Blue Steel

• Thread starter dat130ysmurf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dat130ysmurf

dat130ysmurf

20171015 105558

Group shot of the girls before they get clones cut from them.

Bank Breaker

Bank Breaker

I found all my blue steel gave a nice stretch during flip, and nugs didn't really stack until near the end of cycle. Frost development was top notch though.. definitely saw trichome production during early veg, and 1 week into the flip, pistils showed and was fairly light feeders..

Bank Breaker

Bank Breaker

I just finished Labyrinth and into jars yesterday!
This was the day before chop. Lower down nug shot.
All organic soil nothing but water - FTW.

View attachment 764772
i admire ppl who go the organic route. i took a shot at it and realized it was A LOT of extra work and there was a TON of dialing in to do to maximize yields. not to mention it was just as expensive if you wanna mix your own super soil.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

i admire ppl who go the organic route. i took a shot at it and realized it was A LOT of extra work and there was a TON of dialing in to do to maximize yields. not to mention it was just as expensive if you wanna mix your own super soil.

I think I spent .... nothing on soil the last 4 rounds. I mix my own, make our own compost, get amendments and CSPM (peat moss) locally or cheap from Amazon... can even get a kit of amendments from BAS or KIS ... "Coots" style is what I use.

That's the thing... less work WAY less money and its 100% recyclable. I have an automated watering system so all I gotta do is check the reservoir and add in RO water 1x a week turn on the faucet. I could automate that as well... and do IPM (pest management) foiler 1x a week.

So my output coinage wise is cost of electric and a little water. Running COB led so same amount of light as 3K watts of HID but only 1200w total draw. For a 60 day cycle thats about $300 on electric and water... total $$... of course I make up for that buying seeds.... grrrrrrrrr

Here's 2 other plants I have going ... these are landrace sativa - Devils Tit from SnowHigh - they are 8' tall - tied down and have grown up past the lights. All organic soil nothing but water. Will run 90 days. Last round yield for 3 plants was 1.5#s dried and trimmed.
The Lab I just took down was 4.2 zips dried/trimmed.

This pic is above head high in my flower room - all plants no matter the genetics (well as long as there's a little sativa in there will grow to the lights or past @7').

DSC 0026 copy

Here's the LAB - she's in the back with colas.. front ladies are still stretching - today front plants are into the lights - had to tie them up this morning. This pic was taken by me standing back so head high.

DSC 0005 copy

Bank Breaker

Bank Breaker

do you have any issues with bugs indoors with mixing your own compost??

I've LIGHTLY touched organics.. and have plans in the future to go back to it.. only with farmers pride as my main organics factor.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

do you have any issues with bugs indoors with mixing your own compost??

I've LIGHTLY touched organics.. and have plans in the future to go back to it.. only with farmers pride as my main organics factor.

Thats kinda 2 separate questions.

Do I get bugs - yes everyone does.

Do I get bugs from the compost .... no the bugs in the compost all die off when the food source is consumed. We run 2 Vermicompost bins. 1 year we fill one and harvest the other one for the compost. Then switch about now and start filling the now empty bin.

Also the bugs that eat compost are not the same bugs that infest live plants. Kinda counter intuitive but its true. Our compost bins in the summer time... woah... I don't look around in there too much I get scared!

Only bugs we get are the 2 spotted spider mite fcks... why we do an IPM every week.
Run fans down around the soil line in addition to canopy fans - bugs hate wind.. but still have to IPM and keep things relatively clean.

PM/mold is more of a problem - why I use horsetail fern tea mixed in with my IPM starting in VEG. Haven't had any mold since starting that. The Exotic gear always has a shit ton of sticky resin trichomes which is a perfect host for mold to get started. I'm on the east coast and it's humid and mold spores are everywhere, thats the beginning of fall, garden plants all die of PM at the end of the season. So spores everywhere.

Bank Breaker

Bank Breaker

Thats kinda 2 separate questions.

Do I get bugs - yes everyone does.

Do I get bugs from the compost .... no the bugs in the compost all die off when the food source is consumed. We run 2 Vermicompost bins. 1 year we fill one and harvest the other one for the compost. Then switch about now and start filling the now empty bin.

Also the bugs that eat compost are not the same bugs that infest live plants. Kinda counter intuitive but its true. Our compost bins in the summer time... woah... I don't look around in there too much I get scared!

Only bugs we get are the 2 spotted spider mite fcks... why we do an IPM every week.
Run fans down around the soil line in addition to canopy fans - bugs hate wind.. but still have to IPM and keep things relatively clean.

