black dots on underside of leaves?

• Thread starter leatherface003
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

leatherface003

I found tiny black dots on the underside of 3 marijuana leaves on one plant which is going into week 4 of 12/12. First of all I dont believe its mites, Ive had experience with mites and whatever this is doesnt act like any mites I've seen. They are tiny black dots slightly bigger and more noticeable than mites. Ive examined them through a magnifying glass and they do not move they are stationary.. they look slightly shiny/glossy. Ive only spotted them on one plant in the whole garden (indoor) and on that plant it was only on 3 leaves towards the top. I noticed because it looked like spider mite damage on the surface and when I turned the leaf over theres tiny black dots? Ive done some research but I cant find an answer.. are these insect droppings (even though I havent found ANY insects)? Is this some sort of stationary pest I havent seen before? Fungus? Some of the possible answers ive ran across but still I would like to hear more experiences..

L

leatherface003

Just wanted to add that there were 2+ dozen dots per leaf.. Ive removed the leaves and examined the rest of the garden and I dont see any more. Is this something that will come back and I should be worried about?

L

leatherface003

i dont think these are spider mites. they are bigger and more noticeable and they DO NOT move. They didnt look like they were spreading either. Just stationary black dots on the undersides of only 2-3 leaves in one plant out of a whole garden

L

leatherface003

i do not have a picture, i cut the 3 leaves from the plant and disposed of them already.. next time i will make sure to take a picture. ive been very vigilant since i cut the leaves off and so far nothing has shown up. I know there are different types of spider mites but dont they all atleast move around? Also are you familiar with any spider mites which are bigger than regular and a glossy black? If so I would appreciate more info on them..

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Actually simply from your description it sounds like scale, but a picture would be infinitely helpful in trying to diagnose your problem. Describing black dots is hard, but also not all that useful; there are several reasons why you can have black dots. The dots could be caused by "honeydew" from thrips or aphids, it could be a fungus, or as I already said it could be scale. A picture would really help with this diagnosis. I would also suggest looking at gardening guides to see if you can find what your problem may be in one of those guides. I know as cannabis growers we face our own issues, but many of our issues are found in many other types of gardens, so you don't have to go to a cannabis specific guide.

L

leatherface003

http://img.invalid.com/albums/v51/Leatherface/dots.jpg
*note: in order to access the picture you must replace "invalid" with "photobucket" on the url.

so heres an update:
this last week, I found some more of these black dots, same plant, on a single leaf, 2-3 dozen black dots.
this time they were on the topside of the leaf.

this is the best picture I was able to get of them.. picture might need to be enlarged to get a better view.

the black dots dont seem to reproduce quickly enough to harm the plant, but id still like to know what this is and how to take care of it?

D

dagmar

Actually simply from your description it sounds like scale, but a picture would be infinitely helpful in trying to diagnose your problem. Describing black dots is hard, but also not all that useful; there are several reasons why you can have black dots. The dots could be caused by "honeydew" from thrips or aphids, it could be a fungus, or as I already said it could be scale. A picture would really help with this diagnosis. I would also suggest looking at gardening guides to see if you can find what your problem may be in one of those guides. I know as cannabis growers we face our own issues, but many of our issues are found in many other types of gardens, so you don't have to go to a cannabis specific guide.[/qu

D

dagmar

i have that too. i have been fighting, spider mites quite successfully and i'm wondering if the black things might be the eggs that have whithered and died....thoughts?

W

Watashi420

It's a combination of mites, aphids, and the poop of both bugs (big black dots are poop). Use a washing agent, such as Mighty Wash, use it 3 times a week and it should kill all your problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom