Best predator for gnats?

• Thread starter forknowledge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
forknowledge

forknowledge

Ive asked this question on other forums in different ways but I keep getting answers directed to pesticides, I know they start from within the soil so Im using "Gnat off" & the stick traps arnt helping much because most of the gnats end up sticking the buds. So I thought Id introduce a few insects in the grow cab the question is what? Im after something thats safe to humans incase they escape as the cab is in my bedroom plus they should be safe to plants... any suggestions?

D

d420

Premium Member
Supporter
ladybugs possibly... not to sure.. I use gnatrol with minimal success.. I have also used diatomacious earth and that was a mess and did not help much..

H

humboldtlocal

Predator Nematodes. They come on a sponge that you add to water and then just water them in. Yellow sticky traps at ground level will catch the mature ones. I use predator nematodes as a preventative measure now after dealing with them last year.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Predaotrs are not easy to angle from what friends have reported, ladybug are good agains spidermites, else for gnats i will try this:

View attachment 75133

All the bottom side branches will be cuted so i will hang a few there i see

forknowledge

forknowledge

If ladybugs cando the job then Ill give them a try. I dont want anything too small that I cant find incase they escape when I take them out of the cab for watering.

H

humboldtlocal

Do not go with ladybugs go with the predator nematodes.

S

Sirius

gnatrol is very effective and you just add it to your medium where the larvae live.

forknowledge

forknowledge

Do not go with ladybugs go with the predator nematodes.

I searched up nematodes & found this:

nematodes.jpg

Just to be clear I dont want anything going in the soil as Im using "Gnat off" (soil drench) & the larvae are beggining to die off I just want something to patrol the buds/foliage thatll eat the stuck on gnats.

H

HowardHunt

lol I think those are the nematodes that actually sometimes infect humans. Those are the ones you would see in your poops if you were such an unlucky bastard.

you cant see the nematodes on the sponge, it's just a little thing you soak through and give them a good watering.

They hate light from what I hear so be sure to hit them prior to lights going off so the nematodes can sit in joy feasting on all that larve.

sticky strip the shit out of the place to get any adults.

wait it out, some nematodes applications can take awhile to eat everything up.

I love them and now I usually hit everything with a nematode watering when they go from 4" pots to 1/2 gallon then again when from 1/2 gal to 3 gal.

done dealing with those in the flower room, now just taking care of the veg.

forknowledge

forknowledge

This is what I meant when I said "I keep getting redirected".
So what is a good predator for the adult FLYING gnats...? Preying mantis, ladybugs?

M

mcpuffin

The predatory nematode you want to get is the hypoaspis mite. They work great for fungas gnats! Apposed to other predatory bugs they don't need a specified humidity range, just moist soil/medium.

A

Aerio

Okay here is a real reasonable answer you can find in your yard. A bee. Believe it or not but hornets love eating flies. Up in Canada there were these bald faced hornets who would eat the flies and while we were eating dinner at the camp we would just see wings falling. So get a jar grab a bee :]. Don't be a pansy they dont sting to hard. Unless your allergic than I'm sorry.

forknowledge

forknowledge

mcpuffin Thank mate but those little critters will certainly escape when I remove the plants from the cab for waterings.

Aerio LOL Unfortunately I am allergic.

4EVERGREEN

i use a real light dose of dutchmaster zone every feeding and i havent seen knats sence i started it, its not a pestiside its like soap but it works great

Latest posts

Top Bottom