Bag Seed Hunting & The Lst Adventure

• Thread starter rmoltis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
If it were me and they were all males, Id just start over rather than grow them out. I'm not paying for the watts/nutes to rear 5 bagseed males just to collect pollen. I'd rather focus on growing (then smoking) than breeding. I'm forecasting 2 females and 3 males. Enjoying your tent op very much. Can't wait to get mine started.

I feel ya. I am waiting on first harvest to smoke again. Invested my smoking money into all this.
So I can agree it would be difficult pushing the harvest date further out.

I should probably only grow out males of some of my better seeds later on than these random's.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

Just fin reading through your Thread R.
and big Grow Green Vibes to you and all you have done to get to this spot.
Hope your mouth is feeling better and your not in to much discomfort.
Your plants look Great and your set up Looks to be Top Shelf.
looks like you have it all well in hand.
For what its worth:
get yourself a Sponosad Like Monteray (Garden and Insect spray) so you can have a Preventative Maintenance type folir spray, its not that you WILL need it.....
but
it is a great peace of mind to have a good Natural organic bug killer on standby
Just food for thought
Looking great
FlyJ

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Just fin reading through your Thread R.
and big Grow Green Vibes to you and all you have done to get to this spot.
Hope your mouth is feeling better and your not in to much discomfort.
Your plants look Great and your set up Looks to be Top Shelf.
looks like you have it all well in hand.
For what its worth:
get yourself a Sponosad Like Monteray (Garden and Insect spray) so you can have a Preventative Maintenance type folir spray, its not that you WILL need it.....
but
it is a great peace of mind to have a good Natural organic bug killer on standby
Just food for thought
Looking great
FlyJ

My mouth is getting better. I weened off the pain killers a couple days ago. Saving the rest for future emergencies (since doctors are so unwilling to prescribe them when needed). Stitches have fallen out and holes remain. They have shrunk but still have a week or 2 left. I just started eating more hearty soups that ideally still taste good run through a blender like chili, cheddar broccoli, baked potato etc.

I would love to get my hands on a nice organic bug killer for preventative measures. Seems a couple little flies popped out of the soil. I killed them and am considering putting a small top layer of fine sand like many others have suggested.

Like you are saying. Being prepared will save me from some possible future heartache.

So you suggest "a Spinosad Like Monteray (Garden and Insect spray)"? I'm assuming you have had good results using this in the past or present? I am looking at it now and it seems to have many good reviews. I'm diggin the organic-ness of it too. I will order some within the week or so.

Thanks for the kind words FlyinJ.
I appreciate your taking the time to read through and share your opinions while sending positive vibes .

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 15
20160218 151233
20160218 151501

Nothing new to report.
Just a morning update and a morning misting.
The runt has just about caught up with the rest.

Still waiting for growth tips to show on all of the plants 3rd nodes. Probably will happen when node 5 or 6 pop up like everything says.

Seems like each day I stretch how long I wait in between waterings further and further.
I'm trying to see when they break and show Me signs they need it.

So far 2 days is the most I've gone while under the m.h. No signs of underwatering yet.

I give them a couple mistings a day so I'm sure that helps.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Seems like each day I stretch how long I wait in between waterings further and further.
I'm trying to see when they break and show Me signs they need it.

So far 2 days is the most I've gone while under the m.h. No signs of underwatering yet.

Day 16

Seems I spoke too soon.
Last night before bed I was almost at the 2 day mark between waterings.

So before bed I gave ea plant about 4oz of water to hold them through the night.

Turn out it wasn't enough.
Woke up to wilted plants.
20160219 193932

20160219 193952

I drenched them immediately.
2 of them perked right up.
The other 3 are still working on it.
Heres an example
20160219 194027

It's been 11 hrs since I watered them.

I'm sure they will be ok.
Just need to shorten my waterings to 1.5 days.

I also received my earth juice mycorrhizae in the mail today.

So I dug up holes in the 4 corners of each pot.
Dropped a pinch of the mycorrhizae in ea corner.
Then backfilled.
This was done before the drench to help activate the mycorrhizae.

Once I transplant into larger containers I will mix some into the new soil.
I've heard good things about mycorrhizae.
And done some reading about it.

Can't wait to see how the plants respond.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 17 update.

20160221 011541
20160221 011601

I think these guys are ready for a main-lining.
Here is my tallest one. I have heard the males grow taller than females to increase chances of pollination. If so this is the one speeding ahead.
20160221 011716

I would like to let the top grow until I can use them for clones. That way I clone & mainline in 1 step.

Or I could do it on 2nd topping so the clones don't outgrow the lower chamber. While main chamber is flowering. I will decide in the morning.

I will have 1 plant per sq ft if I have 4 females.
My other thoughts to ponder is how many tops I can fit on each plant in that square foot 4 or 8?

Last but not least. The pots are showing roots at the drain holes. It seems time to transplant.
I was hoping to see sex before transplant. Because I have 4 three gallong pots. And 5 plants currently.
How should I choose the 4 most ideal plants without knowing sex yet?

