Blocking RF Noise from Digital Ballasts

• Thread starter Billygoat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

OG4UanME

hey i just posted this, thought this thread would hopefully get more results
ive been waiting for 6 months to see some info from other growers on this issue, i too have a quantum 1000, i loved it up untill the point the cable company knocked on my door to tell me there was interference coming from my apartment( ohhshit!!) offcoarse i panicked, returned to seller whom exchanged with no problems. after doing this for 2 more exchanges he tested all the 1s in his shop to find that they all did thie same thing( turned am radio on to here if there was any squeeling, interference)then returned to ,manufacturing. after 3 months of waiting to here bacl from local shop finally i was told that it was due to the cord that runs from ballast to bulb, sooo, he then switched with another 1 that is wrapped internally with a thin metal to stop interference. so now here i am with a new 1000watt quantum and a hortilux bulb that ive waited for along time now for, that is suppose to block all ifr signals. but waddya know still causing interference!!! i am so bumed about this, i dont know what else to do? other than return to store and stick with magnetic. any help would be great guys.

lollipopman

lollipopman

the only way to block it to use aluminum foil, (yes i know aluminum foil what the f*ck) thats the only way with out changing your eq..

Billygoat

Billygoat

Thanks everyone for the info. Going to be picking my 600 unit up soon. will let everyone know what I think about it. Just getting one and seeing for myself. Just need them to last till spring and not cause any problems. Then once I'm in my new larger location. I'll be back to the good old coil units.
Thanks,
BG

W

winterykiss

Dear BG, this was really a great topic for a thread. This is the kind of info that everyone should read if they are growing in places that are not de-crim.
I am a very novice grower for sure and am flying on a wing and a prayer sometimes when it comes to getting things right. Learing something new is always awsome!!!
Thanks all for a good thread.

PEACE
Winterykiss

T

Thallamus

Great thread thanks Billygoat!
I have been looking for this info for a while too.Timing couldn't have been better for this thread. Just had the Cable guy knock on my door 30 min ago. It appears i'm the guilty party screwing up the neighbors signals. Sux, because I just fired up my 1k e-hps a few days ago. I check my am radio and ph meter and all seems good....for me at least. How is it possible that my stuff works and not my neighbor? Odd. Anyway, I'm gonna try shortening the lead and use foil as well. Any other sugestions?
-T

K

kimburns

BG great thread, i personally would have never thought about this, so im more informed and safer. so thanks

B

been

I just noticed the other day that my T5s mess with the broadcast digital box (tv) that's about 3 feet away. :anim_52:

T

Thallamus

Well, I just wrapped the cords with Al/Cu tape. Let's see what the cable guy says on Monday.
-T

Billygoat

Billygoat

Morning everyone,

sorry, been super busy. Thinking about changing my middle name to busy. :) Any ways, picked up two new units. Boy, did I get a big surprise. The new 600W Lumatek Digital Ballast - 240V and others have a dial on them. You can control the power to the bulbs. I like this allot. I've got them set at 100%, but there is a setting after 100% called super or something like that. I'll have to look later

I hate to say it and I will eat my words for what I have said in the past. I'm sorry, but these units FUCKIN ROCK. There are NO noises but this very low sound and you got to put your ear up to the ballast to hear it. No noise what so ever. Man, my room is so peaceful now. OH, any the heat levels. I've drop my over all room temp by a full 4-5 degree's. Tell me that some good shit. I was shocked at hold cooler these units run.

The ballast after running a full 12 hours on. The units are just warm to the touch. You can keep your hands on them and they are just warm. As for RF, I haven't seen any at all. My cell works fine, blue tooth, wireless and tv no problems. Will see if everything goes well, but it's looking good so far.

I can't remember what bulbs I'm using but they are GE in a green box and will list them later. They fire up so quickly and I'm loving these units. I'm going to be buying anoter soon. Replacing all three that I use for my larger tent. Will also be buying a 1000 watter for my pollen room.

Well, so far so good. If anyone has any questions. Post a way and I will answer them.
Again, I have eating my old words on the shit I've posted in the past, BUT. Those where for the old unit and before they worked out all the bugs. Looks like the units are solid. Will see after running them for a year or so.
Take care,
BG

B

been

Yeah bro! Keep us updated. I've heard scary things about Lumateks. Does yours have a reset button on it? :rofl Are you using an a/c'd hood on those lights?

B

Butters

Still need to research how to filter incoming power lines but a Faraday cage might work for some.

From Wiki:

A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure formed by conducting material, or by a mesh of such material. Such an enclosure blocks out external static electrical fields. Faraday cages are named after the English scientist Michael Faraday, who invented them in 1836.[1]

A Faraday cage's operation depends on the fact that an external static electrical field will cause the electrical charges within the cage's conducting material to redistribute themselves so as to cancel the field's effects in the cage's interior. This phenomenon is used, for example, to protect electronic equipment from lightning strikes and other electrostatic discharges.

