Blood And Bones: Outdoor 2018

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Hahahaha man that would be a hassle putting all that in water first! Ya the per gal is if anyone wanted to do a smaller mix but it’s easier to just do the optional measurements at per cubic ft.
Very nice ingredients and yes kelp is some pricey stuff. I have some azomite I thought about throwing in actually. We shall see.

I did have to add a little bit of soil and earthworm castings to the beds but not very much. I think it’s just a fact of life that the soil will break down and get a bit more compact each year. I like to let natural vegitation grow in my beds while not in use as the root structures help to keep the soil from compacting. I too have noticed peat moss tends to break down pretty fast. I like to look for soils that have some aged forest humus and/or composts with aged bark in them. Bark pieces take quite some time to break down and help with compaction prevention.

I don’t have any barrirs underneath but the topsoil around my area is very hard and dry so I don’t have to worry about them. Man would I be unhappy if one came out of my bed!

All you have to do concerning moles is stand around with a wood mallet and whack them in the head when they pop up. :D JK btw

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Good grow karma on your outside endeavors. If you live in a area with mild winters you can use cold frames and cover cropping when your shut down for the winter and your soil with be teaming with life come spring.

Legumes are a great cover crop. Any variety will suffice.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Good grow karma on your outside endeavors. If you live in a area with mild winters you can use cold frames and cover cropping when your shut down for the winter and your soil with be teaming with life come spring.

Legumes are a great cover crop. Any variety will suffice.
they are great N fixers and then having a active root zone will keep your herd purring along

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I should give legumes a try this winter. I remember reading about how they pull N out of the air and fix it into the soil. It's pretty damn cool and thank you for the tip. :smoking:
No worries man. The added bonus aside from N fixing is because you keep an active root zone going all the micro herd benefits as well with all sorts of goodies from the exudates from the rhizosphere.

SinCity

SinCity

right hahahah im a cheap bastard on a really low fixed income lol,im gonna start hunting down some pine neddles and try to ferment them see if fermentation works as well for dropping ph levels,fermented it will be avaible quicker for uptake im thinking ,worth a shot

First let me say that my entire soul floods with love for the people on this site and for what you are doing...so much kindness and generosity. It's fucking beautiful.

I never tire of reading about and learning from other peoples' grows. Would love peoples' thoughts on this rambling geeky post...

oldskol4evr--Reading about your particular constraints and all the work you put in to make it work on a fixed income compels me to hazard a suggestion: composting materials from horse stables’ manure piles. Anyone please weigh in!

Although I do not use this mulch on my own beds, I am a relentless reader of all sorts of research. I am also a horse owner so I know first hand what goes into manure piles at horse stables. Each day, an individual horse’s stall is emptied of waste materials consisting of manure and urine, hay, and stall bedding. Stall bedding is, except in rare cases, either wood shavings (untreated pine pulp), sawdust, or straw. So you can see why I suggest composting materials from stables. Horse manure piles are one of the most extensively studied by biochemists and agriculture scientists because they start as the right mix of woody/fibrous material and manure. You can look to any university or governmental agricultural extension for confirmation and/or further detail.

Extensive analysis has been done on the particulars of optimal composting of a wide span of differing percentages of manure, hay, and bedding. So much analysis has been done on composting these waste materials that OG content, C:N ratios, pH, N, P, K, mineral salts and micronute levels are all well studied. So the work has in large part been done for you. Find any horse stable and they will be thrilled to have you take as many yards as you want as often as you want. They will generally just point you to the pile and be just fine with you coming and going whenever you wish. You will want to take the freshest material home to compost, because this will have the optimal starting C:N ratio, OG and moisture content, and because it will have the lowest levels of pathogens. You can mulch with routinely turned and wetted compost as soon as three months.

The mixture of manure, hay, and type of bedding is key of course. Wood shavings and straw are best. Sawdust is too fine for adequate porosity. The wood shavings and straw of course increase the amount of carbon that has to be broken down, so you will have to add a nitrogen source—fresh grass clippings or dried leaves so conveniently left all bagged up for you on curbsides are perfect. pH levels of the compost materials themselves will stay pretty much where you want them.

I particularly liked reading that someone else is a fan of letting whatever vegetation that volunteers take over the beds during the off-season. I agree that the root structures stabilize the soil--and I bet you agree that it also keeps a healthy rhizosphere in the beds. Plus the higher the diversity of species is across the site, the higher the diversity and rigor of predator-prey food chains. High biodiversity also makes ecosystems less susceptible to the spread of disease. Sorry to geek out…

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

First let me say that my entire soul floods with love for the people on this site and for what you are doing...so much kindness and generosity. It's fucking beautiful.

