rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
All the tap roots were sprouted.
The longest 2 being 1"
And the smallest 1 was .25"

So I filled up six 4" pots with soil.
I rinsed out all the soil in these new pots.

Then I went 1 seedling at a time.
And dug a thin hole that's depth matched the total height of the seed and it's taproot.
So each one was a custom job ;-)
Green pots are the "green" plants

Now I turned the fan in the room on to help with air circulation and soil drying.
I don't want my children dying from rot.

I'm going to buy a spray/mister bottle to lightly/gently moisten my new seedlings.
This will help me prevent eroding them with water lol (lesson learned with the radish's).

20160202 214738

Got some Indian classical music playing in there

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Received my 6" bug screen with activated charcoal insert. I didn't need the insert it just came with the screen. But on the plus side it increases filtration efficiency of the screen so I will use it even after the carbon wears out.
Or remove it if it impedes flow. It doesn't matter.

I got it for the veg chamber to help keep my children free of disease, pollen, dust, cat hair etc.
I have a 6" duct flange for the vent hole.
So I just took it out of the tent.
Slid the screen and carbon insert over flange.
Then put flange back in place and voila.
I have clean air for my children.

My box of latex gloves also arrived.
Now my cleanliness can go to the next level.

On a side note all 6 seedlings are beginning to emerge from the ground.
The seed shells are all at ground level ready to bust through.

And so far I see 1 radish sprout.
(My rough initial watering eroded some of the seeds and possibly relocated some.)
So I will wait and see who makes it/ who does not.
Then replant from there having learned my lesson.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I don't know who's more excited about that radish lol me or you. Once I'm relocated, I'm definitely doing some indoor veggie gardening. Be that weirdo that pays the power to grow some tomatoes inside, because weed is so over done :p nah, it's cool as hell man. stoked to see the survivors!

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I don't know who's more excited about that radish lol me or you. Once I'm relocated, I'm definitely doing some indoor veggie gardening. Be that weirdo that pays the power to grow some tomatoes inside, because weed is so over done :p nah, it's cool as hell man. stoked to see the survivors!

So after the radish soil erosions.
I went pot by pot slowly and carefully finding the relocated seedlings digging through the soil by hand.
Then I repositioned the sprouts and seeds.
Looks like I will germinate 11/12 of em (1 seed went missing during the search and was never found).

So far 7 of those radishes have sprouted above ground already
20160203 221028
20160203 221019

I also had 2 of the bagseed seedlings shed their shells.
This is when it starts to get good.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
20160204 170537

The 7 radish plants that have sprouted are doing well (black pots).
A few more will show as the days pass.
20160204 171326

The 6 green trays are bagseed.
5/6 are doing well getting chlorophyll in their cotyledons and first leaves are showing too.
20160204 171216

1 of them is a runt the shell is gone but the leaves are whitish green still.
It is standing up and alive, it just needs to get some chlorophyll in its cotyledons and then open them up.
20160204 171309

Hey jumpincactus,
The can fan is hung in the upper chamber hooked up to the fan speed controller. Everything works the Mercury 4 fan controller works with the can fan.
20160204 172613

The mercury 4 fan controller is sweeet I'm glad I got it.
20160204 172623

With the idle set low the 6" can fan is relatively quiet. I'm assuming that even at its lowest setting it will cycle 20 cu ft of air with no problem.

Now it's just a matter of hanging this giant charcoal filter (6"x16") lol.
20160204 173033

Received my ph kit, earth juice (catalyst, grow, bloom), apollo 9 timer for the T5 lighting and fan in the lower chamber.
20160204 172731

Ordered earth juice micro blast, a temp+humidity Guage, Carolina reaper seeds.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Got a few more items in the mail
Ph meter, ppm meter, 2 air king clip on fans
20160205 173056

Accurite indoor/outdoor temp+humidity guage.
The "outdoor" is the reading for inside the tent where the wireless sensor lies.
The "indoor" is the room temp (the display reads from its location).
20160205 180628

Got 2 air king clip on fans, 1 for each chamber.
20160205 173127

And last but not least.
My high performance air intake.
20160205 172639

20160205 172717

I made sure to buy it in black so it would blend in well with the tent color.

I looked for quite a bit to find this filter.
Every online site that sells a "intake air filter for your grow" are asking around $80+.

