Behold The Worlds Greatest Cannabis Storage.

• Thread starter oscar169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bakershredhead

You guys think the packs would work in the dog kibble containers? There airtight. I like the mega's but I'd need around 20 or so for each harvest. The kibble containers hold up to 4 -5lbs.

gumby420

gumby420

You guys think the packs would work in the dog kibble containers? There airtight. I like the mega's but I'd need around 20 or so for each harvest. The kibble containers hold up to 4 -5lbs.
they work great, after drying i put about a lb or slightly more into a 5 gal home depot bucket, throw in a 62% pack and always comes out great, easiest curing method ive ever done, sure beats dealing with a billion glass jars.

Icristal

Icristal

Ordered the cvault 5 pack set up at amazon pricey, but I figured if I am investing in growing, then why not good storage as well. Beside I need my canning jars for my veggies and pickles in the fall. lol

Icristal

Icristal

Ordered the cvault 5 pack set up at amazon pricey, but I figured if I am investing in growing, then why not good storage as well. Beside I need my canning jars for my veggies and pickles in the fall. lol

Just started using my cvaults, flowers in for first 24 hrs and a perfect 62% and holding. I think I am going to like theses. :)

Icristal

Icristal

you can also just use the packets in Mason jars and you will get the same affect...I put them on the top of the buds...

Yes, I could, but these have another advantage, they don't let light in. And glass is okay, was using it before I got these. It is something to try and I am comfortable with the cost for the few I purchased. (I spent more on growing equipment.) So for the storage this was okay. I still have the jars handy, so not ruling out using them again. Unless I don't need them when canning time roll around, lol. Thanks for the response, peace :)

johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

yeah, I ran out of room in mine and had to use the glass jars and kept them in the dark with the packets in them...

Icristal

Icristal

yeah, I ran out of room in mine and had to use the glass jars and kept them in the dark with the packets in them...

Just be careful when getting the packs, inspect them carefully, even a tiny tiny pin hole leaks this jelly stuff, wouldn't want this in my med's. Had a new packet arrive this way.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Just be careful when getting the packs, inspect them carefully, even a tiny tiny pin hole leaks this jelly stuff, wouldn't want this in my med's. Had a new packet arrive this way.
WOW that sucks man:wideyed: We have used 90+ packs and NEVER seen or had anything like that happen, but again Anything is Possible....:)

O

Organicanna

Hate to resurrect an old thread .... And this may have already been mentioned yet missed when I speed read through this thread - so my apologies if this is the case.

Any boveda pack can be "recharged" and therefore used almost indefinitely, although boveda doesn't say so for obvious reasons. The process is fairly quick and super easy if you respect a few limitations.

1) ONLY recharge using (preferably steam) distilled water or with RO water etc. being the second best choice.

Any other water source likely contains minerals as well as other potential impurities or elements that could hinder absorbtion through the boveda membrane. Boveda does not to my knowledge release the specifications of the membrane they use, so its even possible that small mold spores in questionable water sources could pass through and contaminate the boveda pack.... And your stored materials. The highest quality of the purest, unadulterated h2o source one can easily procure is paramount to successfully recharging without any concern or worry.

2) NEVER soak or let the boveda pack touch or come in direct contact with water.

Doing so will deteriorate the outer paper like packaging that not only protects the inner 2 way membrane, but also acts as a type of pre-filter during the constant and continuous 2 way exchange of moisture.

3) Keep any "abuse" of the boveda packs to an absolute minimum if you wish to reuse them over and over year after year.

If your a frugal (cheap old bastard) person like myself, then you like to keep expenses to a minimum yet still maintain the highest level of quality rewards for your efforts. Folding, bending, creasing or any other form of manhandling or mutilation/molestation of your packs is the quickest way to have them end up in your trash can. Now, this doesn't mean you have to always handle them like a delicate flower. However, they are not bulletproof and can be damaged or punctured with carelessness and abusive treatment. When in doubt - The condition of the outermost paper packaging is usually indicative of the inner membrane integrity.

My own methodology for recharging my boveda packs is a super easy process.

I take a canning jar of proper size in relation to pack size and clean thoroughly with water/soap then rinse/dry with an ISO alcohol wash to minimize any possible bacterial/fungal spore contamination that any environmental conditions usually have present.

I then take a plastic jar lid that will fit very snuggly within the canning jar and cut a hole in it roughly 2/3 the size of the lid but not too big a hole as you want to have a nice "ledge" area of which to support the boveda pack. Wash/rinse with both water/soap and iso as done with the jar. I'll then wedge this plastic jar lid within the canning jar about half way down creating a nice platform with a large hole in the middle - This leaves plenty of room in the jar below the now suspended plastic lid/platform for water and plenty of room above it for the boveda pack itself. I've found that using those white plastic screw on lids sold for canning jar use superior to other methods I've tried. They are fairly thick yet easily drilled using the appropriate size hole saw and are the perfect diameter to wedge down into some jar sizes (but not all size jars) securely. This method also minimizes the chances of the water being able to splash up and hit the boveda pack if the jar should get bumped into etc.

