Bag Seed Hunting & The Lst Adventure

• Thread starter rmoltis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Glad to see ya growin! Why the lst outdoors tho where light penetration is no issue? That’s the sun not a t5. Hahah

Lst is about focusing the plants energy into mostly top colas.

Less about light penetration and more about increasing the number of high quality top buds.

Also helps with overall yield and creating a well developed vascular system. Which helps increase nutrient & water uptake.

I also like how you referenced a t5 when my primary lighting used to be HPS & MH.

I had 1 grow flowering with t5s as an experiment.

Just a side note laughing at others for their growing methods is not becoming Nor does it encourage people to share their methods.

Not trying to mean, just take it into consideration how words may come across to the reader.

Last edited:
Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Lst is about focusing the plants energy into mostly top colas.

Less about light penetration and more about increasing the number of high quality top buds.

Also helps with overall yield and creating a well developed vascular system. Which helps increase nutrient & water uptake.

I also like how you referenced a t5 when my primary lighting used to be HPS & MH.

I had 1 grow flowering with t5s as an experiment.

Just a side note laughing at others for their growing methods is not becoming Nor does it encourage people to share their methods.

Not trying to mean, just take it into consideration how words may come across to the reader.
First of all I was not in any way trying to laugh at anyone using a t5. Sorry you took it that way. My point was lst imo is for situations where light penetration is an issue. When you have only a few inches of good usable light lst is a great way to maximize yields. Honestly wasn’t referring to any of your grows nor was I saying t5 is a bad way to grow. Every situation is different.

I have to disagree with you that the main reason for lst is to produce more usable “tops”. Yes bending the main branches will release auxins to force other shoots to the light. But I’d they are already receiving equal light it is not going to make it any bigger. Just force it to the top of the canopy. Which in a t5 like situation is ideal and will, yes, increase yields.

With outdoor all it is doing is making a more uniform round structure.

Discouraging people from sharing their methods? I don’t think I was being rude, sarcastic, or close minded. I was sharing information I believe to be true thru my outdoor experience, which I believe is better for a community of people trying to learn than statements that just aren’t true.

Training outdoors will only slow your plant down. Even if just slightly. If you aren’t trying to hide it from view I just see no reason.

justiceman

justiceman

Sweet ladies man. Always good to see you around. Really liking the overall shape of the medium beast. It will be cool to see how the the flower set turns out for these LST'd girls under the sun. Looking forward to it! :smoking:

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Looking good are you planning on using some wire mesh to hold them up? with the wind,rain & weight of the buds some like to topple over without it.

Haven't needed stakes any grow yet.
Why start now?

Keeping an even canopy helps keep one branch from apical dominance.

It helps create even uniform distribution of energy to all the tops. it works the same whether in a cramped space or an open one

if all the tops are growing equally. all their supporting branches will all be of similar size. which will help equalize nutrient delivery throughout the whole plant.

I'm not worried about light penetration. it all about even buds of size and quality which means taking into account all variables that affect them.

I love to grow as many even vertical branches as possible.

I don't see how the plant could be slowed down if I wasn't topping anything? it still grew in at its normal pace. just spread out more equally.

Seems to work the same every grow.

This topic gets talked about over & over again in this thread.

G gnome

G gnome

Why start now?

Keeping an even canopy helps keep one branch from apical dominance.

It helps create even uniform distribution of energy to all the tops. it works the same whether in a cramped space or an open one

if all the tops are growing equally. all their supporting branches will all be of similar size. which will help equalize nutrient delivery throughout the whole plant.

I'm not worried about light penetration. it all about even buds of size and quality which means taking into account all variables that affect them.

I love to grow as many even vertical branches as possible.

I don't see how the plant could be slowed down if I wasn't topping anything? it still grew in at its normal pace. just spread out more equally.

Seems to work the same every grow.

This topic gets talked about over & over again in this thread.
If u grew that same plant under identical conditions and didnt molest it....it wud be better off in every way

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
If u grew that same plant under identical conditions and didnt molest it....it wud be better off in every way

There is a 4th plant untouched and growing in the ground.

It is not nearly as massive as the big one. so I disagree

I constantly hear of 8 week flower times too. yet I notice 11+ is more realistic.

Everyone has their own beliefs but I let the results be my guide.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Transplanted the misc & medium beast into matching 15 gal containers as the big beast. added some more topsoil to biggie . then retied them all down.

Fox farms potting soil on all stages.

I've just been watering them and relying on the soil.

But the owner can't seem to leave them alone and he started adding fox farm grow burning all but the big beast ( cause its massive & handles it). I told him to leave the big beast alone it is mine.

I keep telling him to not to feed them at all. the soil is good enough on its own.

I maintain the same watering practices I always follow in this thread (when he is not fucking with them)

The 3 genetics are 1.) Crown royal 2.) Blueberry 3.) King kush or royal kush I forget. but I can't say out of the 4 which are which and the owner is unreliable with his information.
20180803 201105
20180803 201119
20180803 201127
20180803 201139
20180803 201150

This was the one planted in the ground as a clone with fox farms soil planted into. it had a huge garden bed of other native soil for its legs to stretch as it wants outside the fox farm soil center. it hasn't been touched at all.
20180803 201237
20180803 201244
20180803 201251

20180803 201158
justiceman

justiceman

I used FFOF diluted with perlite and EWC for my starts before I put them outside this season. That stuff sure goes a long way. One of my favorite soils that can be bought off the shelf. Just water, timed transplants and easy sailing with that stuff. Love it :smoking:

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I used FFOF diluted with perlite and EWC for my starts before I put them outside this season. That stuff sure goes a long way. One of my favorite soils that can be bought off the shelf. Just water, timed transplants and easy sailing with that stuff. Love it :smoking:

My first time using it, but I'm impressed. hopefully the ladies explode now that they have more room to stretch.

tifosi

tifosi

Why start now?