I never tire of reading about and learning from other peoples' grows. Would love peoples' thoughts on this rambling geeky post...

oldskol4evr--Reading about your particular constraints and all the work you put in to make it work on a fixed income compels me to hazard a suggestion: composting materials from horse stables’ manure piles. Anyone please weigh in!

Although I do not use this mulch on my own beds, I am a relentless reader of all sorts of research. I am also a horse owner so I know first hand what goes into manure piles at horse stables. Each day, an individual horse’s stall is emptied of waste materials consisting of manure and urine, hay, and stall bedding. Stall bedding is, except in rare cases, either wood shavings (untreated pine pulp), sawdust, or straw. So you can see why I suggest composting materials from stables. Horse manure piles are one of the most extensively studied by biochemists and agriculture scientists because they start as the right mix of woody/fibrous material and manure. You can look to any university or governmental agricultural extension for confirmation and/or further detail.

Extensive analysis has been done on the particulars of optimal composting of a wide span of differing percentages of manure, hay, and bedding. So much analysis has been done on composting these waste materials that OG content, C:N ratios, pH, N, P, K, mineral salts and micronute levels are all well studied. So the work has in large part been done for you. Find any horse stable and they will be thrilled to have you take as many yards as you want as often as you want. They will generally just point you to the pile and be just fine with you coming and going whenever you wish. You will want to take the freshest material home to compost, because this will have the optimal starting C:N ratio, OG and moisture content, and because it will have the lowest levels of pathogens. You can mulch with routinely turned and wetted compost as soon as three months.

The mixture of manure, hay, and type of bedding is key of course. Wood shavings and straw are best. Sawdust is too fine for adequate porosity. The wood shavings and straw of course increase the amount of carbon that has to be broken down, so you will have to add a nitrogen source—fresh grass clippings or dried leaves so conveniently left all bagged up for you on curbsides are perfect. pH levels of the compost materials themselves will stay pretty much where you want them.

I particularly liked reading that someone else is a fan of letting whatever vegetation that volunteers take over the beds during the off-season. I agree that the root structures stabilize the soil--and I bet you agree that it also keeps a healthy rhizosphere in the beds. Plus the higher the diversity of species is across the site, the higher the diversity and rigor of predator-prey food chains. High biodiversity also makes ecosystems less susceptible to the spread of disease. Sorry to geek out…
yes ,i have a compost pile of manures leaves and alfalfa,wheat bran and sugar beet with molasses,manure is chicken,cow and horse manures,hadnt been able to source goat shit as of yet,have a familt down the way that raise them,but keep the gate to property locked at all times,cant seem to just meet them as they go to town or such,my plan with that pile is bokashi,i also mix a bit of EM1 when i stir the pile up,started turning every 2 days for a month,now i stir it once week,breaking down great,i have a lot of garden to cover and was wanting to start vermicomposting down middle or sides of my beds,so a lot to make,we dont have any food scraps,i was raised to eat what on your plate hahah,but im using every thing i can,hey call it recycling,i just started some BIOL,started it last week,it will be a great IPM for my garden,couldnt source all the same ingrediants they use so adapt and overcome,lots of peppers,garlic ,onions,worm wood ,tomato plant,pall mall reds for tabacco,mountain microbes i used is EM1 and k-amino,such things as these and more hahah,buckets fermenting all over the place,lmao

justiceman

justiceman

i'm reading over this thread just now and realizing alot of what i'm saying has been said...sorry to repeat or disrespect
None whatsoever! Even if things were stated before a repeat/review is always good to have. I enjoyed reading your post about the C:N ratios on horse manure from stables. Just another sweet morsel of info to soak up. Makes sense that it would be perfect for a compost pile since the hay gets thrown out with it. Big fan of chicken manure too. That’s what I put in my beds when I initially filled them.
yes ,i have a compost pile of manures leaves and alfalfa,wheat bran and sugar beet with molasses,manure is chicken,cow and horse manures,hadnt been able to source goat shit as of yet,have a familt down the way that raise them,but keep the gate to property locked at all times,cant seem to just meet them as they go to town or such,my plan with that pile is bokashi,i also mix a bit of EM1 when i stir the pile up,started turning every 2 days for a month,now i stir it once week,breaking down great,i have a lot of garden to cover and was wanting to start vermicomposting down middle or sides of my beds,so a lot to make,we dont have any food scraps,i was raised to eat what on your plate hahah,but im using every thing i can,hey call it recycling,i just started some BIOL,started it last week,it will be a great IPM for my garden,couldnt source all the same ingrediants they use so adapt and overcome,lots of peppers,garlic ,onions,worm wood ,tomato plant,pall mall reds for tabacco,mountain microbes i used is EM1 and k-amino,such things as these and more hahah,buckets fermenting all over the place,lmao
Buckets fermenting all over:drunk: hahahaha! I love it.

