Boiling Roots??

• Thread starter the Rock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
I usually feed mine Coca Cola straight one of last feelings! The high acidity causes a nutrient lock out which causes the plant to draw more water trying find its deficient nutrient thus sucking up all the sugar from the coke giving you a last sugar ingestion for the plant which acts like a bud sweetener like you've never seen! I think the caffeine too the plant absorbs counteracts couch lock
So,
to get that "speedy" herb all you have to do is give the plants:
coffee--
cool...

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I am curious about this as a partner of mine says when plant is pulled to dry, he boils roots for ten minutes than hangs upside down to dry. He claims this works wonders,the stuff I have smoked of his is always killer.
Has anyone ever heard of this or done it.
If your doing lots o plants this would be alot of work.
I have heard of burying hot coals near the root ball before harvesting outdoors. Maybe killing the roots triggers the plant to send terps to the flowers to feed the seed sites bettering chances of survival.

B

Boilem

I suggest those that are seriously interested in learning more about boiling roots do a google search on alcohol fermentation in plants before making uneducated and sly remarks about a technique they have never tried. Clearly stated I was no scientist in previous post, however am stating my beliefs off of personal experience. This is a fun little read here for anyone willing to take the time and do some further research on this concept: http://lifeofplant.blogspot.com/2011/03/glycolysis-and-fermentation.html

urbanfog

urbanfog

learned about this on riddle!

RIP Lummi

OLD POST BUT CAME TO SPREAD KNOWLEDGE!!!

It may sound like torture, but proper method is about 5 days 3-5 prior to harvest water your plants with BOILING water. This doesn't increase thc nor necessarily speed cur BUT IT DOES make for much smoother smoke.

The miss conception is that cutting down ur girls kills them instantly, however this is FALSE. Adding boiling water will kill the ROOTS but only the roots. After adding water, continue 12/12 for 3-5 day, I prefer 5 but don't water anymore. By killing the roots but allow the plant to live it FORCES the plant to use the nutrients in its leaves for survival.

On day 3 of 5 start to trim fan leaves, about 50% on day 3, then 50% of remaining leaves on day for, and finally harvest on 5th day.

There are GREAT threads on this on other sites, but you can find those in your own. The best growers I know use this technique but are far too busy to waste time here.

I challenge anyone to dare test this concept and prove me wrong. If I'm wrong, i will provide free beans to anyone with evidence of there trial.

Tip: goggle boil roots RM3 for more info.

Cabbage72

Cabbage72

Been growing myself for many years, however haven't even been alive for 40. The thing is that those who refer to this as a "myth" don't have any backing to prove at as so other then their opinions. I would greatly love to see evidence rather then just opinion proving this to be a myth. Seems that within different circles and different groups there are different theories about this, yet no one can provide me proof that this is a myth and from my first hand experience with many different techniques I have found this to be one I go back to time and time again.

So to make comments as far as being clueless, especially from someone who I'm guessing has never experienced this so called myth first hand, is pretty arrogant in my opinion. Furthermore I doubt that anyone on this site is a "world class" grower or "cannabis cup" winner etc. I know I by no means am, just like to continue to learn and provide top grade medicine to myself and others. However, I know many breeders that do use the boiling method as well.

Next to comment that boiling water would induce immediate death for the plant truly shows the uneducated mind of a a grower who made the statement above. Do some biological research and you will find that this does NOT instantly kill a plant, but rather only the root system. A plant however can survive a period of time with out a root system, thus the reason cloning is so prevalent in this industry. Educate yourself before making stupid comments such as "instant death" to a plant.

I see why many experienced growers find these forums to be a laughing stock, and am truly starting to regret even joining because of the overall ignorance and lack of educated comments. Anyone with a chemistry, biology, or botany degree who could provide me with PROOF this doesn't work I would be gladly willing to listen too, or even those that could provide a scholarly source proving this as a myth, however speaking out of your ass with no experience in this matter just makes you look like a fool.
Go back to "rollitup" and kiss Rm3's ass some more. Boiling roots , r.o water,flushing give me a goddamn break. I thought we were pulling away from urban legend? Here you go keeping it up. No studies, no scientific proof in the end so s.t.f.u

Last edited:
Cabbage72

Cabbage72

OLD POST BUT CAME TO SPREAD KNOWLEDGE!!!

It may sound like torture, but proper method is about 5 days 3-5 prior to harvest water your plants with BOILING water. This doesn't increase thc nor necessarily speed cur BUT IT DOES make for much smoother smoke.