If I inadvertently leave a female In a smaller pot.
It will get left behind on growth compared to the others and will have a tough time playing catchup down the line.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Opinions?

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 18.

That thing hanging is the acurite temp+humidity sensor.
The neon pipe cleaner is holding the fan controller temperature probe to match the canopy heights. It is on a ratchet hangar for easy adjustment.
20160221 205332
20160221 205341

Transplanted all 5 into larger intermediate pots.
This will buy me more time to find out the sex of them all before going into larger pots.

Here are some root pictures of all five before transplant. Made sure to wear some disposable gloves during the process.
20160221 193132
20160221 193656
20160221 194351
20160221 194838
20160221 195413

So far so good. Roots look healthy.
Made sure to add some fresh mycorrhizae to the new soil. I filled them up halway. Then poured a layer of mycorrhizae over them. Set the plants inside then filled up the pot. Followed by a good watering.

Main-lining coming soon.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Got my mainlining done today.
20160222 015635

Here are the tops in some water.
20160222 015552

Only thing is... I got ahead of myself and forgot to label them with their matching pairs :-(.

I have them in indirect light in the lower chamber.
The t5 fixture only has 4 lights lit up.
And the timer is set for 18/6 lighting.

Do your plants ever bleed for you?
20160222 013211

20160222 013226

On a side note these things stink like no other.
I may have to install my carbon filter in the next week or 2.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 19

20160222 172002

The new growth tips are starting to emerge on all of them. The few days before I main-lined them.
I noticed the stems were beefing up.

I got my earth juice oilycann in the mail today.
20160222 171924

I put about 10 drops in my water only bottle so they get a small amount each foliar misting, and during topsoil moistening. Also made sure to add some to the "food" bottle.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 20

20160223 164254
20160223 164309

Not much to report.
They seemed to have survived transplant & mainlining without any visual signs of stress.

Now it is just waiting for new growth tips to emerge. So I can start training them where I want them to go.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 21

20160224 220811

New growth tips are coming in fast.
Another day or 2 I'll be training them hopefully.

On a side note.
Yesterday when it was time to water.
I wanted a way that was easier on the top layer of soil while still saturating the medium quickly.

So I filled up a 5 gallon bucket. Then gently submerged them one by one into the water. until the water saturated all the way from the bottom up to the top of the soil. I didn't let it spill over the top lip of the pots though. Soil may have floated out.
It worked well and any soil that came out the bottom was well contained in the bucket.

Anyone else try this?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 22 update

That one in the back right is growing huge fan leaves for power. But it is getting in the way lol.
20160225 150653

I noticed new leaves coming in are more yellow than they have been in the past.
Here is the best example of the 5.
20160225 150549

Now I understand new growth can be light green as it fills with chlorophyll. But so far during this grow the new stuff has been mostly dark green with a little light green on it.

All 5 have varying degrees of this similar visual (stress maybe?).

The only thing I can think of is that the water I dunked them in the other day was very cold.
Could this just be a temporary symptom resulting from that?

I have a feeling in my head that it was the cause.
And I believe they will resume normal operation soon by turning green.

It also reached a record low in my tent last night 64°.
I turned my house t-Stat down by 1 degree.
Guess I better turn it back up.

I'm just curious if I'm missing something here thx.

On a side note I better start bending the new tips today.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Training of the new growth tips has begun.
Figured I better start while they are still soft and easy to bend.

Preceded by drilling holes in all the pots via dremel.
I used fuzzy pipe cleaners for bondage. Then made open end hooks on the growth tip end so as they grow they don't get restricted by the ties.
1.)
20160225 153644

2.)
20160225 154149

3.)
20160225 154553

4.)
20160225 155113

5.)
20160225 155334

#5^ had created a new branch at the base where there was none. I'm assuming this was in response to the large defoliation that took effect. I may keep it and train it to grow up the center. Or I may remove it. I'm not sure yet.
20160225 155349

Finally the group shot.
20160225 155611

Last edited:
ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Got a few more items in the mail
Ph meter, ppm meter, 2 air king clip on fans
View attachment 570388

Accurite indoor/outdoor temp+humidity guage.
The "outdoor" is the reading for inside the tent where the wireless sensor lies.
The "indoor" is the room temp (the display reads from its location).
View attachment 570403
Got 2 air king clip on fans, 1 for each chamber.
View attachment 570389

And last but not least.
My high performance air intake.
View attachment 570390
View attachment 570391

I made sure to buy it in black so it would blend in well with the tent color.

I looked for quite a bit to find this filter.
Every online site that sells a "intake air filter for your grow" are asking around $80+.

Well after a bit of searching through universal air intake catalogs of varying automotive brands. I needed a compact filter with a 6" flange inside diameter.
That way it would clamp onto the 6" flange I got for the tent.

Spectre seemed to be the winner for me cause I could get it in black, red, or blue. I got black.
And the total was $30.59 saving me approx $47.95.
And it is washable and reuseable.

For those looking to buy this filter here it is on spectre's site (cheapest).