To a large degree, Faraday cages also shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the radiation's wavelength. For example, certain computer forensic test procedures of electronic components or systems that require an environment devoid of electromagnetic interference may be conducted within a screen room. These screen rooms are essentially work areas that are completely enclosed by one or more layers of fine metal mesh or perforated sheet metal. The metal layers are grounded to dissipate any electric currents generated from the external electromagnetic fields, and thus block a large amount of the electromagnetic interference. See also electromagnetic shielding.

Note that the reception of external radio signals, a form of electromagnetic radiation, through an antenna within a cage can be severely reduced or even totally blocked by the cage itself.

Examples:

* The shield of a screened cable, such as the coax used for cable television, protects the internal conductors from electrical noise.
* A shopping bag lined with aluminum foil acts as a Faraday cage. It is often used by shoplifters to steal RFID tagged items.

So yes aluminum foil will work it just has to be on all sides and grounded. I would stay away from lead as it is toxic and harder to work with over aluminum foil. You could use a wire mess of any conductive material but you would have to know the RF freq you are trying to block (in this case keep in) and then calculate the max opening size. Much easier and most likely cheaper to just use solid sheet of foil.

The cage could either be the entire room or just around the ballast(s). But in the later the output to the lamp may still be an issue and need to be addressed.

Now as I first stated the only issue would be RF leakage thru input power lines (for complete room cage) or both input and output (for ballast only cage). The proper filtering would solve this.

With all that being said current digi ballasts should have all the shielding internal along with filters on input and output to eliminate RF noise. It would be great if the ballast manufactures would take the extra step to have there ballast EMC tested by a reputable testing agency like UL, CSA or TUV.

Disclaimer: the info from Wiki is just that and in no way do I condone the use of aluminum foil lined shopping bags to commit theft!

T

Thallamus

Well cable guy came out today. Seems that one of the landscapers weed whacked a cable line near my indoor garden. The cable guy repaired it and informed me that no more RF was coming from my home. I'm clean....phew:)
-T

U

ultrasonic

Interesting!

I myself purchased a chinese e-ballast that ran at a higher hz. It producer rf interference, but only for my tri-ph meter/am radio. I junked it, and have purchased a 1000w lumatek. If I have rf issues, I'll build some sort of cooled rf shielded box for it, or get one of those mesh screens.

Glad to hear it wasn't yer grow room leakin'

K

KillBillBuds

Well, so far so good. If anyone has any questions. Post a way and I will answer them.

Good luck my friend. I am testing them out for the 1st time too. I was reluctant as well, but my hydrostore lady insured me that she would take care of me if I encountered any probs...plus she gave me a great price. Installing 6 1000 watters this weekend.

Take care.

KBB

Billygoat

Billygoat

Good luck my friend. I am testing them out for the 1st time too. I was reluctant as well, but my hydrostore lady insured me that she would take care of me if I encountered any probs...plus she gave me a great price. Installing 6 1000 watters this weekend.

Take care.

KBB

Thanks,

Nice to see you Bill. I'm about to buy my first 1000 watter digital. Kind of looking forward to it. Going to get a XXXL hood to use and place it over a custom made ebb&flo table.

I'm digging these ballast and no problems, knock on wood. I get a sweet deal also. Since I know almost all the main hydro rep's in the area. I'll let everyone know how the 1000 watter goes, but the 3 600 240 units I'm running now. Are just running great.
Take care,
BG

K

KillBillBuds

Nice to see you Bill. I'm about to buy my first 1000 watter digital. Kind of looking forward to it. Going to get a XXXL hood to use and place it over a custom made ebb&flo table.
Excellent BG...hopefully we don't have any digi problems that have been brought up here & other threads. There seems to be quite a bit of mixed opinions.

Careful with that Magnum XXXL...them suckers are huge! I just finished cramming six of them "Ocho's" in a 10 x 12 room...but left with a half inch gash across my scalp!:icon_dizzy: Gonna have to wear a hardhat in the bloom room.lol

Olyver

Olyver

I'm currently building an enclosure with four digital ballasts mounted with RF shielding using EMF/Radio Frequency Shielding Fabric. Each Flip/Ballast enclosure is lined with the fabric. Manufacturer 100% assured will work on the ballasts, won't know till I use the fabric. The enclosure will contain four digital ballasts, digital timer, 30A/240V 3P/4W plug, breaker protection, internal fan, eight Hydrofarm lampcord receptacles (extra four receptacles are for the Flip option), PLC for delays and control, etc. Will all be mounted in a roadcase 20" x 36" x 6", weighing less than 60 pounds. Not sure what total costs are yet, but I will give details when it's finished.

Olyver

M

mountaindank

I don't think my Lumatek 250 puts out any interference, or if it does, it hasn't interfered with anything I own. :) Is there any way to test for such things? Or no harm, no foul?

Latest posts

Top Bottom