Blocking RF Noise from Digital Ballasts

• Thread starter Billygoat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Max Frost

Max Frost

Those are supposed to be good. The remote Gavita ballast has been reported to have some problems with cable.

I just ordered the new 600/750 DE, and one of the major factors influencing my decision was that these fixtures are supposed to give off zero RF! I've been assured that RF will not be an issue with these lights. When I get them hung, I'll be sure and report back here and let y'all know if it's true or BS. If they give off any at all, they'll be going back and I'll be running mag ballasts. All the probs with RF are created in the cabling between the ballast and the lamp. With the ballast attached directly to the lamp, there's no place for the signal to be emitted from, so it makes sense that the Gavitas will not give any off. Again...I'll let ya know in about another week! Best, -Max

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Ok, the title is pretty simple. If your running a digital ballast. There is a chance your producing RF noise. If your running a shitload of them. Good chance your keying a large signal and maybe causing problems with the person next door.

Here's a new material and idea that should cure the problem. Just wanted to post the link and info. I'm sure this idea and product with kill the signal. From what I've read. Looks to be a good idea.

Oh, before anyone saying digital ballast doesn't key up a signal, your wrong. I personally know one of the largest sales rep for one of the biggest light manufacturers in the country and he won't use one in his own personal garden. I won't go into details, but some of them do have their issues and some don't.

Hope this link helps those with any problems.
Take care,
BG
Wow thanks a lot for the info! I just posted a thread about this same thing bc I had my cable/internet provider knock on my door and said I was affecting like 5sq miles! I had to unplug everything! I was thinking of switching to magnetic ballast but now I am about to read your links and hopefully solve my problem!

DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez

Gavita is supposedly one of the WORST in terms of RF. They give off more than almost any light from what I hear.. Haven't personally tested this so don't take my word for it.

Nanolux makes RF reducers might want to check them out fwiw.

J

jeff1962

The new remote control solis tech will have the cable man knocking...im running galaxy grow amps with no rf interference...stay safe!!!!!

H

happy b

Wow thanks a lot for the info! I just posted a thread about this same thing bc I had my cable/internet provider knock on my door and said I was affecting like 5sq miles! I had to unplug everything! I was thinking of switching to magnetic ballast but now I am about to read your links and hopefully solve my problem!
Ha I see u found it . I just posted on your thread about this but you beat me to it.

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

The new remote control solis tech will have the cable man knocking...im running galaxy grow amps with no rf interference...stay safe!!!!!
After going to a buddies house he runs a few of the solis tek 1000s and has no problems with rf and his cable and modem are in the same room...at the opposite side but still same room. I know galaxys are supposed to emit the lowest rf but kinda too late bc i have a solis tek coming in on sunday...hopefully everything works out...if not i will be so freaking upset...thanks for the info thou....oh and also i will be using ferrite cores and these f type terminator caps in the room plus having my modem and all cable relocated up a floor and on the complete opposite side of my house so I think it will all be gravy...fingers crossed

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Well, I just wrapped the cords with Al/Cu tape. Let's see what the cable guy says on Monday.
-T
Is this like the aluminum ducting tape? if not whats a brand so I can find it online?? please and thank you

Big JAE

Big JAE

Hello, I was wondering how you ended up fixing or building your special cords? About to build a room that has to be invisible basically, lol, and will be mounting two new 1k digital ballast. Was going to mount them as close to the ceiling / heat exhaust fans as possible to keep any heat as close to exhaust for obvious reason. Just trying to figure out what I need to so RF can never even come up.

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Hello, I was wondering how you ended up fixing or building your special cords? About to build a room that has to be invisible basically, lol, and will be mounting two new 1k digital ballast. Was going to mount them as close to the ceiling / heat exhaust fans as possible to keep any heat as close to exhaust for obvious reason. Just trying to figure out what I need to so RF can never even come up.
I just switched to a Galaxy Grow Amp 1000 and have had ZERO problems since...their cords come with ferrite cores already attached and I absolutely love the ballast! NO complaints...never ended up building faraday cage or wraping my words so sorry can't help ya there!! Hope everything works out for ya!

