Blood And Bones: Outdoor 2018

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Yup, those beauties are begging to go sun bathing. Nice structure, healthy color, nice job dude.

I agree with redlife215 100%. Figure out where you want them to finish and stick em. Every time you transplant you're going to stress them, and not in a good way. I think, not certain, but in my opinion, you're going to get a better yield from a single transplant. It's not that I don't think the girls can recover. It's that the outdoor season is finite and each time they're transplanted they stall. That equals less veg time. Fewer nodes, fewer flowers.

If they were indoor I'd see it as less of a problem because you control the season. I don't know if multiple transplants negatively effect the quality of the flowers but I have seen weakened plants from prior pest infestations and physical damage produce a lower grade bud.

Just a thought. I may be completely wrong. This is my opinion from personal observations and I have no scientific data to back it up.
That being said if they are going outside anyway I would be inclined to put in their final home and let them get comfy

K

kansabis

I disagree with transplant stress. Transplant stress only comes if you are transplanting s plant that is in ground or a huge bed and you have to rip up the roots real bad. “Uppotting” is not transplanting and will have no negative on the plant.
I have to agree,what some may consider transplant stress when uppotting is just the time the plant is taking to expand the roots before it takes off above ground. Their is alot going on below the surface that those of us outdoors or indoors in dirt and sometimes Coco can't see,but the hydro guys see nothing but roots so they do have that edge.

justiceman

justiceman

Time for the kids to move out :D
hahahaha yup!
Afgooey is a nice looking plant! Can’t wait to see how they do outside. Nice job!
Thank you! Definitely looking forward to finally being outside. I love outdoor grows.
I disagree with transplant stress. Transplant stress only comes if you are transplanting s plant that is in ground or a huge bed and you have to rip up the roots real bad. “Uppotting” is not transplanting and will have no negative on the plant.
Yup. When done gently I have not run into any issues.

IMO Handling rootballs roughly or trying to uppot when the roots have not become established is where growers can run into transplant stress from ripped root balls. That of course alludes to your example of taking a plant out of the ground or a bed.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Yup I agree. It's just slightly below 15 hrs of daylight now. I might cage them I was thinking about it.

They definitely want to go to bed now.

——————————-

I wanted to put them to bed yesterday or today but tomorrow will be about 100F so I figured I'd wait till Sunday when it goes back down into the high 80s. My school of thought is the young plants won't be stressing for water as much right after the transplant in the 80's vs the 100's

So instead I mixed my beds around again today. They are smelling nice and earthy. I believe the reconditioning has gone well, but we will see once the plants are in. I should have already brewed a compost tea for the beds but regardless I think decomposition is going well. I'll definitely brew some up soon though. Here are the ladies sunbathing getting used to the outside.

Outlaw
View attachment 812012

Blueberry Gum #2 View attachment 812013

Farm Cheese(This one is starting to get root bound and angry that I have left her in such a small pot for so long. Soon she will spread her roots!)View attachment 812014

Afgooey View attachment 812015
those look great bro,i just started a pile of cow shit bokashi 2 days ago,that might be something to look into,im hoping for sucess with mine,actually i got 2 piles going,one with cow shit leaves and alfalfa,wheat bran and sugar beet husk with mollases,piles are huge in couple months i be looking for more i bet,hahah should have seen the facial expressions when i started asking folk to pick up there cow shit,haahah,but hey you can always shade cloth them girls and get the legs spreading if you dig,great work on them healthy plants

justiceman

justiceman

those look great bro,i just started a pile of cow shit bokashi 2 days ago,that might be something to look into,im hoping for sucess with mine,actually i got 2 piles going,one with cow shit leaves and alfalfa,wheat bran and sugar beet husk with mollases,piles are huge in couple months i be looking for more i bet,hahah should have seen the facial expressions when i started asking folk to pick up there cow shit,haahah,but hey you can always shade cloth them girls and get the legs spreading if you dig,great work on them healthy plants
Oooooo that sounds awesome. Gonna be good stuff. I love all the types of composting you do. It's very inspirational. I think I have a pretty good idea of what the people faces looked like. "Sir! Sir! Excuse me sir! Can I please have your cow shit?" :drunk2: lmao!

