blackout for 3 days end of flower

• Thread starter Doodaa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Doodaa

Doodaa

I was wondering if this helps plant potency?My last grow we lost power for 4 days the 7th week of flower and I think it made plants more potent so I was going to try again I am just entering my 8th week flower and was going to leave lights off for 3 days then turn back on till finish.I have heard of this going on but not sure if it works or is worth it.

bonkia

bonkia

yes it does. THC degrades from light and builds in the dark i think the plant contiunues to produce tch for 48-72 hrs. It also seems to me they harden up and smell more could just be me? However, i always give my girls 3 days in the dark. Read about it a year or so ago on the net i would give credit to whom ever.... I could recall who did it but alas i dont.. SOoo credit one bonkia,,

K

kushtrees

I think people do this the last couple days of flower not for a couple days then lights back on. I used to do 24 hours dark b4 chop, I saw no difference though

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Kind of sounds like folklore to me, I did try it for a few grows but saw no difference. I do believe it is best to harvest at the end of the lights off cycle.

If you are doing everything right leading up to harvest you won't need tricks or gimmicks. If you look to the essential oil industry, you'll find lots of methods for increasing the production of essential oils in plants. You won't find anyone leaving their spearmint in the dark, that's for sure. Do repeated side by sides and get them tested by a lab, and let us know what you find.

outwest

K

kushsmoker30

weather it's trick, gimmick or whatever, it works every1 i know who has done this gets shinier bulkier looking buds after -4 days in the dark DO NOT do this if u have mites as they will get out of control in the dark 4 that many days.

i do think that if u give 3 days of dark n let go an other week u may get better results, whenever i do 3-4 days of dark i c alot more resin but it's clear so if u let it go another week to get white it may b better. if u do it let us know what u think

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

i dunno about shutting lights off for 3 days a week before finish... to me it seems like your stressing your plant out at a very important time of the flowering cycle. so much takes place during the last couple weeks.

Ive tried a couple days of darkness pre-harvest, didnt notice to much difference. Its hard for me to grow the same strain over and over again, every cycle is different and if it is the same strain, every cycle i grow that strain, it seems like it does a little bit better than the last... Like Outwest said, doing a side by side and then getting it tested would be the best way to confirm.

IMO if you want to try a dark period, apply 24-48 hours darkness before you cut down (no science to back that up either). i did it last run and it took me 5 days to process, so there were some that sat for a bit longer. nothing bettered, nothing worsend.
Z

bonkia

bonkia

I really wish I could reference the study. However, it's as simple as thc degrades with the lights in and builds in the dark. Why does the plant produce thc? Mainly to protect the seed pods from danger. Stress the plant = more thc. That's why some people dry there plants till they droop at the end, feed them ice Water, turn the ac to arctic chill. Whatever there trick is chances are they are stressing the plant.. To up the thc.. To protect its baby's.

bstilwell1988

bstilwell1988

Im gonna Try two days dark before chop. Its not gonna harm anything so y not

K

kushsmoker30

Im gonna Try two days dark before chop. Its not gonna harm anything so y not
add 1 more, day 3 days is the way to go. i've seen it done 4 days with no probs, if ur girls eat everyday u'll need to get in there with a green light n handle ur bizz or they'll b all wilted when u do go inn there to chop

buddahslave

buddahslave

The HID light at the end of harvest starts to degrade the thc so with weak strains you need all the thc you can get. This is why we hang the plants in the dark and store the finish product in the dark. A couple of days in the dark before harvest will help with top grade thc, but fire is fire and if you have fire it wont matter but if you have boo boo then you need the edge!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Maybe the final 1-3 days you give darkness to induce stress for more thc production, but to put the lights out for 24 hours over a week before chop is retarded, IMHO.

Everybody says light will degrade thc, but light also provides energy for photosynthesis, which produces thc, ironic huh??

Stress is known to help produce essential oils, but there are plenty of other ways to do this other then putting the lights out, like cold temps, cold water, ect. like I said before, lights give energy for photosynthesis, which produce thc. Think about that before you put your plants under multiple days of darkness.

Sinner D

Sinner D

i dunno about shutting lights off for 3 days a week before finish... to me it seems like your stressing your plant out at a very important time of the flowering cycle. so much takes place during the last couple weeks.

Ive tried a couple days of darkness pre-harvest, didnt notice to much difference. Its hard for me to grow the same strain over and over again, every cycle is different and if it is the same strain, every cycle i grow that strain, it seems like it does a little bit better than the last... Like Outwest said, doing a side by side and then getting it tested would be the best way to confirm.

