Are Amino Acids Needed With Bennies?

• Thread starter Ronnie88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Thanks @leadsled, are you using Ferti and PPD as primary N sources? If so can you elaborate on how?
No, currently I use sn14. I also apply fish and crab hydrolysate. My soil has multiple sources of water insoluble N in my medium. crab meal, kelp meal, neem meal, insect frass to name a few of the ingredients. Basically a modified clack coot mix.

I innoculate with nitrogen fixing microbes as a soil pretreatment, drench and foliar.

SN14 is used as a foliar and drench. 1/2 tsp a gallon weekly.
Will be making the switch to ferti nitro when I run out.

In addition to the higher cost over ferti nitro, The ppd has iron and other elements. Fish would be more likely to contain heavy metals over soy as well.

A work in progress that may change as I test and try things out.

In the near future, I will have a nitrate meter. That way I can monitor what is in the plant and in the soil.
Then "ask the plant" when to apply more. Rather than "blindly" applying once a week. I currently go off how they look, as well as sap ph and brix tests.

My goal is to monitor nitrates, apply as needed. Ensure that the recipe for microbes to do nitrogen fixation is in place.
Hope that helps.

Dude it's insane how much knowledge on this subject you have. Great info bro! Seriously much respect!
I read books, articles and love to learn. Just sharing the some of the information that is out there.

Those people who wrote the articles deserve the credit. I am just sharing some of what I have learned.
Happy to hear it was helpful information.

HeLLMuTT

HeLLMuTT

Thinks of Stinks
Supporter

In the near future, I will have a nitrate meter. That way I can monitor what is in the plant and in the soil.
Then "ask the plant" when to apply more. Rather than "blindly" applying once a week. I currently go off how they look, as well as sap ph and brix tests.

My goal is to monitor nitrates, apply as needed. Ensure that the recipe for microbes to do nitrogen fixation is in place.

That's extremely cool. Those meters are awesome tools.

Talk about "dialing it in".

As always man thanks for all the great info and growing direction you point me to. Your meds speak for themselves.

Curious what you think of these guys. I've been looking at a bunch of their stuff for a little while. I like the prices and the simple yet informative videos they make for most of the products.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
That's extremely cool. Those meters are awesome tools.

Talk about "dialing it in".

As always man thanks for all the great info and growing direction you point me to. Your meds speak for themselves.

Curious what you think of these guys. I've been looking at a bunch of their stuff for a little while. I like the prices and the simple yet informative videos they make for most of the products.
Yes, they are handy. Thanks!!

Here is one product I glanced at and saw was marked up about 300%.
Neem cake price at kelp 4 less $113.00 for 10 lbs
Neem resource sells 10 lbs for $34.00.
http://neemresource.com/OnlineOrder.html

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Hi all, old thread, but it came up in the search when I was digging around about using amino acids, specifically the ferti-nitro brand.

In doing some more research I came across a pretty in-depth study on the use of l-amino acids and their effects on crop growth. Here's the link for anyone interested: http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/36496.pdf

What I gathered from my initial reading of the paper was that, like most everything else, less is more with aminos when it comes to growth and ultimately, yield. It appears this is because their cheating properties can lead to an over abundance of N (I may be wrong here, but it makes sense to me).

The experiments in the paper also showed that most of the NO3 chelated by the aminos accumulated in the plant roots and much less in the stems and leafs, perhaps this can be remediated with foliar applications.

My goal here isn't to add an additional nitrogen source, cano3 provides me with plenty, but theoretically if I integrate l-aminos into my fertigation program, it, along with around 45ppms of fulvic acid, may allow me to decrease my fertilizer usage overall.

Not to mention the overall increase in photosynthesis amino acids trigger.

the ferti-nitro label rate is a 1:4000 dilution (or ~.95g/gal by my math) applied every three weeks or (from my interpretation) at each pivotal growth stage in flower (I'm thinking flip, then again at the end of stretch).

So here's my question, would it be beneficial to use a lower concentration for continuous fertigation with it and use foliar application at the above "pivotal points"? For the record, I'm growing in coir, DTW, irrigating 1-3x daily, depending on all the usual factors.

Also, if anyone sees holes in my logic please poke holes in it, my understanding of all this is amateur at best.

And, for anyone interested, here's a good read on amino acids and other chelators and their use in hydroponic systems: https://manicbotanix.com/beneficial-additives-in-hydroponics/

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Hey mods, I just realized this thread referenced the amino subject in the context of biowar use, making my post not really appropriate here. I'll start a new thread in the nutrients and fertilizer section. if ya'll can delete this and the above post I'd appreciate it.

P

Pimples

Amino acids like glycine and high quality fulvic acid shuttles the hardest to move around and absorb nutrient minerals into your plant without much energy spent by the plant itself and in a wider pH range. Thats the idea behind the extra amino acids besides the ones the plant itself makes. Think "organic chelators" in regards to calcium and micro nutrients especially iron. And for the most effective use of aminos and fulvics....mix with a kelp seaweed and yucca for a weekly foliar spray. This is how you really want to deliver it.

Last edited:
P

Pimples

And instead of reverse osmosis filters stripping out then re adding your own calcium magnesium and iron to your tap...try a quality plant hydrolysate amino acid and a fulvic. See how quick those tap water carbonates actually get used. Leave the calmag bottles on the store shelf.

Latest posts

Top Bottom