PM/mold is more of a problem - why I use horsetail fern tea mixed in with my IPM starting in VEG. Haven't had any mold since starting that. The Exotic gear always has a shit ton of sticky resin trichomes which is a perfect host for mold to get started. I'm on the east coast and it's humid and mold spores are everywhere, thats the beginning of fall, garden plants all die of PM at the end of the season. So spores everywhere.
Thanks for the detailed input. I was in a hurry earlier so i couldn't post my whole message.

But thats what I mean. I don't have room for a bin, nor do I want to make room for one because of those hot summer days :P
And if I was to go the organic route, I'd like to have more nutrient availability just because that's my style. The process of having to let my super soil mix sit and cook for several weeks is a huge turn off for me because of how inexperienced I am with organics or even outdoor gardening in general, I just wouldn't know if it's 'working' or cooked enough. I found my method of organics was rather expensive because of what I wanted to mix.. i.e kelp meal, crab meal and other composts. My fault for not having the room for a bin in my yard :P

My light approach on a touch of organics was solely for taste/aroma/quality.
I did a 1/3 promix/emc/perlite mix with GAIA GREEN All purpose 4-4-4 and just reduced my nutrient feeding schedule to 1/4 strength and ran through with it. Plants didn't go through any signs of cal/mag def or nitrogen deficiency during flip so my first goal was met. My root system definitely looked thicker and bulkier. I can't say I noticed anything from taste/aroma/quality. If anything I'd say it was a step backwards because of how much less I actually yielded. Everything in general was just slower. And because of how much I lost during yield, maybe it mind-fucked me into thinking there was less taste and smell.

If I ever take another try at organics, it'd definitely have to be in COCO using farmers pride line and spend the extra $$$ on Mammoth P to maximize my yields.

Farmer's pride has the majority of my answers and seems to be the best bang for my buck.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

Compost bins aren't smelly and the bugs stay where the food source is. Well worth it plus you aren't filling up a landfill with green materials.

RE: Yields - I haven't seen anyone growing with nutrients come close to my yields indoors.

Quality is there as well. Cost is WAY less, sustainable and good for environment.

You soil mix needs more than Gia Green ... actually not GG, check out BAS or KIS website and look up "coots" mix - that's how I do it.

The key is the compost portion and why we make our own. You can purchase compost locally at your local Nursery if you not inclined to make your own. It's an investment in time and environment.

We've been gardening organically since we were kids so 50 years or so... so growing indoors in containers organically wasn't much of a leap. Although with all the marketing around bottle nutrients you'd think it would be impossible to do it without chemicals.

My biggest observation about indoor cannabis growing that you never really hear much about is I feel most everyone is under-watering plants in flower. My plants have unlimited water supply and can use whatever they want.. I've been watching how much water they use. It's a lot about a gallon every day per plant in flower, maybe even a little more.

For mycos I use Mykes brand... that was the company that started mycos about 30 years or so ago... A lot cheaper Mammoth P ... same result. I'm sure that stuff is good... label says 97% water and 2% alfalfa extract... the other 1% is the microbes. Can make my own tea with more microbes with a cup of EWC and a handful of alfalfa meal ... but use Kelp Meal instead.

Here's a pic of some of 1 plant harvested dried and trimmed.

DSC 0054 4

Bank Breaker

Bank Breaker

why do you figure Gaia Green wasn't enough. looking at the label, i thought it had plenty of rock dust and other minerals as well as kelp meal included. i bought the small container (500ml??) and pretty much dumped it between 3 5 gallon buckets.

but coot's mix and my 1/3 promix/emc/perlite isn't too far off in terms of aeration.

i honestly think my mistake was trying to mix some of my mineral nutes in with the program. i did it because i didn't want to underfeed. but i should have fed with organic nutes as well if my goal was to get that full taste in difference.. can't go partial half and half like i did.

but yea.. farmers pride gonna have my back i have a good feeling about them lol.

Bank Breaker

Bank Breaker

For mycos I use Mykes brand... that was the company that started mycos about 30 years or so ago... A lot cheaper Mammoth P ... same result. I'm sure that stuff is good... label says 97% water and 2% alfalfa extract... the other 1% is the microbes. Can make my own tea with more microbes with a cup of EWC and a handful of alfalfa meal ... but use Kelp Meal instead.

View attachment 764945
i use Great White atm and honestly.. its incredible. EMC definitely played a huge role in terms of feeding my bacteria. the shelf life on GW is good too. haven't noticed any degrading over the months.. years..

you make me want to make my own tea. can i put a scoop of GW in a bucket of water with an air stone and just let it do its thing? or do i have to give it some EWC to feed on.. or will any carbs do? please guide me :p

Top Bottom