Votes: 28 17.3%

• Total voters
crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
NO DOUBT...RIGHT?
INTERESTING SET UP THO...
I LIKE THE IRON...CHEAP EFFECTIVE...PROB PRETTY EFFICIENT...
YOU COULD PROB USE A BIGGER PYREX ON IT TOO...
IVE SEEN PEOPLE USE LAMPS ON HERE...
LOW CONSTANT HEAT BASICALLY.....IF U CAN ADD VAC U GET HONEYCOMB...(IF THERES MORE WAX/STARCHES ETC AND OR BUTANE IN THE SAP)
YEA I HEAR YA RE THE BURNT ASPECT...

I JUST THOUGHT PAST LIKE 200 AND YOUR STARTING TO BURN SOME OF THE TERPENES.....
I MEAN YOU DEF ARE, YOU CAN LOOK UP BURN/BOIL/EVAP POINTS FOR MOST OF EM, PINEOLENE, LIMONENE,AND ALL THE OTHER NENES....MANY AFRE 130-200 DEGREES.....
SO IM PRETTY SURE EVEN IF UR NOT "BURNING" IT, IT IS HAVING THE FLAVOR AFFECTED...THATS WHAT PRODUCES THE TASTE, TERPENES/FLAVINOIDS....IF THEY BURN UP OR EVAPORATE, YOU LOOSE THE FLAVOR THEY PROVIDE....RIGHT?

SO THEY PROD CAN STILL TASTE GOOD EVEN DEPENDING ON WHAT TEMPS AND WHAT TERPS HAVE BOILED OFF, AND IT WILL OBVIOUSLY STILL HAVE SOME POTENT EFFICACY AS FAR AS MED EFFECT, BUT I WOULDNT USE THAT MUCH TEMP PERSONALLY BECAUSE ID RATHER HAVE TO WATCH IT HARDER AND HEAT IT LESS AND PRESERVE MORE OF THE ORIGINAL FLOWER FLAVOR, SOMETIMES EVEN SURPASS THE ORIGINAL FLAVOR....VS TURNING UP THE HEAT TO MAKE SURE ALL THE GAS PURGES FAST....

That's why I don't go much past 120 when possible. Actually the water temp for the double boil is like 140*F, but that is when the freezing aspect cools the water fast. I thought 140*F was pushin' it for loss of flavor. I want to preserve those flavors for damn sure! I agree that the oil tastes better then the flowers, most of the time. Taking the plant matter out of the equation makes a big difference! I think it then comes down to what else is extracted off the plant matter, and what is left behind by your solvent. There is where the fine tuning kicks in. Technique is key. I'm still experimenting though,perfecting more like it. Thanks for the input!

Crom

bongstar

bongstar

I know what your talking about, and if you dont have an open close ball valve my method would be hard and would proably over flow. so it definatly depends on what yhoour working with. ive use glass and stainless and pvc, my problem with glass and stanless is i cant seem to fabricate a way to make them air tight. I preffer to have an air tight tube so i can let the weed sit in the butane while under preasure i usualy let it sit for at least ten minuets before i blow it out. agian its this control that alows me to use such vessal like this instead of a pyrex dish, wich i use to use when i used a glass tube.
as far as vac purge ,Its an ok method i hve freinds who do it, but personaly dont think it dose as quality of an extraction and its more work. in my opinion, not worth it but to each there own.

bongstar

bongstar

Tube
Tip1
and by the way i have absoulutely no loss of flavor at the temps i cook at, agin if you perfer a lower temp thats fine.. I have some pics of my tube so you can see how i control the flow. The last pic is of the cap wich is refilable lighter valve fabed into the tube so you can add butane and remove the bottle at any time and remain air tight. the end is a ball valve. and the middle is interchangable so you can use what ever size you need depending on the run i can do any where from grams up to a half P at a time, more if i grind it.
End 2

bongstar

bongstar

I JUST THOUGHT PAST LIKE 200 AND YOUR STARTING TO BURN SOME OF THE TERPENES.....
I MEAN YOU DEF ARE, YOU CAN LOOK UP BURN/BOIL/EVAP POINTS FOR MOST OF EM, PINEOLENE, LIMONENE,AND ALL THE OTHER NENES....MANY AFRE 130-200 DEGREES.....
SO IM PRETTY SURE EVEN IF UR NOT "BURNING" IT, IT IS HAVING THE FLAVOR AFFECTED...THATS WHAT PRODUCES THE TASTE, TERPENES/FLAVINOIDS....IF THEY BURN UP OR EVAPORATE, YOU LOOSE THE FLAVOR THEY PROVIDE....RIGHT?