Well after a bit of searching through universal air intake catalogs of varying automotive brands. I needed a compact filter with a 6" flange inside diameter.
That way it would clamp onto the 6" flange I got for the tent.

Spectre seemed to be the winner for me cause I could get it in black, red, or blue. I got black.
And the total was $30.59 saving me approx $47.95.
And it is washable and reuseable.

For those looking to buy this filter here it is on spectre's site (cheapest).

I can't wait to see if it has a whine to it when my can fan spools up :-D

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Today is the start of day 7 (starting from when I placed the seeds on wet paper towels to germinate.

Here is an update.
20160206 053340

I'm not sure if the runt of the bagseed is gonna make it.
I suspended it in water to see if I can let it heal up & grow roots. If it dies at least I tried.
I always have the other 5 and they are healthy and happy as can be.

The past 2 days I have been using earth bloom catalyst.
I have a 32oz spray bottle I fill with water.
Then 6-10 drops of earth juice catalyst mixed in.
I'm using it to water the seedlings and as a foliar feed.

They seem to like it.

The radishes are also doing great.
I will have another 1 breach the soil in the next couple days.
Then I think that will be all of them.
Next time I will germinate them on a paper towel.
It is much more forgiving.

hiiipower

hiiipower

There's a runt in almost every pack, I always plan on it.

Try planting seeds directly in rapid rooters next time. Then you don't have to move them when they have such a tiny fragile tap root. Lots of people and breeders plant directly into them.

Have fun

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Today I got some 6" hose clamps so that I could set up my ventilation system.
20160206 220042

The trickiest part for me was getting the light in the right place.
Seems like a simple task right?
Just hangthe light, connect the ducts your good right?.....NOT!

First the weight of the duct on either end can shift the orientation left, right, forward or back.
Up and down is controllable via ratchet hangars.
But the cool tube can twist on its axis throwing light in the wrong directions.

So to compensate I hung the light at the max lower limit of it's travel. That is "12 above the top of that white board floor resting atop the pots. This was because it will be the starting position so why not be ready?

Then the cool tube twisted on its axis had to be corrected. So I twisted the ducts on ea side of the cool tube then re-tightened the ducting hose clamps. Until it was level.

Then I needed to compensate for the cool tube pulling inward on 1 end and out on the other.
So I cut a custom length of chain to attach the 2 clips on the cooltube.

Used the leftover chain to attach to that chain.
I used leverage to my advantage by adjusting it's position from left to right.
Since I needed the left side to come out more I hooked it's side all the way to the left first.
Then the right connection point had to be further away because its side of the cool tube was closer.

I then attached a ratchet hangar to this chain center and tightened it until the light fixture was exactly where I wanted it. Adjusting the top chains right side further left until the cool tube was aligned.

Last step was to turn on the can fan and see where the final resting position of the cool tube lied after the ductwork pressurized.

Once this was done I re tweaked all the settings one last time and the light was right.

But when the fan is not on the light fixture is in a sub-optimal position.

I didn't realize how much work this would be lol.

The charcoal filter won't be hung until the flowering period. That way it will stay "phresh"

I got the light fired up and let it warm up.
Then set the acurite sensor under the light.
About 6 inches above the surface, or 6"below the light fixtures lowest point.
I also affixed the fan controller sensor in the same location.

I watched and recorded the peak temp then adjusted the fan controller accordingly (man this mercury 4 controller is sweeet!).

Peak temp from the sensor was 85 degrees 6" below the cool tube's lowest point.

The temps should stay reasonable in the tent.
All this was done with the tent closed.
The air intake filter did a great job of allowing the air flow with minimal restriction.

I can't wait to see if it has a whine to it when my can fan spools up :-D

It doesn't :(

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Looking good so far. Ime, the paper towel step is unnecessary. Soak the seeds in a shot glass of tap water for 24 hours, throw 1/4-1/2" in the dirt and if they're gonna come up, they'll come up. If they aren't, no paper towel or humidity dome or anything else is gonna make it. Even still, if they're a pain in the ass at that age, probably gonna be a pain in your ass their whole life.