IMO if you want to try a dark period, apply 24-48 hours darkness before you cut down (no science to back that up either). i did it last run and it took me 5 days to process, so there were some that sat for a bit longer. nothing bettered, nothing worsend.
Z
I'm with you on this one TheoneandonlyZ, and lex0415. Unless there is a study of plants (same strain) grown side by side using identical methods from start to finish and then one is put to 48 hrs. darkness before harvest and one isn't, as well as having them laboratory tested, then I don't think we'll ever really know if a prolonged period of darkness at the end of the flowering cycle makes for more THC or not. I mentioned this to my favorite Hydroponic store associate today, as I am giving it a shot right now, and he looked at me puzzled and said exactly what lex0415 has expressed, that THC is produced through photosynthesis so this wouldn't make much sense (to him). I'm one day through this little test myself, and with the green light on (a few minutes ago) I was happy to see that the leaves, plants, didn't wilt or fall.
Now, I'm a new grower so I won't pretend to know whether or not this is a good idea or not, I'm just trying it to see what, if any difference is noticeable. That, and I really needed to wait until Friday night to harvest considering I won't have to work the next morning and I'm going to be up all night trimming! So what could it hurt?! But when I looked over the trichomes on my girls Tuesday (day 60) and they're were about 20-25% amber trichomes, I would've been happy with the harvest then and there, as I'm sure my wife (patient) probably would too! But this is solely based on the idea that for my first grow I had about that same amount (20-25% amber) of trichomes ripe and being mystery seeds, the bud turned out to be fire!! So, in the end, like buddaslave says above, if you got fire, you got fire; if you got sh!t, well, then no amount of dark period is going to change that .... IMO.
On one last note, my fav sales assoc. did also say that he'd heard of some people doing this 24 hrs. of darkness for transitioning from veg to bloom simply for the fact that it's a shock to switch from 18/6 to a 12/12 photo period overnight, so they do this to make for a more definitive transition. It's a shock one way or another I'd guess. For better or worse is up to the farmer to decide through experience.

ttystikk

ttystikk

If you are doing everything right leading up to harvest you won't need tricks or gimmicks. If you look to the essential oil industry, you'll find lots of methods for increasing the production of essential oils in plants. You won't find anyone leaving their spearmint in the dark, that's for sure. Do repeated side by sides and get them tested by a lab, and let us know what you find.

outwest

Did you do any of this research into the methods of production of essential oils? What did you find? Anything you think might be relevant to our purposes?

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

MrDizzle talked about this on here a few years back. Since then I have done 36 hours of darkness before chop, but I may try the 72 hours this run. Just to see.

Sinner D

Sinner D

Well, I wanted to go 48 hrs. before harvesting, but I had an unfortunate occurrence that had my ladies exposed to light for 30 mins around 32 hrs. of dark. So, now their going to sit under the light for 12 hours today until I can get home (off work) and chop em. What I did notice though, was that some of the smaller flowers looked as if they had indeed frosted up with more trichomes than I remember them having just 24 hrs. prior to the dark period. Honestly though, I could just be wanting to see a difference so much that I am seeing a difference when there isn't one.
After staying up last night until 1:45 reading through about 20 pages of posts that outwest had about a grow he did last summer, reading and seeing all the different knowledge made available, I gotta say, the man's techniques are proof that (as he says) 'If you're doing everything right up to harvest, you won't need tricks or gimmicks' to get a great finished product. I'm not even trying to kiss ass here, but the man's got some strong and healthy plants in every one of his pic's that I viewed and so the proof is evident, dedication and education to being a good cultivator will out perform any unconventional method or shortcut to a better harvest that anybody may have or use. Also, nothing beats experience! The more you diversify (and record) your growing methods, the more you will learn over time.
As of now, I'm very proud of what I have achieved in only two grows, not knowing a damn thing from day one, to harvesting over two ounces per plant on my first couple of runs. Which is by no means a bountiful harvest, or as bountiful as most experienced farmers on here. But, I haven't had any major pest issues, along with the common problems of air, water, and light. The smoke I grew for my patient (wife) from my first run is still smoking good, not drying out completely, and I had enough to last her all the way until my next harvest (which will be tonight) is done drying, 10 to 14 days from now. I've saved $70.00 to $100.00 a week for the last month, and my lovely Wife hasn't had any complaints about the quality of her medicine at all. This all makes me very happy, and very proud that I have accomplished what I had in mind for my personal goals since starting the whole caregiver endeavor. But I won't continue to just be happy with these numbers of two ounces per plant for good. I'm already implementing new soil amendments, and techniques to up the harvest this next run. I absolutely love doing this as a hobby and secondary profession (for lack of a better term).

datDANK

datDANK

DJ SHORT DOES LIGHTS OFF FOR LAST 3 DAYS... DJ SHORT.....

some of you act like its the hardest thing to do a side by side and then lab test.. this is prolly one of the easier experiments to do

if a master grower like short says to do it... why go against him???

Top Bottom