Bi Directional Flow Question?

• Thread starter dabarino
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Graywolf

Graywolf

can you elaborate a little on inverting it to re flood please?
When using a Lil Terp or Tamisium without a dip tube, you can turn the thing upside down and the liquid in the recovery tank drains back into the column. If you leave it upside down it soaks.

D

dabarino

@Graywolf
You don’t mean post extraction pre recovery. flip the collection pot upside down full of solvent and bho to let it reflows the column do you? I would think that would make a mess? Or do you mean flip the recovery tank upside to allow liquid lpg to flow through the vapor valve while initially saturating the column

Graywolf

Graywolf

I mean that you can continue to move the LPG from the collection tank to the column and back, by inverting the system and turning it back upright.

If you just shoot the LPG through the column one time, it isn't saturated by the time it makes it to the collection tank. It doesn't make a mess, because it is unsaturated LPG at that point.

D

dabarino

I mean that you can continue to move the LPG from the collection tank to the column and back, by inverting the system and turning it back upright.

If you just shoot the LPG through the column one time, it isn't saturated by the time it makes it to the collection tank. It doesn't make a mess, because it is unsaturated LPG at that point.
So basically your just taking one column volume and circulating it 3 times?

Graywolf

Graywolf

So basically your just taking one column volume and circulating it 3 times?

Depending on the passive extractor size, you can put more than one volume of LPG through the column, before you start inverting it to re-flood the column, but clearly one column volume will exchange each time you invert it.

Dirte Bag

Dirte Bag

We typically make a cotton candy extraction and run our water bath at ~70F <85F and during recovery, flood our column jackets with 150F water.
How do you get the DI slurry out of the sleeve while still attached?

Dirte Bag

Dirte Bag

i think i may go with this set up.. essentially its just a slightly modded mkIII terpenator.... @Graywolf any special tips for running this passively?
other then the 3 column volumes you mentioned.
View attachment 674675
So this setup uses the bottom-fill overflow as the top-fill by turning valves? The BVV one pictured earlier uses separate top fill and overflow hoses. Which is better and why?

Dirte Bag

Dirte Bag

What temp water did you add and how much slurry was in the column
Hot as the tap makes, Probably 125° or so. Is emptying the sleeve necessary on a bidirectional system with active recovery?

Graywolf

Graywolf

How do you get the DI slurry out of the sleeve while still attached?
We don't put DI slurry in the sleeve, we simply freeze the column of material to -18C/0F and use LPG between -30C and -50C. The material stays frozen during the process and we open a three way valve to flood the column jacket with 150F water at the end of the cycle. T

The 3 way valve allows us to circulate the hot water in a loop until we need it, then flood the column, followed by draining it, simply by changing valve position.

Graywolf

Graywolf

So this setup uses the bottom-fill overflow as the top-fill by turning valves? The BVV one pictured earlier uses separate top fill and overflow hoses. Which is better and why?
My design floods from either direction and a bottom flood gives more even wetting and vents vapors better. The top rinse reduces what is left behind.

Dirte Bag

Dirte Bag

We don't put DI slurry in the sleeve, we simply freeze the column of material to -18C/0F and use LPG between -30C and -50C. The material stays frozen during the process and we open a three way valve to flood the column jacket with 150F water at the end of the cycle. T

The 3 way valve allows us to circulate the hot water in a loop until we need it, then flood the column, followed by draining it, simply by changing valve position.
I guess I'm still missing something... Doesn't heating the column default the purpose of freezing your material and solvent?
You have a source of 150° water plumbed to the drain port of your dewaxing sleeve?
How do you have any pressure in a - 50° solvent tank? Do you rely on vacuum and recovery pump to move your solvent against the warm>cold principle? (solvent 50° colder than the column) If so and it works, why do you then heat up the column? I know there's some huge point I'm missing here... Please bear with me as I work this information through my thick skull.

Graywolf

Graywolf

The column is heated after extraction is complete.

I close off the column drain and vent at about -10/15"Hg and open a separate port to the recovery pump, so as to recover it separately from the collection pot. I then switch the column heater three way valves and direct the flow in a loop through the column. The third position on the bottom three way valve is the column drain before removing,

Medizin Maker Mk IVC installation 1 1
Top Bottom