The miss conception is that cutting down ur girls kills them instantly, however this is FALSE. Adding boiling water will kill the ROOTS but only the roots. After adding water, continue 12/12 for 3-5 day, I prefer 5 but don't water anymore. By killing the roots but allow the plant to live it FORCES the plant to use the nutrients in its leaves for survival.

On day 3 of 5 start to trim fan leaves, about 50% on day 3, then 50% of remaining leaves on day for, and finally harvest on 5th day.

There are GREAT threads on this on other sites, but you can find those in your own. The best growers I know use this technique but are far too busy to waste time here.

I challenge anyone to dare test this concept and prove me wrong. If I'm wrong, i will provide free beans to anyone with evidence of there trial.

Tip: goggle boil roots RM3 for more info.
You should go back to rollitup also and kiss RM3's ass some more. Boilem is leaving also

B

Boilem

You should go back to rollitup also and kiss RM3's ass some more. Boilem is leaving also

Funny thing is your too stupid to realize that both your post are replies to mine, thus this equals 1 person so idk who else your talking about. Have you ever tried this? I'm assuming not. Do your research before you jump to conclusions. RM3 does grow great quality bud, but he's not the first nor only person to do this. Funny that I did this before I every joined RIU or this site. Urban legend? What makes you Mr Right? You got some growing recognition? You have quality strains of your own? You have any awards? Whats makes your style better then anyone else's?

So what's your "ideal" preparation for harvest if you're such an amazing grower? Let me guess lights out? Let the soil dry? What's the magic charm "Mr. ALMIGHTY GROWER" please teach me your ways!?!? LMFAO! This has nothing to even do with RM3 just simply posted my experience. I suppose your plants stink while they grow too huh? Wasting money are carbon filters? Well I have learned great tips over the years, am growing the best buds I ever have, and have extra money for beans rather then useless crap. Just saying...

B

Boilem

Oh yeah and I forgot, unlike most growers that fall into a rut with their grows, I still am willing to have sacrificial plants to experiment with. So IF you really have a technique that you swear by I'd be glad to try it. Unfortunately too many growers grow for the wrong reasons and are more concerned about making that dollar and don't care what their finish product really is, it's ALL about YIELDS. So please give me some pointers I haven't heard and I'll be glad to give it a test run. Hell I got 18 plants in ver right night that from the day they germmed were automatically deemed test plants for new ideas people have given me. So speak that "ALMIGHTY" growing tip if your so full of yourself.

S

Scott1963

In more than 15 years of growing I have never heard of anybody doing this. Not sure what that could possibly do for the final product. Why does he say he does this????? Im very curious??????????????
I have tried it both ways an prefer to dry the roots separately using then to help with pain in my shoulder and back i either make a tea or turn it to a paste. And apply it the history of the cannabis root is a great book to read about the medicinal properties which for me wirk great as far as imprivung my pot ehh

M

morantes

I am curious about this as a partner of mine says when plant is pulled to dry, he boils roots for ten minutes than hangs upside down to dry. He claims this works wonders,the stuff I have smoked of his is always killer.
Friend of mine actual farmer with long history of growing mentioned boilin* the roots or damaging them prior to harvest (sorry no hanging upside down) mentioned that it schockd the plan5 and as a result goes into major reproduction mode an$ that increases 5he THC production. havent tried it but will very reliable source

BudBogart

BudBogart

Not speaking to the validity of root boiling, never tried it, but I first heard about it boiling cannabis roots 40 years ago. Seems like it would be standard practice by now if it had an effect.

brazel

brazel

That's rad!

M

morantes

Nuglover is correct no Thc in the roots, though the Cannabis plant does respond to stress and attack by making THC and other cannabanoids. The plant might be reacting and channeling all its last energies to repel such attack.

I was thinking too about experimenting by juicing root matter and refining it to see if any hormones, sugars or beneficial growth compounds can be used on the next crop.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

IT USTA BE I JUST COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW STUPID PEOPLE COULB BE, THEN trump GOT ELECTEC AND I SAW THIS THREAD... REWALLY PEOPLE YU DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE YOR STUPIDER THAN DOGS AND MONKEES SHOULD BE PRESIDENT SHAME SHAME SHAME AND THEN MORE SHAME FOLLWEED BY EATING MONKEY SHIRT

Everyone is "stupider" than you. Lol

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Cannabis roots have been used for a thousand years or more not for smoking but for medicinal purposes making salves and poultices and such. There is almost no thc in the roots and boiling roots other than for medicinal preparations is poppycock and a waste of time. See links for utilizing cannabis roots for medicine.

