• Total voters
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

heres the results from the study???
Screenshot 20161024 123945

Screenshot 20161024 124025

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

You know @Papa Indica I'm glad you mentioned that. Meaning they mess up the flavor. Maybe some others will chime in on this. I had an argument last year with a dude here and cannot remember who, and the basis of my complaint was that I felt the Boveda packs were taking on the terpene profiles and not allowing them to pass thru the membrane back into my nugs. My theory is since the pack is a type of hybrid RO membrane and the packets are touted as being a 2 way system which means that if there is excess moisture in the bud it passes to the boveda pack and if there isnt enough moisture in the jar it allows the moisture in the pack to pass back to the buds keeping it all at a constant 62% Rh. Well I have noticed that over time all my terps seem to get absorbed into the packet. So when I open the jar the nugz themselves sometimes seem weak in aroma and if you sniff the boveda pack it is awful strong with the terps from the buds.

Ive been meaning to contact Boveda about this. Have you Papa or anyone else noticed this. I tried a side by side and the jars without any packets reek to high hell.
I haven't tried smelling my Bovedas but, I have noticed a difference in smell as well as flavor so, it makes sense that that's where the smell is going I guess.
I haven't tried doing any "official" side by side testing of anything to do with this but, I know damn well they affect the flavor of my weed if they're left in for too long so, I really try to avoid them but, if my buds end up seeming like they're getting a little dry I'll use the Bovedas to bring a little moisture back into them. Kinda like how I used to see people toss a piece of bread in with their weed to bring the moisture level up.
But what the hell do I know about anything? :banghead:

H

hawkman

i use the 62% then seal my jars with a "pump n seal". 9-12 months later the smoke is as potent and a lot smoother than the day it was sealed. i do have to leave the jar open for 12 or so hours so the 'erb is dry enough to roll into joints. i'm thinking of going with the 58% pack after next grow to solve this issue.
It does make it smoother - might for get the packs and not use at all

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I put 1000 bovedas in my tent and it seemed to work well. I put a dehumidifier in my curing jar and that didn't go so well.
Well Duhhhhh ............ your a frikkn trip man.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

Thanks for sharing I've never heard of this I will research any positive or negative effects it might make on my grow.
They're not for your grow, they go into your jars with your weed for curing.

dreamofgreen

dreamofgreen

i use a piece of wax paper to keep the pack from being in direct contact with any of the buds. i think bud that is kept in contact with a pack will pick up a oily flavor. it isn't horrible, but isn't good either.

funny shit that dude thought you were suggesting using in grow room. i can imagine someone spending hundreds of dollars each round to put in several hundred packs to stabilize a rooms environment. or someone getting pissed that they put just one in there tent and it didn't have any affect on the rh.

H

hawkman

i use a piece of wax paper to keep the pack from being in direct contact with any of the buds. i think bud that is kept in contact with a pack will pick up a oily flavor. it isn't horrible, but isn't good either.

funny shit that dude thought you were suggesting using in grow room. i can imagine someone spending hundreds of dollars each round to put in several hundred packs to stabilize a rooms environment. or someone getting pissed that they put just one in there tent and it didn't have any affect on the rh.
This go around no "packs" !> guess cure it the "natural way" !!!!

Amma

Amma

I bought the 62% bags and came here to see what you-alls experiences are. Think I may not use them.
I saw some bags that had had 62% left in them for months last year and there was basically no smell and the pot felt funny, a little crumbly.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

I bought the 62% bags and came here to see what you-alls experiences are. Think I may not use them.
I saw some bags that had had 62% left in them for months last year and there was basically no smell and the pot felt funny, a little crumbly.
I'd never leave them in all the time, when I use them I put them in for a while and then take them back out for a while. Otherwise I find they mess with the flavor too much.
I just use them to make sure my stuff doesn't get dried out.

OldPine

OldPine

I've just copied this over from a post I made elsewhere since it relates...

Related to the two-way membrane possibly poaching terpenes, would it be better to dry further than ideal (below 58%) and then use the Boveda to bring the RH back up? This way, it's primary function is to add moisture rather than remove it. Would this then stop the poaching of smells?

It seems Boveda suggests to dry a little past prime and then use Boveda to raise RH, but they mention this is best practice simply because it's easier to tell when the Boveda has run it's course when the primary function is to add moisture (http://www.bovedainc.com/solutions/herbal/curing-with-boveda/). In this case, the Boveda pack turns into a hard wafer, whereas when it's primary function is to remove moisture, the Boveda swells but never gets hard and it's difficult to know if it needs to be replaced. The website, however, says nothing about the robbing of smells (right, why would they purposefully out themselves if this really is the case!).

I had asked this question of @jumpincactus and he replied saying that it would indeed be a better strategy to have the Bovedas hydrate rather than dehydrate. I agree that it should help to not poach terpenes.

OldPine

OldPine

I have the 58% on order. They were actually supposed to arrive a day or two ago, but no such luck yet. I've generally liked the 62% but found that it's slightly to moist for my preference. I'm excited to try the 58's.

I still haven't decided, though, whether I'll use the 62 or 58 for long term storage after cure. Any thoughts?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter

Related to the two-way membrane possibly poaching terpenes, would it be better to dry further than ideal (below 58%) and then use the Boveda to bring the RH back up? This way, it's primary function is to add moisture rather than remove it. Would this then stop the poaching of smells?

It seems Boveda suggests to dry a little past prime and then use Boveda to raise RH, but they mention this is best practice simply because it's easier to tell when the Boveda has run it's course when the primary function is to add moisture (http://www.bovedainc.com/solutions/herbal/curing-with-boveda/). In this case, the Boveda pack turns into a hard wafer, whereas when it's primary function is to remove moisture, the Boveda swells but never gets hard and it's difficult to know if it needs to be replaced. The website, however, says nothing about the robbing of smells (right, why would they purposefully out themselves if this really is the case!).

I had asked this question of @jumpincactus and he replied saying that it would indeed be a better strategy to have the Bovedas hydrate rather than dehydrate. I agree that it should help to not poach terpenes.
Thanks for the mention old pine, but I need to qualify, I am no chemist or expert, but it makes sense to me. :D

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

My only problem with this theory is that my primary use of the Boveda packs has been for hydrating my buds once they start getting on the drier side and I've still had problems with them if they stay in too long.
I suppose that could be that maybe the packs, after being in long enough, will bring the level up just a little too high and have to bring it back down again and maybe it goes back and forth like that a little before it levels out but, I'm not so sure about that.
That would make sense as far as causing the flavor problems for me but, enough fluctuation to create this problem doesn't really sound terribly feasible. I don't know. :facepalm:

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

i used them for storage, dried and when its stable at 62% ill through in the packs.
a few ago i found 3 jars of ww from 2 plus years ago . i opened one of the jars th check the pack and smoke a nug. the pack was still pliable except with what felt like a small hard crystal 1/8". i put thecontents in a zip and let it sit for a week. heres the picture, it stayed at 62 with no pack.
20161030 095754

smoked like 2 year old weed, tasted like 2 year old weed, but has a decent hit.

OldPine

OldPine

I'm with you Jumpincactus - it makes sense to me too.

Interesting, Papa Indica, that you're already doing what is being discussed here and you still experience the poaching of smells. Maybe you're right that there is an over-hydrating-->dehydrating cycle going on here. In fact, maybe with the 58s we'll see even more smells get absorbed by the packs since it'll take out even more moisture than the 62s...

I'm going to see about a side-by-side

Latest posts

Top Bottom