AZATROL/AZAMAX VS. MITES A SCAM??

• Thread starter cheaplastic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Flexy123

The reason why some folks *probably* didn't have success with Neem (or Karanja) based products is that they DON'T USE THEM PROPERLY.

* Almost all Neem/Karanja products, whether it's "pure oils" or ready-made insecticides like Aza/max/trol (or the hundreds of similar Neem/Azadiractin based products) are *EMULSIFIABLE*

That means that you cannot just mix them in water, especially not in hard, tap water.

What you need to do is make an emulsion (to mix the oil in), you do this preferably with insecticidal soap ("potassium soap"), not dishwashing liquid and for sure not hand-soap. (Not everything that says "soap" on the package actually IS soap, by the way). Use luke-warm bottled water for that. (If you use hard tap water you will have difficulties getting the soap to emulsify properly. My tap water is so hard I get flakes, so the soap wont even lather right). Softer water is also better because you will see the soft water will "stick" to the leaves MUCH better while hard water doesn't)

After you have your emulsion, add the Neem/Karanja whatever oil according to instructions, most of the time 1-1.5ml per L emulsion/water. Most vendors actually say that you should also ph your solution to 4-6. (If you make an emulsion for Neem from soap it will have a sky-high ph like 10-11. So, finally add ph down or lemon juice until ph is about 5).

So, the proper procedure:

Soft/bottled water --> emulsion with some insecticidal (potassium) soap --> add Neem --> ph to 4-6

THEN you have a proper emulsion w/ Neem/Karanja and can spray.

And while you spray, shake and agitate your sprayer and don't let it settle.

It's best to spray at low light, so either early morning or in the evening. Not just because it would burn the plants in direct sun, also because Neem/Karanja is photosensitive.

If you have a massive pest problem (mites etc.) repeat in 3 days..otherwise repeat every two weeks.

And yes I made the same rookie mistakes, getting Aza-XYZ product, mix with tap water...and then spray. Obviously this is hardly effective. You need to do it right.

And yes (old thread, I know), Aza-XYZ/Neem is not a "kill on contact", it's a growth inhibitor. But it HAS its uses, of course. I just got done spraying and literally hosing off my mite infected plants...so even if I hosed all of them down and killed them with insecticidal soap, you want something to PREVENT THEM FROM COMING BACK. And this is where the Neem stuff comes in. As the one guy mentioned, hey, maybe you oversaw that tiny egg there while killing and spraying. Give it a week, max, and your mites will be back. That's why you want Aza-XYZ/Neem, also as a preventive measure.

** And this is why you should also have insecticidal soap: a) for killing them on contact when you spray down your plants (use a good garden pressure sprayer for that, no lame hand pump) AND b) for the emulsion for your Neem oil. It's the perfect combo! And the best: Totally natural, non-toxic etc. and the potassium soap actually turns to fertilizer (potash), so it's actually beneficial for your plants.

Last edited:
C

ctstoreowner

Ive been doing some research regarding the effectiveness of products such as Azatrol/Azamax/AzatinXL and i cant find one IPM publication/pdf that mentions AZADIRACHTIN's mode of action to be at all effective in controlling spidermites. I originally was drawn to the product AzatinXL (%3.o) because it 2X more concentrated than Azamax/Azatrol and appeared to be more cost effective. after reviewing the product label PDF it mentions nothing about spider mite control.

I found this strange, considering that both Azatrol/Azamax are quick to mention it is highly effective in spidermite control. So I thought to myself, how could a product (AzatinXL) that has the exact same active ingredient at 2X the concentration not be effective at controlling mites??

I decided to email OHP (The company that manufactures AzatinXL as well as the very popular miticide FloramiteSC.)

This is the response I received from the director of technical services:

"I have seen several labels (Azatrol/Azamax) that have suggested that azadirachtin will control mites but I have not seen any true results in over 20 years of working with this active. The most common mite mentioned on some labels is the tomato russet mite. Currently our Azatin label does not recommend for mite control. Hope this is helpful."

I have come to the conclusion that it seems as if General Hydroponics/Gordon's is lying and misleading us gardners. i have spoke with many other farmers that have followed the labels recommendations and have not seen any improvement with their mite populations..

Can SKILLED and ARTICULATE farmers chime with their own points of view on using these products and its effectiveness regarding spidermites?
i to have used azamax and azatrol with same results i have found nukem by flying skull stuff is great plants dont lie thats my favorite saying this stuff feeds them kills mites and eggs and fights molds blights ect.

P

Pimples

Most people that use neem oil/Azadiractin dont follow up applications religiously every 3 to 4 days for up to 7 or 8 times. Because its a bitch. And use a surfactant like yucca. And mix very very well. 2 tbsp of neem and one tbsp of yucca per gallon of warm water. The better its agitated aand mixed the more effective. Your mites will be gone if you follow through with repeat apps. But for a one to 3 app every 3 to 4 days and be done with it...Mighty Wash always worked for me. But that shit is expensive. You gotta catch them bastards early. And be diligent on covering ENTIRE plant. Topside and especially underside of leaves. For a sure way...mix up a one two punch of 2 sprays of mighty wash with 2 sprays of neem /aza spaced 3 days apart. Lights off. Mites will more than likey be gone. Once they are..do not take in any cuts from anyone. I dont care if its your grandma. And foliar neem/yucca once every 10 days or so as a preventative in veg. Keep a clean grow show in veg and flower rooms. Super clean...not hlaf assed. You will know if its a hlaf assed growroom clean job because when you hurry up to get done...your angel side of your brain will tell you that was a shitty clean job. And this is only for the 2 spotted mite. Tetranychus Urticae. Not the dreadful and crop destroying Russet Mite. That's a whole another dealy. And one i wish to never mess with. I feel sorry for you out west growers. Heard the Russet mites out there are something fierce and yall pass them around like a common cold. Lol

Last edited:
Bbang420

Bbang420

Ah yes, Abamectin is generic avid. same mode of action. dont have any personal experience with it tho
If that's the case careful using it on weed it's not really meant for consumable products unless you're doing outdoor n at least 3 months until harvest. I was going to use it on broad mites a few years ago outdoors but dude at grow shop steered me away from it bc how late it was in the season. It's supposed to be the best product against mites too bad its toxic for pretty much every other living thing

Top Bottom