Keep us posted, I've been curious about growing tuber type veggies indoors, have a yam plant growing right now but I'm at a loss of the next move to make with the damned thing.
While the paper towel method is for lack of better terms an ole hippy method one could surmise that the shot glass method is just as unnecessary of a step. I have used all methods and have had great success in germing using all of the methods. Think about it, why soak in a shot glass when you can go right into dirt and still have the same germ rates as paper towels or shot glass soaking. In nature the plant goes thru its life cycle dies and sheds its seeds directly onto the forest floor where it thru critters and wind, snow find its way down to the humus of the forest floor and sits until spring when the temps are such that germination can take place. So in keeping with a ala natural method straight to dirt seems the best way to go and then you remove 2 unnecessary steps 1. paper towels and 2. shot glass soaking.

One method I have seen or heard of on many forums is scarifying the seed hull with a nail file or sand paper. This is a method I would not recommend as the chance of damaging the embryo is great if not done properly.

Like you said if the seed is viable it will pop no matter the method as long as there is adequate temps and moisture. :smoking:

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
View attachment 570158
The 7 radish plants that have sprouted are doing well (black pots).
A few more will show as the days pass.
View attachment 570163

The 6 green trays are bagseed.
5/6 are doing well getting chlorophyll in their cotyledons and first leaves are showing too.
View attachment 570160

1 of them is a runt the shell is gone but the leaves are whitish green still.
It is standing up and alive, it just needs to get some chlorophyll in its cotyledons and then open them up.
View attachment 570161

Hey jumpincactus,
The can fan is hung in the upper chamber hooked up to the fan speed controller. Everything works the Mercury 4 fan controller works with the can fan.
View attachment 570166

The mercury 4 fan controller is sweeet I'm glad I got it.
View attachment 570167
With the idle set low the 6" can fan is relatively quiet. I'm assuming that even at its lowest setting it will cycle 20 cu ft of air with no problem.

Now it's just a matter of hanging this giant charcoal filter (6"x16") lol.
View attachment 570169

Received my ph kit, earth juice (catalyst, grow, bloom), apollo 9 timer for the T5 lighting and fan in the lower chamber.
View attachment 570168

Ordered earth juice micro blast, a temp+humidity Guage, Carolina reaper seeds.
Nice job thus far Mr. R. be careful with those carolina reapers. They are off the charts in scoville units. Trust me on that one.. :fire:

tobh

tobh

Supporter
While the paper towel method is for lack of better terms an ole hippy method one could surmise that the shot glass method is just as unnecessary of a step. I have used all methods and have had great success in germing using all of the methods. Think about it, why soak in a shot glass when you can go right into dirt and still have the same germ rates as paper towels or shot glass soaking. In nature the plant goes thru its life cycle dies and sheds its seeds directly onto the forest floor where it thru critters and wind, snow find its way down to the humus of the forest floor and sits until spring when the temps are such that germination can take place. So in keeping with a ala natural method straight to dirt seems the best way to go and then you remove 2 unnecessary steps 1. paper towels and 2. shot glass soaking.

One method I have seen or heard of on many forums is scarifying the seed hull with a nail file or sand paper. This is a method I would not recommend as the chance of damaging the embryo is great if not done properly.

Like you said if the seed is viable it will pop no matter the method as long as there is adequate temps and moisture. :smoking:

I've also often wondering about the scoring of the seed hull, this is a required step when cultivating hawaiin baby wood rose. I agree though, I think the risk with cannabis is simply too high for damaging the embryo, especially since they sprout quickly on their own.

My main reasoning behind the soak is viable seeds will sink, non viable will float. Even a couple hours is often times long enough to determine viable seeds, I just go a full 24 hours as I've seen a slightly more rapid sprout timeline vs. just straight to dirt. Kinda like various methods of cloning, it's the difference between waiting 3 days to see sprouts and 7-14 days till sprout. To each their own though. As the saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

On a slightly humorous note, I think the paper towel thing just has a fun nostalgic factor from yesteryear growing beans in kindergarten :) we're all children at heart and how cool is it to grow something in a damn paper towel.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
This morning I added an oscillating fan to start strengthening the youngins.

Day to day I was using a spray bottle 4-5x.
Each time ea plant may get .5-1oz of water on top.
But would be almost dry by the next watering.

I did this to help the roots grow in search of water.
The plants have shown no signs of over or underwatering.

So last night about 9 hrs before lights out .
I gave them their first full drench since the seeds went into the pots.

