Best Brand Coco Coir

• Thread starter Quitters
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
A little update on the roots organics coco palms. I thought it had a decent feel to it but then I noticed it wasn't drying out as fast as I remember coco drying out. I chalked it up to "ah it's been a few years you don't know exactly how fast coco dries right now." The other day I noticed it came with springtails after doing a slurry test(1:1 R/O +Coco) right out if the bag to test its EC(.6-.7 aka 300-350ppm) Hahaha. They aren't much of a problem but I would have liked the coco to be pest free.
View attachment 651993

So today I decided to take out my block of botanicare coco and hydrate a 1/4 of it to conpare the two in color and fiber to pith ratio. The results were astonishing. Never going to buy Roots Organics Coco Palms again.

Roots Organics Coco Palms on the left. Botanicare Cocogrow 5kg bale on the right.
View attachment 651994
I much perfer the higher fiber ratio and coarser pith of the botanicare covi. It also has a spongier feel. I wonder why the roots coco is so much finer and darker. I'm thinking it's had more time to decompose. It smells earthy as well.

Moral of the story here for me is:
Buy compressed coco. Guaranteed to be free of pests and the decomposition process has been halted.

You got to love that you got some freebies and didn't even have to pay for them, Now that is the Hydro Store hook up...:cool:

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/cooking-rapid-rooters-for-dinner.59136/

Last edited:
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I went away from promix and now use Canna coco. figured i better get in here. I was told the Canna Coco was like triple washed and buffered I got my next round of plants in it now. everything looks good to me.
I can tell you we have done side by sides many times and if anything the Canna Coco is a little finer ground and seems to stay wetter longer between watering. It just doesn't seem the same Canna Coco that was out 10 years ago and for sure not even 5 years ago, Not sure what is going on with Canna. I'm thinking that demand is to high and they just push it threw now or something !!
There is one difference when buying a pallet of it , $$$$$ way more then any of the others I have ran and the bags are smaller also.

justiceman

justiceman

You got to love that you got some freebies and didn't even have to pay for them, Now that is the Hydro Store hook up...:cool:

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/cooking-rapid-rooters-for-dinner.59136/

hahahahaha I didn't think about that they probably did come from the hydro store. I'm just gonna go with bales from now on as even if they sit at the hydro store nothing will infest a compressed dry brick but i really didn't like how fine the roots coco is either.

Damn that thread is some good information. I'll have to keep that in mind if i get any rapid rooter style plugs.

justiceman

justiceman

I just did a runoff test to compare the Roots Organics Coco Palms and a Botanicare 5kg Cocogro bale using 2 shot glass solo cups and R/O water. Here are the PPM readings I got:

(A note I forgot to mention is apparently the roots is buffered with uncalcined limestone)

Roots Organics Coco Palms
IMG 6817

I don't know if the uncalcined lime had a role to play in the above number but I don't like it especially since I'm using hydro nutrients.

Botanicare 5kg Cocogro bale
IMG 6818

I like that number :)

guymandude

guymandude

I still run canna and have zero problems with it. When things are warm and it dries out too quickly, i run my plants in plastic pots. When things are cool and things stay wet a bit too long, I run smart pots. Has more to do with the weather and seasons than the coco itself

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I still run canna and have zero problems with it. When things are warm and it dries out too quickly, i run my plants in plastic pots. When things are cool and things stay wet a bit too long, I run smart pots. Has more to do with the weather and seasons than the coco itself
The Cana was run every time in same room same 10 gallon smart pots stayed wetter, same environment, and the other coco are.more course and the canna was finer ground.

SteadyDoesIt

SteadyDoesIt

I see alot of people saying royal gold has a high ec run off. Would this potentially be caused by the fact it has azomite? Ec readers only test for how much is in run off and don't really tell you if this is salt or just possibly beneficial minerals. I have seen some amazing grows with tupur especially when using some kind of automated drip system. Currently I'm planning a tupur drip room and was curious if anyone has knowledge if the higher run off is salt or could just be caused by the azomite?

I'm in tupur and I must say you really can feed Multiple times in a day

P

Pimples

I see alot of people saying royal gold has a high ec run off. Would this potentially be caused by the fact it has azomite? Ec readers only test for how much is in run off and don't really tell you if this is salt or just possibly beneficial minerals. I have seen some amazing grows with tupur especially when using some kind of automated drip system. Currently I'm planning a tupur drip room and was curious if anyone has knowledge if the higher run off is salt or could just be caused by the azomite?
Does Azomite even give off electrical conductivity? Is it a salt?

guymandude

guymandude

wow, that really surprises me about the GrowIt coco. I picked some up when my store stopped carrying Canna coco. My plants had all kinds of problems in Growit. After i reconstituted the brick and put plants into the coco, the tops of the plants yellowed, roots would not grow and the plants became stunted. I flushed the coco and the runoff was over 900 ppm. glad it works for you

Top Bottom