BHO glossary of terms: how types differ and why

• Thread starter endora
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

endora

It would be great if we could get an accurate glossary of bhp terms stickied here. Everything I've seen via googling is really vague or downright wrong. What is the SPECIFIC difference between these different forms of BHO, and what processing steps are used that make them different from each other?

Anyone out there with the knowledge to pull this off? Please use as much detail as possible about how they are different from each other and the processes used.

BHO
DBHO
CO2HO
Shatter
Ice
Wax
Ear Wax
Budder
Full Melt
Bubble Hash
Decarboxyllation
Winterizing
Purging

neverbreak

neverbreak

far from a bho expert myself. interested to see what those who are have to say tho.

some of them...

bho = butane honey oil
co2ho = carbon dioxide honey oil
shatter = bho that dries point it can shatter. never made it myself.
wax = bho with a waxy consistency
bubble hash = hash made with bubble bags - not a type of bho
purging = using a vacuum to purge the bho of all residual butane

only done bho a few times tho so might not be 100% on those.

neverbreak

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
It would be great if we could get an accurate glossary of bhp terms stickied here. Everything I've seen via googling is really vague or downright wrong. What is the SPECIFIC difference between these different forms of BHO, and what processing steps are used that make them different from each other?

Anyone out there with the knowledge to pull this off? Please use as much detail as possible about how they are different from each other and the processes used.

BHO
DBHO
CO2HO
Shatter
Ice
Wax
Ear Wax
Budder
Full Melt
Bubble Hash
Decarboxyllation
Winterizing
Purging

Ill leave it to the experts to clearify specific terms but wax,ear wax, and budder are all the same.

confu

germinator

germinator

Go checkout the oil forum then skunkfarmresearch....trailblazers in this topic.

E

endora

Go checkout the oil forum then skunkfarmresearch....trailblazers in this topic.

Yeah. Read the whole site. There's no glossary there. Is a glossary NOT needed here? Just curious. I'm not just looking to learn myself; I'm trying to help other new folks cut through countless posts and conversation to get to the basic facts.

E

endora

Ill leave it to the experts to clearify specific terms but wax,ear wax, and budder are all the same.

confu

Why do people call "the same thing" by 3 different names? And if so, what makes 'that thing' that thing? IOW, how does it differ from BHO, shatter... how does the processing technique vary, etcetera?

I know this information is covered in 20 different posts here. I'm just wondering why there isn't a simple glossary here so people don't have to keep digging for basic information...

E

endora

Honestly: I still can't believe that nobody has done a glossary of bho-related terms, and more specifically, that there is (apparently) zero information about what specific techniques result in DBHO, shatter, budder, wax, honeycomb... wtf?

Skunkpharm is a great site but they have nothing like that there. How do I make DBHO, or wax? No idea. Does anybody have a link to this info somewhere?

Sirdabsalot

Sirdabsalot

Well, I can compose a glossary of terms and how to reach these final consistencies with plenty of detail along with photographs depicting each term.

Essentially, all the terms are TECHNICALLY the same product being BHO = Butane (extracted) Hash Oil.
Terms such as wax, shatter, honey comb, budder etc, etc..

Are derived from what the final consistency looks like, these differing consistencies are sometimes strain dependent, however an experienced extraction artist can dictate these consistencies by changing variables involved in the process.

i.e.
Raising/lowering temps
Using a vac pump vs no pump
The manner in which the vacuum is applied (how long, how much)
Agitation vs no agitation.

This subject can be quite extensive and would take quite some time to put together a presentation that explains everything correctly.

I'd be willing to do this, but it would be something I'd need some time to do.

Peace, hope this helps a little.

germinator

germinator

Yeah. Read the whole site. There's no glossary there. Is a glossary NOT needed here? Just curious. I'm not just looking to learn myself; I'm trying to help other new folks cut through countless posts and conversation to get to the basic facts.
I concur a glossary of terms would help a lot of peeps.
Unfortunately there are no short cuts or cliffs notes, sir dabs covers the basics for ya, not to mention the science is still evolving. If you can't find it here or skunkfarm it ain't happened yet,stay tuned.

Glab120

Glab120

Smh... I'm sry but this is exactly why I don't wanna be associated with bho.

Dad

Dad

Shatter: glass/see thru/no bubbles/stanky-tasty/no sappy-ness even with above room temp heat
Budder: looks like butter/depending on how you made it to budder it can have little taste(because people purge to damn hot)
c02: c02 extracted(best for pens)
Pho: propane extracted
Iso: alcohol extracted (whatajoke)
Closed loop system: a unit where you can recover your solvent.(a legal must have in CO)
Wax: impurities the clump up when extracting(not going into detail/if you dont know then you shouldnt make errl)
Both can be awesome with the right material and tech.