SO THEY PROD CAN STILL TASTE GOOD EVEN DEPENDING ON WHAT TEMPS AND WHAT TERPS HAVE BOILED OFF, AND IT WILL OBVIOUSLY STILL HAVE SOME POTENT EFFICACY AS FAR AS MED EFFECT, BUT I WOULDNT USE THAT MUCH TEMP PERSONALLY BECAUSE ID RATHER HAVE TO WATCH IT HARDER AND HEAT IT LESS AND PRESERVE MORE OF THE ORIGINAL FLOWER FLAVOR, SOMETIMES EVEN SURPASS THE ORIGINAL FLAVOR....VS TURNING UP THE HEAT TO MAKE SURE ALL THE GAS PURGES FAST....
Ill take that into mind but as ive said ive done many indipendent variable runs temp being on of variable controls and have tasted product cooked at 120 all the way up to 250 i agin perfer 220 to 230. you may be right on a scientific level there may be som diferance, but palatably i notice none, maybe i will try another scientific method with same product same amount of butane same every thing and try a differant cook temp as the variable once again. doing it again cant hurt, im always trying to refine. this time i will have non partisan taste testers as of to avoid self bias. thanks for the info.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Ill take that into mind but as ive said ive done many indipendent variable runs temp being on of variable controls and have tasted product cooked at 120 all the way up to 250 i agin perfer 220 to 230. you may be right on a scientific level there may be som diferance, but palatably i notice none, maybe i will try another scientific method with same product same amount of butane same every thing and try a differant cook temp as the variable once again. doing it again cant hurt, im always trying to refine. this time i will have non partisan taste testers as of to avoid self bias. thanks for the info.

How about the curing time afterwards. Do you leave it exposed to the air or do you contain it? Freeze it?

Tests like that are the best way to figure it out! Hey if that temp works for you go for it! Difference is if you didn't try it and said it wasn't better. Your open minded to others experiences even though you have tested it, AND your not a dick about it! Kudos to you bro! Constructive criticism is hard sometimes! Maybe do a thread on your experience so we can all learn!

Reactions: B.a
bongstar

bongstar

First i freeze it just to make it hard enough to work with, then i just leave it in the container, if its a lot ill cover it just to keep dust out.
And as far as my next test, i will be running in mid september and i will do a controled run with temp as the veriable. I will proably do 130, 160, 190, and 220, and will have a blind taste test. i will keep you folks updated on the test when it goes down.

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

I would never run trees using plastic! Purging depends on how much errl your making! i Make 5-10 grams at a time and the vac method is the best! you can keep the temps down for flavor! its crazy if youve never seen it, it takes the butane right out fast! But before the vaccuum i wouldnt smoke any oil that hadnt been purged for over a couple days.

bongstar

bongstar

"I would never run trees using plastic" but you will smoke weed grown with petro based fertilizers grown in plastc buckets under lights,( wich i have no prob with) but think about what your saying. PVC is made from petroleum by products like most of the hydro nutes used today !PVC is a thermoplastic made of 57% chlorine (derived from industrial grade salt) and 43% carbon (derived predominantly from oil / gas via ethylene)and hence can be regarded as a natural resource.Synthetic Fertilizers are “Man made” inorganic compounds - usually derived from by-products of the petroleum industry. Examples are Ammonium Nitrate, Ammonium Phosphate, Superphosphate, and Potassium Sulfate.I will smoke either organic or in orgainc and Im not being a dick im just rying to open your mind to differant ideas. i just prefer to use scientific facts over hearsay. remember listenig is good but its always best to do reaserch of your own instead of just listening to people. to each there own! And as ive said ive used glass and steel and have done many runs using all with the sientific method and not one operson could taste the differance. i use the pvc because im able to make it air tight and i can allow the weed to soak in the butane as of to fully extract it, and to be able to control the release pressure so i can shoot it into containers that i can purge and store it in. this method is very efficient for me and works great for me. and im sure yours works great for you. And I have seen the vacum method and it isnt as efficent and dosent purge as well in my opinion, but if it works for you do it.