I can't wait to see if it has a whine to it when my can fan spools up :-D

Good call on the air filter! I saw that and was like hey thats for a car thats a good idea lol. Ive got those things lying around, looks like i have my replacement intake filter.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
And i agree on getting that carbon filter in early, i just did an install in my room with those trees and the light in there and everything it was a PITA.

I was about ready anyways to install it.
But your post motivated me to get it done.
20160226 013919

I agree that with bigger bushes it would have been a pain in my ass. But since they are still young, out they came.

It sure was a task squeezing this "6x"16 400cfm filter to my 381cfm can fan. Those 2 items take up the most space inside the tent. I'm glad it sat higher than the lowest point on the can fan. That means it won't reduce vertical max height of the cooltube.

Plus having the filter completely against the ceiling of the tent means it will draw all the hot air from the top (where it rises to). Leading to a most effective heat exhausting. Keeping temps better stabilized/controlled.

Hanging it was easy. But installing the short ducting at a tight 90° bend with hose clamps on each flange. While the fan flange and carbon filter flange were almost touching. Was a pain.
20160226 012429

Look at my fan speed controller tucked in there^ lol.
20160226 013835

Then rearranging all the ratchet hangars to new positions while retaining the original positions of all the attached equipment uugghh!

I'm glad it's all over.
And my house is gonna smell a lot fresher having all the air run through that filter so that's a bonus.

My cat shit in the litter box completely on the other side of our apt down the hallway. She didn't cover it up completely and it stank up our house.
But with the filter installed it cleaned up the smell very quickly.

But I cant be upset with a cat like her. She is great.
20160226 015029

So that's great.
I'm glad it's done now and not later like you said.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 23

20160226 151852

Looks like this is where the fun starts :/.
Seems I got something going on.
Maybe you guys could help me diagnose.
I'm having a hard time figuring it out off the site alone.

Here are many photos for you to analyze.
I may also open a seperate thread since most of my questions in this thread go unanswered lol.
20160226 151410

20160226 151638

20160226 151658

20160226 151715

20160226 151720

20160226 151728

It started a couple days ago after a cold water soak (see earlier posts)

Yesterday I nutritized (made that word up) the water that I dunk in. Ph'ed to between 6.0-6.5 with the ph color drops. Then made sure it was room temperature. The nutrient mixture I used was on the minimum side of the earth juice lineup.

Since this was my first real feeding. Meaning not by mister bottle. I used the catalyst, microburst, grow, oillycann, some Neptune's harvest fish and seaweed.

Made sure everything was on the lowest nutrient listing on the bottle. Some even less.
I figured they started showing signs after my last cold water only dunking. I thought it may be a sign to get started on nutrients. But maybe the cold water simply locked out nutrients for a day or so and will return to normal.

I still need to dial in the nutes and figure out the perfect recipe. But for now what is all this?

The closest photos I've seen are from iron deficiency.
But my microblast has that and is part of the regimen.

400w mh is about a foot away
In tent temp is between 78-80
Rh is %15-%25 trying my best to raise it (damn this dry winter air).
I have been watering mostly every 2 days with light mister bottle feedings every few days or foliar even.

Growth is still speeding up from day to day.
I want to stay ahead of this.
Any help is appreciated.

On a side note I ordered some earth juice meta-k today.
The catalyst and grow both contain k20 tho so maybe not necessary.

I'd rather have it and not need it
Rather than need it and not have it..

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
A little more pertinent information.

I had taken a half gallon bottle of the remaining bucket water from the feeding yesterday.
After all plants had been soaked and drained into it. I tested the ph and it was at 4 :speechless:.
:banghead::dead::hungover::shifty::facepalm:.
The water was perfectly ph'ed before this all.
As well as I filled nutrient bottles before dunking occured. Tested them also to verify and they were at 6-6.5 still.

Which means the ph of my soil is very acidic.
I'm not sure how this happened considering I ph my water and nutes. As well as they have been growing beautifully since day 1. Such a fast change.

So I am going to give them a flush tomorrow with properly ph'ed water after they have another 24hrs or so to dry out.
I don't want them stressing anymore today.

I have been foliar feeding them my properly ph'ed nutrient feed to help the new tips hopefully recover from the nutrient lockout/cold shock/low ph.

If anyone else has suggestions please let me know.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I went ahead and did a soil flush on all 5 plants.
I probably should have waited until tomorrow.
But I'm glad I did it today.

The runoff of each pot upon initial watering (just enough to run out bottom) was 4-5ph yikes!!

And here I thought that keeping my nutrient feed & water ph'ed was enough. I didn't think flushing was part of an organic style grow.

My tap water sits at 7. So I just ran a few gallons through each pot until they tested about 6.5.
Followed by a misting of nutrients on the topsoil since I had just defeated my last feeding.

I will have to just wait and see what happens.

So since it took 23 days to show a ph drop that's quite extreme. Should I flush my soil out every week to stay ahead of it? Or should I make it 2 weeks?

Last edited:
Top Bottom