blackout for 3 days end of flower

• Thread starter Doodaa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

well done sinner, just don't change to many things or you won't know what it is, if something goes wrong.

datDANK if it`s good enough for DJ than it`s good enough for all of us right?

So the Tri-chromes are there to protect the cells in the leaf during daylight, the tri's protect the plant by sacrificing the particals inside the tri's. So it workes kind of like this

the tri has lets say 10 particles at night, the next light period the tri uses 3 parts of it's 10 to protect the plant, so when the sun sets the particles are down to 7. At night that's when it builds it's protection, it make 5 particles so going into the next light period it has a life of 12 and it repeats.

When plants are given an extended period of darkness the plants do not have the daily loss, the daily degradation of THC as it protects the delicate inner glands from UV-B light waves. Plus the plants are in their 'night function mode' where more THC 'particles' are being produced than during the day. So over the 72-hours you have no loss of THC due to light degradation and at the same time you have the 'night function' increased rate of production of THC occurring. The two combine for what can, in some strains, be a significant increase in levels of THC, and a lesser increase in other strains. Like so much in growing it appears to be strain dependent on just how great of an increase there will be, but there will be an increase. It might be so little that it could only be detected using gas chromatography coupled with mass spectroscopy and it might be great enough to knock your socks off.

K

kushsmoker30

Good stuff woodsmaneh, i've done this n there is a diff not only in tri-chromes but in the size of ur nuggs u'll notice it in ur lower nuggs the most they'll not only look frostier but get more bulked up. ur lower shittier buds will seem a lil more chunkier.

i know some people steady going topself 4 years (over 15) when i 1st asked bout 3 day dark they talked shit bout it saying it was a joke, as time went on n we became more like friends 1 of em actually admitted that is a trick they do "every time". his theory is aside from the fact that most THC is produced during the dark period n degrades in light, he feels as if the stress from the dark forces the plant to think death is near in an effort to survive n protect her babies (false seed pods/buds) she gives her all n pushes like never b4 resulting in "chunkier frostier nuggs".

if i remember correctly DJ Short is not the only old school breeder to recommend this, off the top my i can't recall the other breeder may have been a white widow breeder.

buddahslave

buddahslave

I personally like house and gardens bud-xl, I can say from test of fire and boo boo that this stuff will increase thc production. I have tested it with and without and I have found that the production is significant enough to justify buying the product plus my patients notice the difference.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

DJ Short also says that bud doesnt reach its full maturity unless some portion of the plant has been sexed. he also stated that you shouldnt take product to Cups/Comps unless its been cured for 8 months- year.... When i asked Short about the dark period before harvest, he said the stress increased trichome & resin production, also said he seen it help purple out strains upon finish. Oh and i almost forgot, he is all about dry trimming. He also made it clear that he has no scientific evidence backing his claims but DJ's experience and accomplishments speak for them self. I was more into breeding Q's and selecting males and phenos from g1's - p10's... good timeZ

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

If DJ Short says it works, I'm all for it :)

This past harvest, about 2 weeks ago, I harvested 4 1/2 out of 5 plants, I let the half of 1 plant sit in the dark for an extra 60 hours or so. It looked frostier and felt slightly heavier then the other half I chopped 2 1/2 days earlier. Just my experience, and I honestly never believed in the 'dark period' increasing trichs, but it seemed to work when I did it. Plus it felt heavier.

K

kushsmoker30

If DJ Short says it works, I'm all for it :)

This past harvest, about 2 weeks ago, I harvested 4 1/2 out of 5 plants, I let the half of 1 plant sit in the dark for an extra 60 hours or so. It looked frostier and felt slightly heavier then the other half I chopped 2 1/2 days earlier. Just my experience, and I honestly never believed in the 'dark period' increasing trichs, but it seemed to work when I did it. Plus it felt heavier.

did the nuggs look a bit chunkier?
i really feel it helps the lower stuff be less crappy by adding a tad more bulk

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

did the nuggs look a bit chunkier?
i really feel it helps the lower stuff be less crappy by adding a tad more bulk

Yes, that what I meant, it had more bulk compared to the other half of the plant. Its not a huge difference, but I was shocked at the slight difference I could tell because I have always been a skeptic (without trying it of course).