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

Yeah im just not a fan of plastic tubes hence the "I" would never use plastic, you do whatever you want! Ill stick with the glass tubes!

And if you think the vacuum purge method dosent work well your very mistaken

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

Do you know how long it would take to purge this much errl??? a long long time, so you just have that pyrex sit around for ever, ill use a scientific machine specifically used for removing gasses lol.

StuFF 042
bongstar

bongstar

First off your arogance is not welcomed here. this is a fourm for info and good vibes. If you like the vacum you should tell others about your experiance with it. you dont have to knock other peoples methods. Second,If you read my method i dont purge in pyrex but aperantly your have allowed your arogance to blind you and let you fromulate a biased opinion with out any facts. Many methods work well. some people like certian methods more than others. share your experiance if you enjoy it, maybe some one else will take your advise and use it, maybe they wont. this is just a colaberation of ideas. rember the old saying " theres more than one way to skin a cat"

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

Youre the one that bashed me just for saying "I would never use plastic" this is my opinion! and you went off on a crazy rant! You are the one that is arrogant my friend! not once did i say anything bad towards you till you started dogging on the vacuum method lol

bongstar

bongstar

your stament saying i would never use plastic was obviously condecending. and if you read my stament i said im not being a dick im just trying to open up your mind. I never dogged it. ive just done thousands of runs using the scientific method and from my notes it isnt as efficient. I will end this conversation here and star ignoring you to do this thread a favor and keep it on track.

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

I make alot of errl so maybe people would like to hear my opinion too.......

About the plastic, explain to me what the burnt lookin tip is on your extractor??? so we all are just supposed to believe you when you say using pvc over an extended period of time is safe? All i know is on a glass extractor, there isnt any of that going on. Ive known people that use pvc and they say it starts to wear out over time.
So sorry for saying that about plastic.... but one thing i know for sure is that glass is safe hence why i use it.

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

didnt know you posted after i said that last one..... but you have to keep an open mind also and acknowledge that there could be dangers using plastic. My bad for "Disgracing" this thread. I will not post on here anymore.

bongstar

bongstar

Well thank you for you apolagy . Also It isnt burnt, thats oil on it. PVC has been tested extensively under multiple conditions, from high temperature to corrosive environments. As long as it is used in environments less than 140F, there is no effect on the function or lifespan, and because it contains UV resistant materials, it can be used outside with little degradation. PVC contains no metals, it is impervious to corrosion. But
I dont expect U to trust me. I do reaserch from multiple places, But when it comes to compounds and science i dont refer to weed threads, because most people havent done any comprehensive studies, And are not experts in chemistry, or even more specificly the petroleum based thermo plastic resins industry. It is mostly say say repeated, out there.

squiggly

squiggly

I'm a chemist, I'd stay away from anything but HDPE or PTFE for stuff going into lungs. That's just my personal preference--I'm not trying to involve myself with the above argument.

bongstar

bongstar

So are you saying HDPE and PTFE are safer than PVC? And whats the reason? im definatly intrested.

squiggly

squiggly

PVC has been linked (although not definitively) to several possible health problems. For this reason I'd personally go with products which do not have this history.

PTFE is still slightly in question, but its primary manufacturer has developed a different surfactant for the polymerization process which doesn't pose the same health risks as the one previously in use.

PVC is known to contain phthalates which may or may not pose health risks depending on their composition. For me this is a "better safe than sorry" argument. For my purposes, HDPE would be the way to go (if available).

bongstar

bongstar

Thank you for the info. I will look into this further. Have any extensive test been done by any one youve heard of involving butane and PVC or is this this just indefinate knowledge from other conditions PVC was used under extrapolated to the oil extraction feild? Again much apreciated

Latest posts

Top Bottom