They seemed to have responded well for I had a small burst of growth last night. Hopefully it is due to the increased root structure. 7 days old from ground breach. 10 days old from taproot breaking open the seed.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
On a side note. I am having all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow. I have 2 that are pressing on my existing teeth causing much pain.

3 outta 4 have been grown in for years (I'm 30 btw).
I'm not looking forward to it.

Your choice of dentist/doctor is very limited based on who accepts your insurance.

I made many phone calls and appointments. Wasting my time even after I gave them my insurance name, member id & group i.d. over the phone for them to tell me they do accept it.... schedule an appointment.

then when I showed up they said they didnt.......

This happened a many times.

I had been trying to find a dentist for about 2 weeks almost now. Leaving me in excruciating pain.

I finally got into an office yesterday where they finally gave me some pain relief. The 4 days prior I hadn't eaten or slept barely at all due to how bad they were.

This could have all been taken care of sooner if treatment was more readily available for everyone.

I don't like how you must choose your doctor's at random.

Trust should be earned not given away freely.
Why should I give away free trust to someone I don't know. Then let them change parts of my body (that I've had since birth. Not my teeth lol) permanently.

Then I have to wait and see until afterwards if they do quality work?

America has no sort of dentist review system.
I can't review doctors past work, safety records etc.

I just have to blindly pick and hope I get the luck of the draw...

Our medical system here in america sucks.

Last edited:
tobh

tobh

Supporter
Damn dude.... wisdom teeth extractions suck. Pretty brutal week of life afterwards too.

You're right though, our medical system is in shambles. Dentists aren't even doctors technically and there's a lot of twisted, crooked ones out there. Good luck with your extraction! The relief should be huge.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Damn dude.... wisdom teeth extractions suck. Pretty brutal week of life afterwards too.

You're right though, our medical system is in shambles. Dentists aren't even doctors technically and there's a lot of twisted, crooked ones out there. Good luck with your extraction! The relief should be huge.

Yes the relief will be gigantic.

The time leading up to yesterday's visit when I got my first relief of pain (they gave me some vicodin.)
It was like I was carrying around 300lb backpack all week, tired of using my mind to control the pain I was experiencing. When I got my first taste of relief it was like removing that 300lb weight. The burden had been lifted and I could relax for the first time in weeks..

The relief from the extraction should be huge.
I made sure to schedule it asap.
I even tried to pull it out myself days prior.
Did research on the process and was gonna go for it. But none of my pliers could get a good grip on these teeth. I needed special dental tools.

I'm not crazy for trying.
I'm just an animal looking to get away from this burden and was ready to try anything.

I'm not looking to get high off the vicodin. Usually when I have a visit to the hospital. If they give me pain killers. I ration them out and use as little as possible. This way if I ever have trouble in the future I'll have some lying around.

Because I'll be honest I've had many doctors visits where they refuse to give me anything. Instead they just pass judgement on me.

They are supposed to be doctors.
Not psychologists or judges.
They took an oath to practice medicine to heal people.
Yet they will refuse a patient coming in for real pain. Because they think morally they are preventing "addicts" from scoring drugs.
When in reality they should be a neutral party.

Creating assumptions, generalizations, stereotyping patients. Leads to you not supplying a few addicts yes. But also at the cost of your ignorant judgements passed on people you don't know who are actually seeking help.
It is sad and I've been let down many times.

And if I can't rely on doctors to treat my emergency pains. Who can I rely on? Myself is the answer but the things we need for relief are "illegal" whether it be natural (cannabis, opium) or unnatural (vicodin, morphine etc). They deem the abuse a greater risk than the relief. Basically passing judgement on the general population claiming your not responsible enough as a human being to use it responsibly.

Not everyone out there is a drug addict!

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Indeed, we had a pretty intensive thread about this going here for a while. It's not the doctors that are passing judgement willfully, they're covering their asses because the DEA will throw them in prison if they overprescribe. It's easier to just not give out the meds than to risk their neck for someone that potentially might sell or shoot up the drugs they prescribed. My ex worked in a pain clinic and they were always having to deal with these scenarios. This is also a key reason that doctors who prescribe meds do UAs and if the UA comes back THC positive, they'll revoke any scripts and in some cases drop the patient entirely. It's just to cover their asses at the cost of having real, detrimental impact on the patients.

Basically passing judgement on the general population claiming your not responsible enough as a human being to use it responsibly.