Not stakes a screen or fencing,Like I said earlier the combination of wind,rain & the weight of the buds tend to topple the plants. I don't top my plants just bend them under 2 horizontal screens to spread them out. Your environment & experience might tell you something different but growing unsupported plants i would expect to lose about 30% of them

20180804 150245
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Not stakes a screen or fencing,Like I said earlier the combination of wind,rain & the weight of the buds tend to topple the plants. I don't top my plants just bend them under 2 horizontal screens to spread them out. Your environment & experience might tell you something different but growing unsupported plants i would expect to lose about 30% of them

This is my first time growing outside. so I will keep an eye on them and adjust the methods as needed.

All different environments require small adjustments to bring them into efficiency. its just a matter of using what is needed as needed.

So if it comes to it I will.
But I'm going to stick with what I'm used to until otherwise neccesary.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
So that guy I was helping train & grow those plants ended up sending them to a "friends house"

They turned into massive bushes and had a ridiculous amount of flowers for their size.

This guy was a weird one who pretended he knew what he was doing, but instead he was quite ignorant to growing. He would not take any advice, ""he knew what was going on""

Well after about 4 weeks of flowering outdoors he realized the season was too short to finish out his plants here in washington. I told him from the very beginning washington had a very short outdoor season and unless he had an early flowering version they would not make it to the end of a full flowering.

So he took them to a friend's house to finish. well they just put them on his friend's outdoor patio. the rainy season came and he was scared of mold so he harvested them at about 5 weeks flower ...

Needless to say they were not fully mature and he didn't get much from them. nor were they very good.

I'm never helping that guy grow again. he didn't have enough foresight to have a backup plan.
As well as he just took them away so I couldn't even help him come to a compromise on how to get them through a full flowering session.

I'm done with that guy grrr....
So frustrated, I just wanted to see a mega Bush of flowers.

So sad :crying2:

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Well anyways I have another friend who had his own first plant growing this season.

It ended up showing sex as a Male. which was a big disappointment.

So I brought him an assorted selection of feminized seeds to choose from. he chose the dinafem og kush.

I helped teach him the ways of the (field of colas) technique. as well as helped guide him to buying a 6" can fan . I donated my 400w magnetic ballast, 400w mh & hps bulbs, he bought the hood, I donated the titan fan controller, ratchet hangars, clip on lights with led bulbs for supplemental, I suggested the earth juice nutrients, got him on the 15 gal pot (bigger roots more fruits).

He has listened and his plant is a true beast that I approve of.

Here it is at 28 days.
That small one on the side was the clone from when we topped her. it established its roots barely in time when we initiated flower on the beast. so it's just a bonus plant lol no training.

20181121 165318
20181121 165313
20181121 165307
20181121 165422
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Everyone has they're methods and success can be obtained from many a different angles.What I mean by that is in refrence to the paper towel method being unnecessary statement being true and false.make sense?
He was right and wrong in a way for reasons I will state.I been growing many years using many methods and alot of growers probably do the same.
I prefer the paper towel method for a couple reasons.#1 The topsoil dries faster and I am usually to busy to really be on top of keeping it moist 24/7 until they are established enough to not have to be on constant guard.
#2 I personally like to plant seedlings when they are big enough that first day planted they already are sprouted.
#3 older seeds tend to need more tlc then newer ones in my experience and the paper towel method gives me a visual plus if not popped I can physicaly pop them (very gently) myself.
#4 it works for me and I usually get at least 90% germ rate.
Of course soaking and burying works to! When I do feed crops for deer hell I literally throw seeds while smoking a dubbie,sipping bourbon, riding my 4 wheeler. (Don't Try That At home)
Don't knock my paper towel style was the point.lol.
Every bean in that pic germinated although some took longer than others..
Can post many more pics just like it I almost always get at least 95% germ rate but I'm sure many growers here do to with many different techniques.later dudes :)

Ive popped beans in a paper towel since Carter was in office and think it is the best for popping the old school, 30+ year old beans. Sometimes you DO have to help these old seeds to split, but they are typically pretty fragile until the first real leaves appear. I typically plant them directly into the 5 or 6 gallon drained bucket of Promix. Everybody has their own way of doing things, and I'm no different. I'm too old to try to change, although I did buy my first PH meter and dissolved solids meter...welcome to the 21st century!!

Foxlink

Foxlink

Well anyways I have another friend who had his own first plant growing this season.

It ended up showing sex as a Male. which was a big disappointment.

So I brought him an assorted selection of feminized seeds to choose from. he chose the dinafem og kush.

I helped teach him the ways of the (field of colas) technique. as well as helped guide him to buying a 6" can fan . I donated my 400w magnetic ballast, 400w mh & hps bulbs, he bought the hood, I donated the titan fan controller, ratchet hangars, clip on lights with led bulbs for supplemental, I suggested the earth juice nutrients, got him on the 15 gal pot (bigger roots more fruits).

He has listened and his plant is a true beast that I approve of.

Here it is at 28 days.
That small one on the side was the clone from when we topped her. it established its roots barely in time when we initiated flower on the beast. so it's just a bonus plant lol no training.

Heya Moltis! Been ages, your new girl is looking really good and healthy! =^_^=

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Heya Moltis! Been ages, your new girl is looking really good and healthy! =^_^=
She's getting me excited.

She is basically running underneath all the same variables as my old setup. only difference is a 4x2 tent vs a 2x2. so light intensity per cubic foot is halved but it is staying much more moderate in temps.

I've never popped any of my dinafem seeds, but this one looks great. super frosty for only being 1/3rd through flower.

I'd be here more often, but I'm only living vicariously through a friend right now in regards to growing.

Top Bottom