannabis that tastes like pure cottonmouth hash and not like vomit inducing soil amendments. I learned about taste buds in marijuana wizard college too.

Harvest stress isn't beneficial if you've been stressing the plant with growstore gimmicks since day one. Dont treat her like a whore, treat her like a queen then pinch her royal booty before scurrying out the door you fuckin jesters, leave her confused, appalled and deniably aroused on the throne.

So can anyone answer the question. Which plant tube is being disrupticated when you shove a nail through the center? Which pathways are being blocked? The sugar pipe? (technical term) The nitro gateway (tech term)? The terpene express (new tech marijuana grow term)?

Top Bottom