Word of caution if you decide to not waste any of your plant and decide to research making medicine with your rootz be sure to follow proven recipes and dosages as there are alkaloids in the root structure and it can be toxic in high doses.

The alkaloids piperidine and pyrrolidine have both been found in the roots, as well as in the stems, seeds, pollen and leaves; these alkaloids can be highly toxic in high doses, So I don’t recommend consuming large doses, such as in a tea form.Go easy for topicals it contains enough CBD to be effective for salves and poultices. But there are a lot of ways to use your rootzzz dont let them go to waste. Or if not into that chuck em in the compost then its full circle

Recent studies have demonstrated that marijuana roots also contain cannabinoids, especially CBD, which makes them yet another part of the plant apt for medicinal applications. It has been used in Chinese medicine for almost 4,000 years; since the systematic architect of traditional medicine there, Emperor Shen Nung, included its use in his famous medicine book Pent Sao, one of the oldest medical documents in history.

So in closing , again boiling cannabis roots to increase potency is a BS myth. But using roots for medicine is a well known practice and fact. See links below to continue your journey of wasting nothing of our beloved plant.

https://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/getting-roots-cannabis/
https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-the-medical-potential-and-history-of-cannabis-roots-n565
https://cannabis.net/blog/recipes/dont-throw-out-your-cannabis-roots-just-yet

https://realfarmacy.com/medicinal-cannabis-root/
https://www.dinafem.org/en/blog/remedies-you-can-create-medicinal-marijuana/
https://highboldtage.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/cannabis-roots-for-medicinal-use/

Last edited:
S

stellarjay

Here is my experience. And to be clear, this is not what I think or what I believe, this is what I know. I know this because I have duplicated this process since the original experience. The original experience occurred totally and completely by accident and I convinced myself, rather foolishly as it turns out, that I had fucked up royally. Yet, the end result taught me a great lesson.

I had seven clones of the same plant growing in separate four gallon reservoir containers. Water was wicked up into the soil from the reservoir at the bottom of these containers. These plants were outdoors their entire lives. Four of the plants were harvested when they were ready and the other three had to be harvested later.

After the first four were harvested the last three plants were subjected to 3 days of pretty much continuous rain and then a couple days of further sitting in overcast skies before I could get back to them. The water level in all containers was leveled off at the top of the containers. I was quite distressed, yet all I could do was harvest them and hope for the best.

Fast forward 3 months... the difference in the smoke between the two harvests was quite noticeable. Not so much in the high, but in the smoke itself. The smoke from the first four plants was a bit harsh. The smoke from the last three plants was as smooth as I have ever experienced. I had numerous people experience the same thing. The last three plants became known as "the smooth smoke" and was requested as such. Now "smooth smoke" is the only smoke.

I have intentionally reproduced this "drowning" of the roots since that first episode and have achieved the same results with many different varieties. As it turns out, I later stumbled across rm3 and his technique of "drowning" plants and his explanation of why he did so made sense to me. I don't have scientific info to back up what i do, and I don't need it. In this case experience came first and the explanation followed.

What I remember learning about the boiling water technique is that you don't place the entire rootball into boiling water. In my example above, with the 4 gallon containers, I would only have to add one gallon of boiling water to kill the roots. So 1/4 the pot size of boiling water is supposed to equate to what I stumbled across by drowning. I've never tried the boiling water technique as the way I do it seems to be more akin to how it might happen in nature, but I can see where the results would be similar because the roots are ultimately being hindered from performing their function. Seems many folks know this to be true... from experience.

brazel

brazel

@stellarjay I know You said no scientific data but do you have any thoughts on why that is?

And if you enjoi do it!

I couldn't try that cause I run no till but at the same I can't see anything beneficial. Couldn't you just cut the plant and get the same effect? I'm my thoughts if you boil the roots or drown them the you're basically shutting them off just like chopping would do.

And also if I was to boil I'd go your route over pulling the plant out then boiling the roots, that makes absolutely no since!

I had a guy wanna fight me at a bar cause he was telling people you hang a plant upside down so the THC can drain into the buds!
I just said what... but then I couldn't quit laughing!

I mean I've thought some dumb shit, don't get me wrong but to grow and not know where the THC comes from is a whole nother level of dumb

Top Bottom