Autoflower clone success (not impossible)

• Thread starter Dr. Detroit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

I know it sounds like a contradiction in terms, but I have found a way to successfully clone autoflowering (Ruderalis) plants with a reasonable amount of vegetative growth returned to the clone.

After realizing the age-determinance of the autoflowering plants was entirely hormone regulated (similar to the photoperiod determinance of Indica and Sativa), I began to play around with certain factors of my cloning technique.

After about 3.5 to 4 weeks of vegetative growth nearly all Ruderalis' will show sexual characteristics. The most important aspect of my technique is quick identification of sexual characteristics formation. It's paramount to take your cutting at the earliest possible moment.

If you don't already know, it's best to take any cuttings from the lowest point of your plant. This is because the hormone levels of the old growth are much more stable than those nearer the apical meristem. Well, this characteristic is doubly important with Ruderalis clones, as it literally serves a dual purpose. The lower branches haven't yet received the signal from the top that sex has been determined and to start bud production. It's only a small window of a few hours that you'll have to take your cutting if you want to do this properly.

Root your cutting under 24\7 light of full spectrum and low intensity before transferring the rooted clone into your grow medium. Once established you can pour on as much light as you can provide and the clone will grow vegetatively for about 80% of the parent's final size, producing bud at the same percentage. The physical age of the clone may be twice as large as it should be, but the flowering time is the same as it is from a seed.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

puffinpiff

interesting... but like jkhan asked, how do you determine when it is time to take cuttings? sit next to the plant for a couple days with a magnifying glass? if this is true, and the clones actually do reach about 80% of their mother's size, this could switch up the whole auto game. pics would be appreciated as well if possible. thanks

homebrew420

homebrew420

Yeah this seems a bit counter intuitive. If it is age and hormone related then would the bottom be older growth? why can't we try to spray with the right hormones, not that I know what those might be. Just saying. I would like to know then how long before the clone is flowering? Again, being age related, it should happen fairly quickly, no?

Peace

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
hmmm:evilgrin0040: :character0029:

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

Why does everyone here demand pictures like it's 2004 and I'm an underage girl on Myspace? I'm not a high-tech guy, honestly. I don't even have a digital camera...

I was just given a public grow room, so I'm sure that some photos are inevitable now. It's only an 8' x 15', but there's a giant window for collective members to see the progress of the mothers and clones inside. I'm thinking of buying a gorilla mask.

You really do have to hawk your garden for this method to work. Even ten or twelve hours too late and you'll not get nearly any vegetative regrowth at all. You're basically just nurturing your cuttings at the exact point that they've received a strong "grow larger" signal from their growth hormones. You'll have a couple of weeks of vegetative growth if you've done it properly before the plant goes to bloom again.

The real breakthrough came when I realized that the autoflowering seeds that I've been working with weren't Ruderalis at all, probably; they're Indica's that have been early-selected for several generations. Age determinance isn't written in stone, so it's possible to trick the plants into going back into vegetative growth (for a bit at least) because they've got that photoperiod determinant gene locked hidden in their genome just waiting for exploitation.

D

DJSkunkApe

so I'm confused Dr.Detroit are you really cloneing ruderalis or are they indicas?
also do you have pics yet?
they do have disposible digital cameras at walgreens or cvs now if you wanted to document your process(of cloneing).

G

geoduck

here's my clone of rudy's:
273792d1301158009-colorado-bud-pictures-rooted-leaf.jpg

:sun
or not but it's just as useful

F

FromGROtoFLO

Ruderalis of the blackberry kush is through the roof so the strain is an autoflower strain. I have mothers and take several hundered cuts a month...not sure why this thread is such a big deal?

F

FromGROtoFLO

I dont do anything different. I have several trays of them brewing up now in rapid rooter plugs. One of my workers shut off the light for a few hours and i can see minor trichomes showing. Just a matter of keeping lights on 24/7 and be careful of the chems you use, ive found specific nutrients will induce flowering regardless.

B

Buddy Hemphill

PLEASE SHARE!!

I was gifted a clone that is doing exactly what the BB kush you described is doing.

I just pulled damn near 2 p's/ candle. no shit.

I am about to lose the friggin strain because I cant figure out how to get it out of flower....

I was told be an old dude that HE bred this cut I have (prolly BS now that I have looked a little)....funny....when I took it to a club the guy says"Oh,,,,thats BB kush!"

PLEASE SHARE what you are doing to keep them vegging..

O

Old grower

Alright I will tell u one of the best autos to clone first I would
Say auto pounder it is a big yield and takes a little more
Time then normal autos witch means they are a little easier to
Clone and also to say dr Detroit is right it is all about timing and I
Will try to upload pics peace

Thoth

Thoth

Dr. Detroit, I'm confused. Are you actually cloned ruderalis or not? You said you were in your first post, but later said they were indicas.

A window of a few hours is pretty small...

W

wisco420

Just started with the whole autoflower thing. I'm a registered patient in michigan and could use help with all this. Do I change my cfls bulb after it starts bud? I know the light schedules and its doing awesome but just wanna be sure. Here's my berry ryder that I started. I've got auto pounders and I'm curious as to when to clone it. I plan on doing 12 auto pounders outside in my enclosure this year but only have 5 auto lber seeds.. Ne suggestions thanx

Indianfields 20140404 00060
CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy

The real breakthrough came when I realized that the autoflowering seeds that I've been working with weren't Ruderalis at all, probably; they're Indica's that have been early-selected for several generations.

so I'm confused Dr.Detroit are you really cloneing ruderalis or are they indicas?

Dr. Detroit, I'm confused. Are you actually cloned ruderalis or not? You said you were in your first post, but later said they were indicas.

I'm with DJ and Thoth... Are these just early flowering Indica's?? It would seem so because even if you managed to clone an auto (which isn't impossible), regardless of whether you kept your lights on 24/0, 20/4, or 18/6 the cuttings would continue to flower along with the mother once rooted. That's why they're called auto-flowers, because they automatically flower determined by age, not the light cycle.

Peace

iCultivate

iCultivate

Call me a skeptic, but I'm not buying it. Just doesn't seem possible to me.

-- iCultivate --

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Nothings impossible I'm trying it
IMAG0266 1

As you can see one pack of fems :cigar:
I'll be using GLR for veg and Diminishing light flower schedule

Top Bottom