@Glab120 and others if you dont want to associate with something just because of your lack of education of proper errl then go on ahead more for me :)

Glab120

Glab120

Shatter: glass/see thru/no bubbles/stanky-tasty/no sappy-ness even with above room temp heat
Budder: looks like butter/depending on how you made it to budder it can have little taste(because people purge to damn hot)
c02: c02 extracted(best for pens)
Pho: propane extracted
Iso: alcohol extracted (whatajoke)
Closed loop system: a unit where you can recover your solvent.(a legal must have in CO)
Wax: impurities the clump up when extracting(not going into detail/if you dont know then you shouldnt make errl)
Both can be awesome with the right material and tech.

@Glab120 and others if you dont want to associate with something just because of your lack of education of proper errl then go on ahead more for me :)

Lack of education on bho... No that's a joke... I've been making oil for many years and will challenge anyone's product to compare(but that's not the point) I was being sarcastic... It's the lack of general knowledge that makes me not want to be associated with bho.

No offense "dad"...

Reactions: Dad
B

BestAround

wax.. sap. and budder.. are easier to make then a shatter.. especially an absolute shatter were its purged properly so the terpenes can stick around for a long time.. wax and budder.. there is more surface area for terpenes and oxidation so it tends to lose its smell taste and potency rather quickly.. sap.. is from decarbed buds.. or from a high terpene content .. and usually from stuff that wasn't properly stored causing degrading .. decarbing naturally. all which are great to smoke.. but most wax and budder isn't properly purged before turning it into wax or budder..

most people suck at making bho.. and wax is for candles.. budders for bread.. saps for trees .. if it aint shatter.. it don't matter.. or something along those lines i cant remember how it goes.. but.. shatter is the best and most wanted stuff on the market by anyone who knows anything about BHO

Glab120

Glab120

wax.. sap. and budder.. are easier to make then a shatter.. especially an absolute shatter were its purged properly so the terpenes can stick around for a long time.. wax and budder.. there is more surface area for terpenes and oxidation so it tends to lose its smell taste and potency rather quickly.. sap.. is from decarbed buds.. or from a high terpene content .. and usually from stuff that wasn't properly stored causing degrading .. decarbing naturally. all which are great to smoke.. but most wax and budder isn't properly purged before turning it into wax or budder..

most people suck at making bho.. and wax is for candles.. budders for bread.. saps for trees .. if it aint shatter.. it don't matter.. or something along those lines i cant remember how it goes.. but.. shatter is the best and most wanted stuff on the market by anyone who knows anything about BHO

Some strains are just prone to waxing up... While some stains consistently turn to a clear shatter. It's not all about purging techs, or quality. A lot of wax/budder is actually over purged while a lot of shatter is way under purged(of course there's always exceptions).

M

mcpuffin

Waxing/Buddering has a lot to do with moisture content of your material as well.

P

PenguinSmoke

Well, I can compose a glossary of terms and how to reach these final consistencies with plenty of detail along with photographs depicting each term.

Essentially, all the terms are TECHNICALLY the same product being BHO = Butane (extracted) Hash Oil.
Terms such as wax, shatter, honey comb, budder etc, etc..

Are derived from what the final consistency looks like, these differing consistencies are sometimes strain dependent, however an experienced extraction artist can dictate these consistencies by changing variables involved in the process.

i.e.
Raising/lowering temps
Using a vac pump vs no pump
The manner in which the vacuum is applied (how long, how much)
Agitation vs no agitation.

This subject can be quite extensive and would take quite some time to put together a presentation that explains everything correctly.

I'd be willing to do this, but it would be something I'd need some time to do.

Peace, hope this helps a little.
Waxing/Buddering has a lot to do with moisture content of your material as well.
Soooo, I am new... just got my first oil pen... curious to know if iso extraction end-product can go in basic oil pen...? Saw pics of other peoples iso extract and it looked like wax, and not a thick sap/honey consistency... wondering if I need a special pen, like one from PuffNugs that vaporizes all forms, including flower... need advice/direction...

psilobuds

psilobuds

really gotta get into bho one of these days. seems like the shit

S

sMo

That would be very welcome information. I accidently made wax. I don't know what happened, but I liked that product. It's not messy, easy to 'handle', can be used in a variety of ways and mine had a very pleasant high.

Top Bottom