Solid idea on the shade cloth. I was actually considering it a day or so ago but I figured it woulnd't be worth the work just to get the plants in a couple days earlier. It won't hit 100 again for at least another week or so which by then they should have gotten some good legs going and shouldn't have a problem dealing with a few hot days here and there.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Oooooo that sounds awesome. Gonna be good stuff. I love all the types of composting you do. It's very inspirational. I think I have a pretty good idea of what the people faces looked like. "Sir! Sir! Excuse me sir! Can I please have your cow shit?" :drunk2: lmao!

Solid idea on the shade cloth. I was actually considering it a day or so ago but I figured it woulnd't be worth the work just to get the plants in a couple days earlier. It won't hit 100 again for at least another week or so which by then they should have gotten some good legs going and shouldn't have a problem dealing with a few hot days here and there.
been in triples here for a month hahah them piles are steaming too,cant hardly stir from dodging steam,lmao,you know i figured a few years back,that all this damn raking got to be good for something right,so started composting,trying some em1 also on one pile,i do believe i done got a hernia stirring that shit bro,lmao but ya so when i ran out of leaves in my yard,noticed these city folk up around here put the shit in paper bags and city comes by about every 6 months and pick um up,well a friendly knock on the door will not only get you the leaves,but the ass holes be wanting ya go ahead and rake the yard too,lol

justiceman

justiceman

been in triples here for a month hahah them piles are steaming too,cant hardly stir from dodging steam,lmao,you know i figured a few years back,that all this damn raking got to be good for something right,so started composting,trying some em1 also on one pile,i do believe i done got a hernia stirring that shit bro,lmao but ya so when i ran out of leaves in my yard,noticed these city folk up around here put the shit in paper bags and city comes by about every 6 months and pick um up,well a friendly knock on the door will not only get you the leaves,but the ass holes be wanting ya go ahead and rake the yard too,lol

Hahaha! I bet turning all those piles has got to be a workout for sure. Even turning my beds is a nice one. I am cracking up about the leaves story lmao. Once again I’m impressed at your resourcefullness to gather raw ingredients. You’ve got it all covered man. :cool:

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Don’t want to derail your thread but I found these on my outdoor fun this year. Should be some colorful flowers.

I live 6ft below sea level and my soil has been gardened for years. 1 handfuls will net at least 3 worms.
I only water until roots are developed then I can literally go the whole summer with ZERO water. And they ask for nothing. I give bi weekly tea for piece of mind but some of my best OD has come with months of zero water.

85B1444A D86A 4F2F AFD1 03605F33B047
K

kansabis

Don’t want to derail your thread but I found these on my outdoor fun this year. Should be some colorful flowers.

I live 6ft below sea level and my soil has been gardened for years. 1 handfuls will net at least 3 worms.
I only water until roots are developed then I can literally go the whole summer with ZERO water. And they ask for nothing. I give bi weekly tea for piece of mind but some of my best OD has come with months of zero water.
Well aren't you just special! Hahaha,must be damn nice,jealous for sure.

justiceman

justiceman

That pistil color.... Oh man I want to see how that one turns out :shockedninja: No worries on the derail at all :D. I’m more than happy to have conversation in this thread about all things outdoor. That sounds like some very high quality land. I’m very jealous that you only have to water to establish roots. My area is dry like a desert. I have to line my beds with a soaker hose set on a timer. Your grow is another great example that when the soil biology is diverse and the organic material is there not much else is needed besides plain old water.
Well aren't you just special! Hahaha,must be damn nice,jealous for sure.
Right?! I too have jealousy lol

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

That pistil color.... Oh man I want to see how that one turns out :shockedninja: No worries on the derail at all :D. I’m more than happy to have conversation in this thread about all things outdoor. That sounds like some very high quality land. I’m very jealous that you only have to water to establish roots. My area is dry like a desert. I have to line my beds with a soaker hose set on a timer. Your grow is another great example that when the soil biology is diverse and the organic material is there not much else is needed besides plain old water.

Right?! I too have jealousy lol
Exactly. I learned by accident. Haha. I always used big pots outside but when I finally got a real backyard I decided to do some in ground. I knew the Seoul was very rich but did think about the fact I’m 6’ below sea level (bay area). As a test I let one go last year until it told me it needed water. Last time I watered was early July and I harvested late October one of the best outdoor to date. Hahah.

justiceman

justiceman

Hahaha. I always tell people “I didn’t grow that plant. It just grew. Haha”.
I could let her go to harvest with no water! I’ll do tea every couple of weeks to keep the soil thriving but it isn’t needed. Haha
Looking good! Already pretty big too I bet that one is gonna be sizable come harvest time.

