Best temperature for Purple Buds

• Thread starter HOOFAH
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HOOFAH

I know that buds that have purple phenos must already be geneticaly capable of doing so( ex. Purple Star, Pakistan Chitral Kush), but what would be the best temperature to bring out the purple colors that some buds produce? What is the safest/lowest temp that a plant can handle without dramatically stunting growth or killing it?

K

kakachuka

the heat will do it too. mid 80's and the only reason I use this is to save on the meter.

Whippleschnitz

Whippleschnitz

I have two different strains that will purple up. Both only present purple as they mature and nighttime temps dip down onto the 60's F. My "daytime" temps are 78F so I try to keep the "nighttime" temp at 65F and it seems to help the colors develop nicely.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yeah, me, either. What I can tell you is that some strains purple irrespective of temperature. Some strains turn purple (or their pistils do) only where the sun hits them.

And I woke up to temps of 48F this morning!

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
I was just searching for that answer last nite Yeah!!!!! Getting ready to run a room of THE PURPS.I have heard of lowering temp also will try this method.

dorjewright

dorjewright

I've got 2 purple kush and 2 granddaddys. 1 pk is almost completely purple and finished the other looks weeks from finishing and isn't showing any color at all (maybe Harborside mixed up their clones?). 1 gdp is half purple and about ready to harvest selectively; the other a quarter purple and about a week to harvest. All are outside and the temps are in the 50s at night. I've added light to offset the foggy days; fans and eyeball each bud 2x a day looking for botrytis. They are also in a hoop greenhouse. The rain Sunday and the heat yesterday has set off another round of botrytis.
Trying to harvest only the buds with color. Seems like ripest have the most color.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Just received notice from BCBUD I am running there strain THE PURPS asked about temp for most purple and was told no temperature adjustment needed it's in the genetics . Can't wait I :pimp:Love the color Purple!!!!

P

Pockets

i personally catergorize purple bud in two catergories. one is "true purple genetics" and the other is plain "regular purple genetics". the difference is that the "true" will purp up by week 2 and will always be purple no matter how early u must pull, as the "regular" will purp up at around 45 days(towards the end) and does not truly dance until the end.

btw, medusa the bcbd will purp up nice and fast at around day 48-50, good yeilder and frosty. soon imma pop some f2's from a friend, gotta wait until i harvest my od's as i need to use my tent to dry.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Thanks to all for the info may we all enjoy a puff of the purple dragon :mad0233:

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Ya seeds have sexed they are beautiful plants even been saving a male. I see your in Portland if u want clones. I always do seeds can't be sure really if they are true. and I only buy from who wins the awards on them or who says the grower is if that is always true. Am also running Kali mist from serious seeds and lambo I believe from TH seeds. Trying to crack Mekong Haze but she's stubborn.

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Im also running the kali mist. Last run it didnt purple at all. This run, due to colder temps, it purped up here and there. Smells kinda weird. Kinda fruity, and kinda weird. Not bad tho.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
I don't believe kali mist turns purple but the Purp is purple

F

FromGROtoFLO

Get your temp swing down to color up. You can practically get anything to color but its the risk you run stressing the hell out of them. A Day/night swign like 75F/45 the last week will make your bud do wild things.

P

paperplane

Not only colder night temps, but a good flush will bring out more purp in the purple stains.

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

I flushed the same, but my basement room got colder at night then usual due to the change in the weather. Did stress em out a lil too. 1 of my strains hermed due to the drastic temp changes. Didnt help either that the light was on during the day and off at night when it got pretty cold. Unfortunately I wasnt able to have my flowering gals at my place this last run. Thats changed, and I also picked up an indoor climate controller. The KM will probably go back to its normal shade. It was nice tho.

S

Swo0

ive heard of guys leaving plants out over night in temps of 15 degrees f but this is late in flower, the resin protects the buds! it def turns purple

Old post but just would like to add 2 cants to possibly clear this up. Plants produce pink, purple , red ect. Colors when temps drop. The reason for this is quite simple. If you notice certain native plants like the weeds I'm your lawn will turn purple in winter but not in warmer seasons. Purple pigment comes from decreased phosphorous. This happens in cooler temps because P becomes less mobile when the temps drop to a certain degree. Depending on the plant and how much P it needs will determine the coloration.
Well that's my two cents or at least that's what my hort professor taught me in school.

Latest posts

Top Bottom