That's all folks .... Easy peasy

FWIW ... Being a "frugal" personality - I just can't see the wisdom of dedicating valuable resources on those cvaults. Jars have their place, and are super cheap as well as easily obtained. The other thing canning type jars can easily do that the cvault currently is unable is be vacuum sealed. Investing less than $25 in a cheap hand/portable vacuum sealer with the appropriate size wide mouth lid vacuum sealer attachment allows me to vacuum seal a jar with a boveda pack inside. This makes for the very best long term storage solution I have personally tried.

Down side to jars have been well mentioned like potential for breakage, light penetration and size limitation etc. However, if one respects these limitations then they are easily overcome. When I absolutely require a larger vessel than can be had using jars, then I move towards food grade plastic buckets with a gasket sealed lid commonly used by preppers/survivalist types for long term dry food storage. I will also incorporate oxygen absorbing packs should it be a long term storage situation. I can buy at least 5 of these buckets for the cost of one of the largest cvaults ....... Its just not as shiny or cool ;)

OC

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I Like Glass Jars With glass lids and rubber gaskets, they are airtight, I can see the contents without opening up the container and letting air in or out.

O

Organicanna

I prefer glass also for many of the reasons you mentioned. The glass hinge lid/gasket type are nice for frequently used storage but...... For long term storage they do not easily allow for a vacuum or oxygen free environment unless one resorts to those oxygen adsorbing packs or similar.

Recently, someone turned me on to a bunch of large 1/2 gallon sized glass jars with glass lids that are gasketed. I really like these as the opening is quite large easily allowing one to put their hand in and access the entire jar contents effortlessly. I believe they picked them up for a few bucks each at wally world or similar.

One thing I do like about regular canning jars for curing is that one can purchase plastic lids with rubber gaskets to replace the metal lid, yet still use the original outer "screw on" metal "band" to seal it up.

I like the plastic lid as I can drill an accurate size hole in it to accept those round hygrometers sold for humidors. I mount these directly into the drilled plastic canning jar lid with an appropriate sized gasket to seal it air tight. They have small snap in tabs to mount in humidor lids to lock them in place. Using these I can quickly see the humidity level in that particular jar just by looking down at the lid.

I purchased quite a few of these round humidor hygrometers (made for mounting in humidor lids) on eBay directly from China just for a few bucks each shipped - The digital versions are a dollar or two more. Only problem with these are what I suspected - Accuracy issues and lack of calibration. I check them using a boveda pack within a sealed mason jar for at least 24hrs. So far about 75% are pretty spot on with 20% being less than 5% off with the remaining 5% of the lot I purchased being 10% off or more.

I'm pretty sure caliber now makes a much better quality round type digital hygrometer that is also made for inserting directly into a humidor lid like the ones I have. These caliber brand ones (caliber IV?) are likely of much higher accuracy but more importantly they can be calibrated. However, they are around $30-$40 each. For that price I can buy 10 of the cheap ones and throw away the faulty ones ...or just manually adjust the readings by simple math once I check their accuracy and record the offset before I actually use them in a jar.

OC

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

I've been using these in airtight glass food storage containers with the rubber seal lid, freaking awesome. In one container I'll have 6 different strains in baggies, I always leave the Baggie open so that they can all I'll be cured to the same level.

I am paranoid about knocking the Trichome heads during any handling I do, so I use the 62, hoping that they won't fall off as easily. I need to try the 50s next :)

I have one of the silver containers, they're okay but they don't seem airtight and by the time you unbuckle the latches I feel like I've knocked off half the trichomes that I'm desperately trying to keep attached the bud :) it works really really good for overly Drive-bys that you just want to do flexible and fresh again and not crumbly

I usually stuff a whole bunch inside each container because at the end of the day you cannot overdo it with this product. Plug n play yaaaaa

palmate

palmate

I would have thought such a high % of moisture would only deteriorate the buds. Like dry rot fungus survives in even really low humidity so wouldn't microbes still thrive at 62 - or even 54%?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What does dry rot fungus eat, though? I thought it was a condition to woods, not leafy green plants.

What's really caught my attention is the discussion regarding possible dissipation or loss of terpenes. Those are what breeders have been breeding some of the best genetics for, are those flavorful terpenes!

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I would have thought such a high % of moisture would only deteriorate the buds. Like dry rot fungus survives in even really low humidity so wouldn't microbes still thrive at 62 - or even 54%?
We have been using theses for years this have never happened nor have I ever heard of this in a C-Vault. DON'T over think it maybe pick up a C-Vault or a 62%bovida pack and try it out.

Top Bottom