I feel thats one of the main differences between organics and hydroponics. When I’m inside with coco I grow the plant but when I’m outside with soil it just does everything for me ;)

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Looking good! Already pretty big too I bet that one is gonna be sizable come harvest time.

I feel thats one of the main differences between organics and hydroponics. When I’m inside with coco I grow the plant but when I’m outside with soil it just does everything for me ;)
100% agree. Indoor is where the bread is buttered but every summer I grow a couple monsters outside and it’s more for pleasure than anything. Minimal maintenance and I get to just watch them grow and show their full potential.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hahaha! I bet turning all those piles has got to be a workout for sure. Even turning my beds is a nice one. I am cracking up about the leaves story lmao. Once again I’m impressed at your resourcefullness to gather raw ingredients. You’ve got it all covered man. :cool:
right hahahah im a cheap bastard on a really low fixed income lol,im gonna start hunting down some pine neddles and try to ferment them see if fermentation works as well for dropping ph levels,fermented it will be avaible quicker for uptake im thinking ,worth a shot

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

All I'm saying is I observed my own plants becoming stressed from transplanting (according to your definition, upplanting). Their leaves droop and growth stalls for a time. This is only an observation of my own plants and I have done my best to minimise stress. I limit handling and air contacting the roots and I plant in moist quality soil. Again, this is just my opinion based on personal observations and bit of studying (I lean heavily on the Cannabis Encyclopedia but I am far from done reading through the book due to recent eyesight problems). I am a novice to growing cannabis so I have much still to learn. I do appreciate your input and I am open to correction when I'm wrong. That's why I try to make it clear these are only my opinions so no one takes them as absolute facts.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Shade cloth has done very well for me. Not just for protection from the sun but also from hail in my area during harvest season. I've seen side by side (plants only feet from each other in the sun & shade) even on only moderately warm days, ie upper 80's.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Hahaha. I always tell people “I didn’t grow that plant. It just grew. Haha”.
I could let her go to harvest with no water! I’ll do tea every couple of weeks to keep the soil thriving but it isn’t needed. Haha

She's pretty. That's cool about not having to water. It's far too arid where I live to do that. I'm envious of you guys with that fantastic morning fog (I hated it when I used to house paint in Vacaville, lol).

I love visiting the botanical gardens in Ft Bragg and checking out the orchids. Even their front yards are filled with them. All due to that amazing coastal fog.

I'm the opposite. Outdoor is my primary and indoor is mostly for personal. I'm in the Sierra foothills and they looove being outside here. I'm still learning indoor and have to start a new set now that all of my tent grown went outside. It's been quite the learning experience. Way different than outdoor.

20180628 150326

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

All I'm saying is I observed my own plants becoming stressed from transplanting (according to your definition, upplanting). Their leaves droop and growth stalls for a time. This is only an observation of my own plants and I have done my best to minimise stress. I limit handling and air contacting the roots and I plant in moist quality soil. Again, this is just my opinion based on personal observations and bit of studying (I lean heavily on the Cannabis Encyclopedia but I am far from done reading through the book due to recent eyesight problems). I am a novice to growing cannabis so I have much still to learn. I do appreciate your input and I am open to correction when I'm wrong. That's why I try to make it clear these are only my opinions so no one takes them as absolute facts.
Ya I got ya brotha I didn’t mean to come across as trying to correct ya. There is no doubt that the less you handle the roots the better for sure. And things can definitely happen to stress them. I think I more meant if there isn’t hiccups for the most part uppotting shouldn’t hurt. Now ripping a plant out of a big bed or the ground is definitely gonna slow them down a few days and will be noticeable stress.

justiceman

justiceman

I love how we can have a civil conversation together with various view points. It’s great to have you guys around here :)

—————————

So last night I put them to bed with a lantern to light my path. This morning I took a few pictures and now things are going to get interesting :cool:. After they get a bit more established I'll lay some soaker hose down. Can't wait!

The 4x8 has Farm Cheese on the left and Outlaw on the right

The 2x8 has Afgooey on the left and Blueberry Bubblegum #2 on the right

Afgooey

CADBEA08 175E 4BDA B907 3C11F9B435E2

Blueberry Bubblegum #2
DBE2E2B1 027F 44AD A8A9 81F3D70B2629

Farm Cheese

CEA13E06 CB54 4C6A 95B4 226BF60E3DF0

Outlaw

9BE78C76 BC80 461A BD8D 6920E294E0F6

Family
5DA6D724 5C85 4C58 ACDF F68934C4725B