Aquaponics - Let fish be your Nutrient!

• Thread starter ThePreacher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Utopian811

Utopian811

A dual root zone pot is one that has a soil layer, then a layer of burlap to prevent the soil from getting into sour water and fish, then rock media in the bottom for your flood zone.

This allows one to add additional nutrients for the specific plants if the AP system doesn't add enoug or any at all.

That is what I meant...

G

Utopian811

Utopian811

I have a new question: I am discussing the differences with an aquaponic system and a hydroponic system with an experienced cannabis hydro grower. He is certain that my system is overwatering the plants. I am unsure but also haven't read much about this as an issue.

I have my system set up on a timer for the pump so it's on 15 minutes, off 15, then on and off.... I thought that this (roots being constantly flooded and drained) wouldn't be an issue.... is it or can it be?

Any comments on wether you let the pump and system syphon all the time or do you let it go on and off for the cannabis growing?

Thanks,

G

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I disagree, but what I did with the beds intended for cannabis was place the drain outlet about 6" below the surface of the gravel, instead of the usual 2"-3".

I think all plants might prefer flood and drain, but I feel that it can cause other headaches, so my system is set up as a constant flow-through.

How do your plants look?

Utopian811

Utopian811

Well, it's been a week, they seem pretty happy to me, looking awesome and happy, short and stubby rather than long internodes, and really good growth so far.

I have a few plants in soil from a week earlier as a clone, then added the new clones to the AP system... The clones in the AP are growing faster for sure, and have almost caught up in the growth of the week older soil plants ( older from the time they were added to a media from the clones I mean)...

This is try 2 for me, my first failure at using AP was not knowing PH and now that the systems running at 6.2 everyone looks happy happy here...

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the effort!

G

Top Bottom