SinCity

SinCity

None whatsoever! Even if things were stated before a repeat/review is always good to have. I enjoyed reading your post about the C:N ratios on horse manure from stables. Just another sweet morsel of info to soak up. Makes sense that it would be perfect for a compost pile since the hay gets thrown out with it. Big fan of chicken manure too. That’s what I put in my beds when I initially filled them.

thanks man...

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

2 compost piles about the size of a pickup ,2 5al buckets fermenting and 7 jars of OHN fermenting,ya mama smells shit hahahahah

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I’m on the lookout for sure :shockedninja: Definitely interested to see how the farmcheese goes this round. It's super vigorous compared to the others and like you said it so far it seems to have the structure to provide light to most of the flowers all the way through.

——————————————-

Greetings everyone. Hope the day is treating you well.

Alright I finally got around to caging them up;) Even if I end up not needing the cages better safe than sorry. In the past I have gotten winds sometimes that have blown branches over onto the ground and these cages have saved me headaches. Everyone is starting to get decent branching going on so I think I will top at least the Farm Cheese in the next few days and the others following depending on how their structures turn out. Soon I will also grab a couple short soaker hoses, and a watering timer. I'd also like to give these ladies a few compost teas throughout the season to make sure those nutrients keep getting cycled. Found my 60l/min water pump so I just need to go get some more EWC or another quality compost, and dig out a good bucket to brew in.

Fam Shot
View attachment 815680

Blueberry Bubblegum #2 View attachment 815681

Afgooey View attachment 815682

Farm Cheese View attachment 815684

Outlaw View attachment 815685

Wow, really starting to take off. I bet they're gonna get big. Going to split the Cheese early? I understand, but if you had more time she'd make a great tree.

All you have to do concerning moles is stand around with a wood mallet and whack them in the head when they pop up. :D JK btw

Pwaaahaaaahaha!!!

...& @SinCity

I absolutely agree on the goat crap. When I was a kid I had an Alpine/Nubian nanny. Never used her droppings for weed but her pen looked like a putting green and wherever we tied her would turn green within a month. I don't think goat sh*t is as hot as cow or horse. I remember one of my friends who raised them for 4H said something about it having better enzymes that break it down more quickly, though I can't say whether this is a fact or not. I do remember there was something about natural enzymes that made the raw goat milk safer to drink than raw cow milk and that's why I tend to believe what my friend said.

Cheers on successfully growing on a fixed income. I'm there with ya. Takes some real creativity to hustle up materials and cash for a grow.

justiceman

justiceman

Wow, really starting to take off. I bet they're gonna get big. Going to split the Cheese early? I understand, but if you had more time she'd make a great tree.
I'm happy they are going pretty good now, but I'm really impressed with the vigor of the farm Cheese. It's probably at least a 1/3rd larger and more developed than the rest. Ya man I've been torn. I have not topped it yet because it looks like it might turn into such a strong shape and seems like a shame. Maybe I'll just leave her alone we'll see ;)

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I'm happy they are going pretty good now, but I'm really impressed with the vigor of the farm Cheese. It's probably at least a 1/3rd larger and more developed than the rest. Ya man I've been torn. I have not topped it yet because it looks like it might turn into such a strong shape and seems like a shame. Maybe I'll just leave her alone we'll see ;)
it is a pretty plant,if i did anything ,it would probally be side branching

justiceman

justiceman

What's up everyone :smoking:

Here's a little midweek update on the ladies. They are doing well and everything is running smoothly. Not many pests to speak of so far so that's nice. Still need to go pick up some soaker hose but not in a rush to do so. I'm very happy to see they are loving the amendments I added this season :D

Afgooey
The shortest of the 4. This one is by far the most compact with nice wide leaves. Definitely showing extreme indica characteristics as it should.
CC4EC3B4 FC94 4878 A7A3 37597724CCDD

Blueberry Bubblegum #2
Although fairly short I'm loving how thick and bushy this one is getting.
05C29112 E2A2 40B2 B9E0 B9FD30A985D8

Farm Cheese
This one is growing crazy fast compared to the rest. Up up and away we go. It's already above the 3rd ring on the cage.
57D92325 AC8B 4836 AAD8 AA2642D1CAAB

Outlaw
Probably the 2nd tallest. Still not seeing massive amount of sativa characteristics from this. Seems like the average hybrid, but it's still small so I suppose time will tell, and so will the smoke.
494A7ED4 0661 4563 AEAC B2E31B53C93D

Top Bottom