Applying Microbe Teas With City Water As Carrier... Thoughts?

• Thread starter Perception
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perception

Perception

I've been brewing Aerobic microbe teas for a couple years, and am now looking in to Anaerobic microbe teas as well (I always allow chlorine to evaporate off before brewing). I have about 500sq/ft of vegetable garden beds that I apply microbe teas to several times a year. Up until now, I would wet the ground with sprinklers first, then use a liquid fertilizer attachment on my hose to distribute the microbe tea. (refilling with tea often, and spraying it at highest concentration).

This application method was convenient, and I've always done it this way. Especially convenient when spraying my lawn.

But now I'm wondering if I've been shooting myself in the foot by using city water to spray. The city water where I live is REALLY good. The latest city water report states a total hardness of less than 25ppm, with less than 1ppm of Fluoride & Chlorine each (no ammonia or chloramine).

I've read about how the Chlorine in city water only has a temporary impact on soil microbes, and only in the top 1/2" or so of soil. But wondering if this momentary combination of city water with microbe teas while I spray would hurt the microbes. Thoughts?

(This fertilizer sprayer is similar to what I'm using)

Sprayer
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I've been brewing Aerobic microbe teas for a couple years, and am now looking in to Anaerobic microbe teas as well (I always allow chlorine to evaporate off before brewing). I have about 500sq/ft of vegetable garden beds that I apply microbe teas to several times a year. Up until now, I would wet the ground with sprinklers first, then use a liquid fertilizer attachment on my hose to distribute the microbe tea. (refilling with tea often, and spraying it at highest concentration).

This application method was convenient, and I've always done it this way. Especially convenient when spraying my lawn.

But now I'm wondering if I've been shooting myself in the foot by using city water to spray. The city water where I live is REALLY good. The latest city water report states a total hardness of less than 25ppm, with less than 1ppm of Fluoride & Chlorine each (no ammonia or chloramine).

I've read about how the Chlorine in city water only has a temporary impact on soil microbes, and only in the top 1/2" or so of soil. But wondering if this momentary combination of city water with microbe teas while I spray would hurt the microbes. Thoughts?

(This fertilizer sprayer is similar to what I'm using)
Ya its all good... you dont have enough chlorine to murder all the microbes..if youre that worried then look up vitamin c and chlorine/chloramine

Perception

Perception

Ya its all good... you dont have enough chlorine to murder all the microbes..if youre that worried then look up vitamin c and chlorine/chloramine

Solid. I agree with you, and was just curious what others thought.

On another note, I found something today called Boogie Blue filters. They are inline hose filters for Chlorine/chloramine. Look really interesting. You just put it inline at one end of your hose, and you are good to go! I contacted them today and the outlet pressure of the Boogie Blue Plus+ is 4.5GPM. I'm going to consider hooking one up. http://www.boogiebrew.net/water-filter/

Boogie plus
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Solid. I agree with you, and was just curious what others thought.

On another note, I found something today called Boogie Blue filters. They are inline hose filters for Chlorine/chloramine. Look really interesting. You just put it inline at one end of your hose, and you are good to go! I contacted them today and the outlet pressure of the Boogie Blue Plus+ is 4.5GPM. I'm going to consider hooking one up. http://www.boogiebrew.net/water-filter/
If it makes you feel any better go for it but i don’t think you will need it, less than 1 ppm is such a tiny amount. Also if i am not mistaken sunlight and heat, quickly breaks down chlorine and chloramine and microbes will reproduce very fast imo.

Top Bottom