Bacterial vs. Fungal Dominate Tea

• Thread starter Landfishd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Landfishd

Landfishd

I was reading a little into a book my dad just received in the mail, Teaming with Microbes", and read into a little (very little) why different plants like either one, or a 50/50 mix as cannabis usually does.

Bacterial teas are usually more basic and fungal dominant are more acidic. In a pot of soil when the PH swings acidic the nitrogen is converted to a form that is not taken in by some plants. I'm really hazy on the details because I didn't get a chance to really read it, and really I'm not sure if I have it right at all. I think that is the gist of it though.

So why this is really interesting is because in organic growing you shouldn't really have to worry so much of using up all the nitrogen in your soil towards the end of flowering if you just focus on introducing fungal dominate teas from that point on or maybe start introducing them a little before that point. I'm not exactly sure if this would make much of a difference than just mixing up some acidic water, but it sounds easier to me if you just let nature take care of the specifics, and it is probably a lot more stable.

As the soil ages it may just naturally become more fungal dominate by itself also.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Awesome discussion. Been doing some of the same reading. Gonna do my normal brew during veg, and experiment with fungal brews during flower. Supposed to aid with p and k uptake. Keep it simple!

outwest

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

When you mess with the acidity of the soil it might affect the uptake of the other nutrients aswell. What are you guys putting into your fungal dominate teas?

Landfishd

Landfishd

you can pre-charge your compost by giving it some baby oatmeal. In about 7 days the fungas will have grown into visible hyphae

Other foods can grow the fungas as well but baby oatmeal is supposed to be the best

Landfishd

Landfishd

I've got some Microbe Catalyst from Simplici-Tea usually I just use about a quarter-half as much of that to every whole of compost/ewc, a little humic acid, and that's about it.

I was adding some bennies from cap too but I have ran out of all but the foliar

dirk d

dirk d

there is no short cut to brewing AACT's properly. You must spend lots of hours reading and researching. good luck.

Landfishd

Landfishd

there is no short cut to brewing AACT's properly. You must spend lots of hours reading and researching. good luck.

With all due respect, no one said anything about short cuts, so I don't know what you are talking about.

dirk d

dirk d

I was reading a little into a book my dad just received in the mail, Teaming with Microbes", and read into a little (very little)

I'm really hazy on the details because I didn't get a chance to really read it

Lot's of people get disappointed with brewing AACT's because they don't put the time into learning how to brew properly...All i was saying...

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Is it just me or did we all get into the fungal teas at the same time lol...this is cool!!!

Seems everyones reading that book right now. Amazon recommended "Teaming with Microbes" to me I wonder if thats everybodys story?

Best of luck in your brewing adventures!!!

BNUTTHEHUT

BNUTTHEHUT

I do know that Bacteria and Protozoa teas are much easier to culture than fungi. In terms of nutrient cycling they both do that very similar. One of the main benefit to fungal brews is it creates an environment that makes it very difficult for pathogens to take hold, so you would usually do it at transplant. At least that is what organic berry farmers do. I wouldnt really worry about locking out Nitrogen, that would have to have a pretty large drop, I would worry about locking out Phosphorous with a ph drop, since it has a smaller target window. And you can feed the Fungi with fish hydrolysates.

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

I have had great results with using 1 cup EWC split into two jars, with about a handfull of oatmeal in each. Put enough water in the jar to moisten it all up, not a soup but moist. Cover the jars with lids with holes place in dry dark area ; wait about 5-7 days an the jars will be full of this white fuzzy stuff. Toss this into water I have left out for days ,throw in 2 tablespoons of molasses brew for 3 and its good to go.

Landfishd

Landfishd

Lot's of people get disappointed with brewing AACT's because they don't put the time into learning how to brew properly...All i was saying...
Ok fair enough, but I never said that is the only research ive ever done on the subject. Its a book that my dad had just received and I had a little time to peak at it. Been learning about teas for a few months and studying them for many hours under a decent microscope. I just wanted to start a discussion about the differnces between fungal and bacterial dominant teas and wha t peoples experiences are with them

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

True MH, but if you follow most of the recipes you are pretty much guaranteeing to be brewing something good . I have a microscope that I might have borrowed from High School ( yeah its old) So what you think just pull a couple of drops place it on a slide and look for anything moving ??

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Yes. if you follow the right simple directions...you are almost surely gonna get something good.

You ever looked at Tim Wilsons site? Alot of his contributions on the forum went with the great purge.:(

If I didn't have a constant string of medical bills (surgery on tues...suckage) I would have bought the scope and DVD he sells. And I will eventually.

http://www.microbeorganics.com/#What_is_Compost_Tea_

this dude is Yoda.

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

Thanks for the link, I will defiantly need to read a lot more into that and maybe this old microscope might now be of some use !!

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Anyone using products from Progress Earth with their teas? Their Earth Kelp and Earth Syrup are off the chain. The Earth Syrup is dry powder and smells so sweet you want to eat it. The Earth Kelp is thick and syrupy and smells like the salty ocean air with some sweetness to it. Stuff works amazingly well.

turbo14

turbo14

I like em' both and apply both every week :)

Bacterial -

5 Gallon Bucket

4 Gallons of RO
50ml Molasses
50ml Fish and Seaweed
1 Cup Humisoil
1 Cup Kelp based compost
1 Cup EWC

Dilute spray in half when using as Foliar sprays. Full strength as drench

Fungal -

5 Gallon Bucket

4 Gallons of RO
2 TBS Soft Rock Phosphate
50ML Diatomic Humus
50ML Fancy Fish
2 Teaspoons of Kelp
1 Cup EWC
1 Cup Humisoil
1/2 Cup 50/50 Diatomic Humus

Spray and drench at full strength.

Tell me ya ain't crushin' life now.....

turbo

Samoan

Samoan

I like em' both and apply both every week :)

Bacterial -

5 Gallon Bucket

4 Gallons of RO
50ml Molasses
50ml Fish and Seaweed
1 Cup Humisoil
1 Cup Kelp based compost
1 Cup EWC

Dilute spray in half when using as Foliar sprays. Full strength as drench

Fungal -

5 Gallon Bucket

4 Gallons of RO