That right there. It's the govt saying "you're not responsible enough to control your urges, so we'll throw you in jail for finding the relief from the pain you're experiencing." It's a great form of social control, and a major motivator for police to keep feeding the prison system. Unfortunately, those of us whom are responsible with most (if not all) aspects of our lives, including our drug usage, wind up caught in this dragnet and labelled accordingly. I'm using this as a key factor for my presidential vote this year as the current medical and drug scheduling systems are absolute failures and without having someone in office that will be willing to risk everything to change these systems, we won't see the change we desperately need.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Indeed, we had a pretty intensive thread about this going here for a while. It's not the doctors that are passing judgement willfully, they're covering their asses because the DEA will throw them in prison if they overprescribe. It's easier to just not give out the meds than to risk their neck for someone that potentially might sell or shoot up the drugs they prescribed. My ex worked in a pain clinic and they were always having to deal with these scenarios. This is also a key reason that doctors who prescribe meds do UAs and if the UA comes back THC positive, they'll revoke any scripts and in some cases drop the patient entirely. It's just to cover their asses at the cost of having real, detrimental impact on the patients.

That right there. It's the govt saying "you're not responsible enough to control your urges, so we'll throw you in jail for finding the relief from the pain you're experiencing." It's a great form of social control, and a major motivator for police to keep feeding the prison system. Unfortunately, those of us whom are responsible with most (if not all) aspects of our lives, including our drug usage, wind up caught in this dragnet and labelled accordingly. I'm using this as a key factor for my presidential vote this year as the current medical and drug scheduling systems are absolute failures and without having someone in office that will be willing to risk everything to change these systems, we won't see the change we desperately need.

It is nice to hear I am not the only one who thinks this way. US people need to make our voices heard more. For it Is the people who have control of our government.

The sad truth is that most people don't realize this and they just lay down and die. Or give into the false authority.

If we look at other countries that have legalized everything.
Their general drug useage has declined rapidly.

That is because they give people the freedom to experience and learn for themselves personal control. Once the taboo is lifted the desire to be a rebel seems to go away.

Also those countries offer counseling and help to treat the ones who decide they need help.

Yet again the individual needs to make the choice to stop or seek help. A forced system doesn't work.
It just leads to further rebellion from being forced to do something you do not yet believe in.

We are all sovereign beings.
Who need not be controlled.
For we should be the ones in control of our own lives.
We all have the freedom to choose to do whatever we want.
As long as we remember that our choices will have consequences albeit positive or negative.

But that's freedom.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Precisely. That's the fundamental issue. As a society, we're accustomed to shaming addicts and degrading them further instead of looking at it for what it is, another health issue. At that, it's deeply tied to mental health. Until we address the fundamental problem, stop the incarcerations and public shaming and actually build a system which will help these people, we will continue to beat this dead horse. Portugal is a prime example, legalize and regulate everything. Tax it and use those revenues for ibogaine clinics, mental health clinics, job placement, skill building opportunities, social awareness, education and risk reduction programs. The solutions are right there in front of us and the positive effects far outweigh the potential negative effects.

The assumption was teen use of cannabis would sky rocket, drug addiction and accident rates would multiply and society would crumble if we legalized. Between the 3 legal states last year, over $5.3 BILLION was generated. That is a larger number than MANY markets that are publicly traded. CO has seen DWIs decrease, yada yada yada, I'm sure you know the stats.

We've seen big benefits from it already, so what more benefits can be had by legalizing everything, regulating it and helping those that need help? Like you said, not forcing it on them but making it easily available, if they want it. At very least we would stop the deaths caused by fentanyl laced heroin as the users would be able to buy medical grade heroin at regulated dispensaries. No need to share dirty needles anymore and the risk of OD would be cut significantly since proper dosing would be easier achieved. Mind you, I'm super liberal about drugs and believe all of them should be legal. It's our discretion if we wish to destroy our bodies with these substances, not some 60 year old fuck making a career out of being a politician and telling us what we can and cannot do with ourselves.

On your self extraction attempt, you're a goddamn beast. That's some shit my brother would do, pulling his own teeth with pliers because fuck the dentist lol. Those wisdom teeth are pretty deep set though and oftentimes they break when being pulled. That's why the dentist typically will knock us slightly older guys out instead of keeping us awake. Shit hurts like hell in other words.

Top Bottom