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I do this almost every run, especially if I'm trying to get color. I not only turn the lights off though, I drop temps to 55, set dehu to 35, and let them dry up to nearly a wilt. Never had flowers so purple.

I just ran a large Blackberry kush and last Wed. did this when the plant showed zero purple on its flowers. Friday came time to chop and noticeable addition of purple.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Thats why I like growing purple strains outdoors up north, around 41 degrees latitude, the cold temps and low RH brings out the purple. In Florida I liked to grow sativas outdoors because of the sub-tropic climate, that soaring high is great.

K

kushsmoker30

no bs i heard a old school seed company used to rec. 1 shut off lights on some strains for 3+ days, then letting it go a week. truth be told the tric's produced during black out r clear as fuck, i do it cuz i do feel like it make's a slight diff in size.

this time think i'll take 1-4 plants n give em dark for 3 days, then let em go a few more days-week n c what it do.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
no bs i heard a old school seed company used to rec. 1 shut off lights on some strains for 3+ days, then letting it go a week. truth be told the tric's produced during black out r clear as fuck, i do it cuz i do feel like it make's a slight diff in size.

this time think i'll take 1-4 plants n give em dark for 3 days, then let em go a few more days-week n c what it do.

Maybe the light is what turns THC amber?...

I think amber THC is Degraded THC..not sure though..:confused:

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

It sounds like it makes sense, but when I thought about it the plant will have trichs since week 2-3, so they never turn amber until the final week or so. If light turned trichs amber then every plant would have amber trichs around week 3-4, right??

So light doesn't turn trichs amber, but light does degrade THC, but THC degrades when it turns amber...WTF!?! :banghead: :confused:

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Thats actually a really good idea, I never thought about that. If you harvest soon will you let us know how it goes?? If you have the time and not too busy of course.

Sinner D

Sinner D

Well. The harvest did seem to be frostier, especially the lower buds, than it was before darkness. I wish I could say it was 48 hrs., but I had accidentally exposed them to light around 32 hrs. and didn't get a chance to go the full two days. This was my second grow and I'd had some bad luck with a mystery seed going hermie on me around 3 weeks into flowering. I caught it pretty quick, but of course, not quick enough as the other three plants that I had growing with this one were affected. :inpain: Needless to say I was a little upset, but $h!t happens. Where I'm going with this is that I knew I was going to have at least a few seeds in my crop, so I figured I would do something, anything to make it a better harvest. The dark period seemed a common addition by many growers to their harvest, and a safe bet to try out. Since I didn't really get the 48 hrs. that I wanted to for a full effect on the plants, I'll try it again in a couple months with some Kush Berry that I'm going to start flowering this week. No real opinion on this until I can say for sure that I've had positive or negative results.
I would also like to try this with some Blue Mystic that I have on order (seeds). If it could add some color by leaving them in the dark for 48 hrs or more, and by running a lower temp n' humidity, it would be nice. This last run was some seeds that I had procured from a bag I bought my Wife at a dispensary, it was GDP, but it didn't get a whole lot of purple going on. Still, look at this nice Cola Bud from my best of the three plants! Not too bad for a novice Eh!

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

light indeed is a factor in the maturing of trichomes; and in a sense thc-a degrades or "oxidizes" into thc which is the form humans ingest.....hope alls goin good with your outdoor ken i'm still in awe of the beauty of that purple you grew and posted....take it easy brotha

K

kushsmoker30

Thats actually a really good idea, I never thought about that. If you harvest soon will you let us know how it goes?? If you have the time and not too busy of course.

not yanking any time soon, but i will deff try it on @ least 1 minimal n yea i'll have the time if all is well as the wife is the 1 that works around here;)

K

kushsmoker30

i should of said the wifes the 1 works around here "these days", it's always been the other way around.....change is good LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom