Votes: 4 14.3%
  • OSA 28

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • PowerSi

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
R

ReversEnigma

Some silica products are made better than others. This what may be what the OP is asking.

@brazel
No need to get all in an uproar. It' only silica.
Exactly my point. Just wanted to start a conversation on the topic with the understanding that there are different kinds of Silica.

Is ortho-silicic acid worth the additional expense in hydroponics?
a blog post by Daniel Fernandez creator of Hydrobuddy.

Nice article, appreciate the info. Definitely reinforces the fact silica is helpful.

R

ReversEnigma

@Freshone @Rootbound @Quantrill
My initial understanding was ch-OSA type silicas are a more bioavailable silica that is more readily available and easier for the plant to use immediately. Knowing what the plant is getting immediately in hydroponics is essential, and typically in a hydro application the fertilizers are set to be used immediately that's why new nutrient reservoirs are made and changed out regularly. I do see the benefit of using both types of silica and making it immediately available for use as well as in the long-term.

I used potassium silicate in a 1% (AN 2ml/L) and 3% (Cyco 1ml/L) concentration and switched to Vitalize because it is a more bioavailable ch-OSA type silica (They all seem to have an approximate 1% strength with a 1ml/6L rate or 3ml/5gal). I used both types of silica together with the thought that I would get both the long-term and immediate effects. At the time I decreased the potassium silicate to half strength (I didn't want to overdo it) and saw no difference in using the potassium silicate combined with a ch-OSA silicate versus just the ch-OSA alone so I discontinued using the potassium silicate (I notice improved results using the ch-OSA from previous rounds this is why I continued using the more bioavailable silica alone).

Reading more on AgSil and the dosage recommendation of approximately .5ml/L at a roughly 8% concentration I'm guessing that a higher concentration is needed to really see the positive effects when using a potassium silica base mixture, probably why many of these other potassium silicas that come premixed are being outperformed by the more readily available ch-OSA silica.

Since an increase in ch-OSA silica during the stretch phase reduces the stretch and tightens node spacing I'm also wary of overdoing it. However, I will be trying to incorporate AgSil into my feed regiment on some level to see how it does alongside and standalone versus a ch-OSA.

I appreciate the input and want to pick some people brains and hear thoughts and approaches on using multiple types of silica as I feel when done right will have great results.

FYI I am a coco DTW grower who flushes with 1/4 to 1/3 strength nutrients usually every 8-10 days. I don't always flush if the base nutrient mix stays the same ratio but always remember when the base nutrient mix changes ratios.

Also for newer growers, this is something that's somewhat advanced and I'm just tinkering with feeding as my rooms are pretty dialed in and I run a few different strains that I all have decently dialed in as far as feeding schedules go. So this wouldn't be recommended for the newer grower who doesn't have all the other environmental factors and individual strain knowledge for his/her setup nailed down. But for someone who has been doing the same thing for years and is looking to experiment and really pushes their plants to their full potential, it could help.

I'll be glad to share my results when I get more info but in the meantime any input or insightful discussion is more than welcome and much appreciated on the topic.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
+1 for agsil16,Ive run it right next to osa with no visible difference besides not paying 4600 for 5 gallons.
Had the same results for me after @Quantrill posted a bunch of info in another thread about silica a cant find. OSA had really nothing to say about the test results quantrill posted.

R

ReversEnigma

Had the same results for me after @Quantrill posted a bunch of info in another thread about silica a cant find. OSA had really nothing to say about the test results quantrill posted.
Did you follow their instructions for the 7.8% mix at .25-.5 teaspoon/gal?

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
show me the scientific study that proves the choline chloride or peg400 stabilized silicic acid products are more effective than regular potassium silicate dilutions at providing plant available silicon.

I've not seen one yet. Lots of marketing mumbo jumbo, no proof.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...f-rhode-island-is-5-gallons-worth-4700.75889/
Would like to thank you for doing the legwork on having lab tests run on all the different brands you had tested, and all the great info you add on how the testing was done.It was a real eye opener to me.

R

ReversEnigma

show me the scientific study that proves the choline chloride or peg400 stabilized silicic acid products are more effective than regular potassium silicate dilutions at providing plant available silicon.

I've not seen one yet. Lots of marketing mumbo jumbo, no proof.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...f-rhode-island-is-5-gallons-worth-4700.75889/
The more research I do seems to just solidify that some form of silica is needed and the delivery method is less important. Different silica products just need to have different concentrations for the same desired effect.

Most of the typical large name brand pre-mixed potassium silicate products are not at the strength necessary it seems. AgSil is just at a much higher concentration and the more "bioavailable" silica can be used at a lower concentration but the same end result just one is more expensive.

R

ReversEnigma

Here is a study that came to the conclusion that a peg400 stabilized silicic acid formulation Silamol was " just as efficient when used as a soil amendment at an equal dose of 1.7 mM Si" as potassium silicate Kasil 6 (AgSil21).

So i still say show me the research that proves the stabilized silicic acid products are better than potassium silicate at providing plant available silicon.
The link was not working.

The soil studies are good info just might have different results when looking at hydro. They are definitely different beasts with their own sets of challenges. Even different hydro setups are very different from one another why I really am looking forward to experimenting AgSil with coco.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
OMG I have been away for months and come back for 5 mins and I see a New Thread on Silica and someone talking bunch shit about what brand is better, COME ON PEOPLE we already did the test years ago!!!

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...tilizer-sources-aafpco-approved-method.76318/

AGSIL 16H 560 Grams to one gallon RO is the best and you can make it yourself for penny's !

@Quantrill Bro don't waste your time on theses Closet growers anymore !!!:smoking:

U

ugmjfarmer

FWIW, SG Crop Solutions produces a 18-22% mono-silicic acid for around $22.50 / L. Same dose rates as vitalize.

T

twerkle

@Quantrill I got the rice hulls silica after reading your post. How do I figure out the dosage rates based on the % of avail Si on the chart. Thanks again for the work you put in!

Top Bottom