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Also if you are building a room and not using a tent I would 100% go with that paint that blocks RF disturbance. When I build a sealed room I will without a doubt be using that stuff as an extra precautionary step! there is a link to it somewhere here in this thread or you can just goggle "paint that stops rf disturbance" or something like that

Big JAE

Big JAE

damn, I don't want to design and build my own DIY cords with ferrite core filters but if I have to I will. Just seems like ever since they made the big switch to digital tv that the only people who might get interference are HAM radio people. damn

Big JAE

Big JAE

I know man but I've been putting myself in the poor house because of buying so many odds and ends things trying not to forget or take care of any future problems ahead of time by being the ultimate planner. I already spent extra $ on 4 mil mylar 100ft x 4ft roll to do whole room including floor, insulated ductwork, built an insulated sound deadening box for both 6 inch 454 cfm inline fans and both 6 inch 250 cfm booster fans for light cooling & exhaust system, sound deadening boxes for 1157 GPH air pump & 1200 GPH inline water pump, both of which I added 2 very heavy duty CPU heatsinks with 92mm speed controllable CPU case fans and using a 20 gallon cooler as a res that's inside a 3/4" thick MDF board box lined with 2" of foam board insulation including the lid with all seams sealed with cheap silicone, 8 5 gallon bucket modules, 3/4" flex hose plumbing a light tight RDWC will keep a 1 gallon frozen jug for 3 days when circulating 24/ 7!!!!! I was able to make all the sound deadening boxes using foam board & foam board glue so each component only weighs 2 pounds more then before making hanging the ventilation stuff lot easier. I guess I can't really complain about all these small things because all these extra little ideas have made me focus on each section / component maximizing it into not needing a chiller and a super quiet stealthy room so far. Once I finally figure out the best way to put up the mylar ( need a method or way I can do the ceilings and walls without help, nobody else knowing is best right?) then I can finally start a new mother plant...Dude I've been killing myself trying to think of everything to the point that yesterday I got a package from China I ordered that had a new set of cheap coveralls to put on to wear into my clean room I mean grow room to make sure I don't traffic anything in on my clothes etc. LOL!! So now it looks like I'll be obsessing about RF filters for my ballast until that's done lol Thanks for the input buddy!!

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

damn, I don't want to design and build my own DIY cords with ferrite core filters but if I have to I will. Just seems like ever since they made the big switch to digital tv that the only people who might get interference are HAM radio people. damn
no it affects cable modem people like crazy too! I had my whole neighborhood on the fritz...LOL

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

I know man but I've been putting myself in the poor house because of buying so many odds and ends things trying not to forget or take care of any future problems ahead of time by being the ultimate planner. I already spent extra $ on 4 mil mylar 100ft x 4ft roll to do whole room including floor, insulated ductwork, built an insulated sound deadening box for both 6 inch 454 cfm inline fans and both 6 inch 250 cfm booster fans for light cooling & exhaust system, sound deadening boxes for 1157 GPH air pump & 1200 GPH inline water pump, both of which I added 2 very heavy duty CPU heatsinks with 92mm speed controllable CPU case fans and using a 20 gallon cooler as a res that's inside a 3/4" thick MDF board box lined with 2" of foam board insulation including the lid with all seams sealed with cheap silicone, 8 5 gallon bucket modules, 3/4" flex hose plumbing a light tight RDWC will keep a 1 gallon frozen jug for 3 days when circulating 24/ 7!!!!! I was able to make all the sound deadening boxes using foam board & foam board glue so each component only weighs 2 pounds more then before making hanging the ventilation stuff lot easier. I guess I can't really complain about all these small things because all these extra little ideas have made me focus on each section / component maximizing it into not needing a chiller and a super quiet stealthy room so far. Once I finally figure out the best way to put up the mylar ( need a method or way I can do the ceilings and walls without help, nobody else knowing is best right?) then I can finally start a new mother plant...Dude I've been killing myself trying to think of everything to the point that yesterday I got a package from China I ordered that had a new set of cheap coveralls to put on to wear into my clean room I mean grow room to make sure I don't traffic anything in on my clothes etc. LOL!! So now it looks like I'll be obsessing about RF filters for my ballast until that's done lol Thanks for the input buddy!!
I grow in soil so half that stuff your talking about is gibberish to me but if it were me id paint the walls with that paint then put up the maylar plus id go with galaxy grow amp ballasts...but i also hear nanolux and another brand are good with low rf output...

Big JAE

Big JAE

Yeah I grew in soil for 12 years inside and outdoors. I actually just put a 2 year old mother plant into the ground in the most perfect spot that gets light all day long and am so F'n excited about how it's going to be the size of an apple tree at the end of October (yeah, I can fantasize though, lol) I switched to hydro when I tried it out with just half DWC plants in 5 gallon buckets, 1/2 in soil and when the crop was officially done I got 40% more bud that had a higher THC content than the soil. (lab tested) The only thing that I've had a hard time dialing in and takes years to master with hydro, is the flavor. Seems like no matter what you do, a soil grown plant always produces a better tasting smoke. But for that very small difference in taste which most people can't tell I stick with the water. But don't get me wrong, I have 6 bags of pro-mix bx mycorrhizae in my shed out back in air tight container so if a disaster happens, long term power outage etc I can try to quickly add my leftover res water with those bails and possibly save the ladies!!! lol

Big JAE

Big JAE

I did find this though, its cheap and can easily cover the power wires.

Top Bottom