Best Medium For Cloning?

• Thread starter Zakattack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zakattack

Zakattack

Hey growers.im gona be taking clones for the first time. I've currently getting all the gel an scalpels etc. To girth. Just wanted to find Out what's the best medium for the them to shoot their roots out into.

Cheers

xavier7995

xavier7995

Been using the jiffy pellets lately, I like that I can pack them into the little jiffy greenhouse/seed starting tray, like 30 clones per sq. Foot. Downside is you have to take really small clones.

Normally a solo cup of straight coco with an opaque cup on top to hold moisture in. I use an antifungal with both methods to prevent rot/mold/mildew and such since they are going to be really moist with little airflow for a while.

Zakattack

Zakattack

Sweet. Just got all my goodies for cloning today. I read that it's better to take clones after they've been watered for a day or 2 so they have quite a bit of moisture in them. Have you got any other knowledge to pass on to a first time cloner? .

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I've found best luck taking a cutting directly into potting soil. Water soil put a humidity bag over.

You will see leaves growing within a week.

No gels, hormones or anything for roots just water and soil.

Bearfamfarm

Bearfamfarm

I have also found that if you take a fresh cutting and put it in water for 30 to an hour before I put mine in the dome I never get that droopy wilty look they normally get when you first put them in there's. They usually root about 24-48 hours faster than the ones I don't dunk as well.

Zakattack

Zakattack

Shot guys. So far the 2options I've got are the rock wool and cloning gel / or a coco/perlite(50/50) mix . So I'm thinking to do half with the one an half with the other. See what works best.

Is there a time that's better then the other to take the cuts from the plant? Like as the lights come on or more towards when they're gona go off?

xavier7995

xavier7995

Never noticed a difference related to lights on/off. Might be a good idea to take your cuts a day after a good heavy watering, the supple green growth is what kicks out the roots so make it as supple and green as possible if you will. That is just wild speculation though:)

I guess another important thing would be to not leave the cuttings exposed to air for long after you take them. Cut, straight into cloning solution, straight to the prepared medium. I have take a big pile of cuts and just left them out, then all got cloning solution, then all into the medium. I was less successful doing that, only thing I can attribute it to was leaving the cut ends exposed to air for longer than normal. Now I try and minimize that and get the cut tip into its final home as quickly as possible.

Zakattack

Zakattack

Never noticed a difference related to lights on/off. Might be a good idea to take your cuts a day after a good heavy watering, the supple green growth is what kicks out the roots so make it as supple and green as possible if you will. That is just wild speculation though:)

I guess another important thing would be to not leave the cuttings exposed to air for long after you take them. Cut, straight into cloning solution, straight to the prepared medium. I have take a big pile of cuts and just left them out, then all got cloning solution, then all into the medium. I was less successful doing that, only thing I can attribute it to was leaving the cut ends exposed to air for longer than normal. Now I try and minimize that and get the cut tip into its final home as quickly as possible.
Thanks @xavier7995. I'm gona Give it a go tomorrow :) I don't have a humidity done so I'm just gona be keeping the rock wool an coco/perlite nice and moist. But will defos be using your advice on not exposing the snipped ends to Sir for too long. Cheers mate

Zakattack

Zakattack

I have had close to 100% success with all forms of cloning. Best way for a beginner, I think, is a cloning machine. No daily misting, no humidity dome. The bucket does all the work.
Thanks @DannabisFarm . I haven't got a cloning box so just gona go with keeping it quite moist. Will look into getting a cloning done on my next grow :) cheers

V

vagiboy1987

Personally ive tried just about every one of these methods on not only cannabis but a variety of other plants both softwood and hardwood. They all work. For me I needed to develop a system that worked for a wider variety of plants and give the highest possible success rate. So here's my method you can try out as a test. First I'd like to state that I use a Mylar grow tent with continuous setup. On my small side I have just your typical Walmart one light T5 grow light and on the rack below it I have a 4 ft LED light for a shop I bought at Lowes. On the big side I have 2 1200 Watt Full spectrum LEDs and a hurricane fan pulling air out ( I leave screens open to pull fresh air in) and a stand rotating fan to move air around. For full size plants I use air pots with the plastic grid on the bottom set at the very bottom instead of up a little. OK now to the clones. When I take a cutting of anything I put it in a small jar or cup of rooting hormone (I use poweder, tried clonex didn't care for it) and water and I let it sit for a day for softwoods and two days for hardwoods to let the plant soak it up. I then transplant those cutting by dipping them in the hormone again and placing them into small containers or Dixie cups filled with sphagnum peat moss,perlite, and water well. I place those planted cuttings under my grow light for at least two weeks spraying with a spray bottle one to two times a day, no covers. I water when needed keeping the soil a bit moist, at first I usually use the hormone water they started in just to use it up. After two weeks I put them down a shelf under the LED shop light and let them go, still misting and watering but after about 3 weeks I stop misting them. When I think they are good to transplant into bigger pots I put them in the air pots, mine are 5 gallon equivalent. Then move them under the big LED lights. Ive tried many different methods and this one works best for me. At first with cloning expect to lose some, it happens. But I took my success rate from about an 80% to about a 95% before I used my method and now I lose a plant about once every year or two and I clone around 150-200 plants a year. My cannabis success rate is 100% I haven't lost one in probably 5 years or more. Hope that helps if anyone tries it let me know how it works.

Latest posts

Top Bottom