Brand New Grower Trying To Do It Right

• Thread starter Lebowskii
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Lebowskii

I have a 78x78x78 tent, currently has 12 seedlings in small pots on a table.

I have a 435cfm blowerblower on a 510cfm carbon filter pulling from inside the tent venting out. I wanted to maintain negative pressure to control the smell as much as possible. The blower is plugged in through an analog controller.

I have 2 California light works 550's doing the light work atm.

My temps hover span high 70's to low 80's. I have my lights WAY up above the plants to keep temps down, these LEDs get hot.

I have a few questions.

1.)Should I have my temp probe on my temp/hygrometer anywhere specific? ATM I have it just kinda out in the open right in the center of the grow, my idea was to get the best idea of the temps in the very center of the direct light. I've read about people putting them down in the soil or in the shade. Thoughts? Where is the best place to be taking temp readings for adjustments. The location of the probe dramatically changes the readings.

L

Lebowskii

2.) I am having a tough time managing heat. Tent is in a basement that is mid 70's, I can close some ducting and drop it slightly but it wont change a lot. The intake is passive and exhaust vents out above the tent as far from the intake vents as I can get it. I'm running LED's but these COBs get really hot.

3.) Along with item 2, I'm having issues with RH. It is winter in the north, RH is ultra low already. I have a whole house humidifier that is working, at least that brings the house up to about 45%. I tend to sit about 45%-50% in the tent. I've had open buckets of water in the tent but that isn't helping. Simply hanging up wet towels or spraying isn't a sustainable solution. I have a cheap hot mist humidifier running in the tent and that is doing nothing at all to raise the RH. I was shocked but it literally did nothing at all.

I know I can probably bring up the RH a little but my temps will go up if I turn the exhaust blower down.

I already have the lights way way up, far further away from the plants then I ever see suggested. I feel like I have to do this to keep the temps directly on the plants reasonable. Again, the temp probe is right in the center of the grow in the direct light so as I bring them down its reading mid to high 80's.

So I'm stuck between high temp and low RH...I can bring one more in line but the other goes out of control. If i bring the lights up and crank up the fan the temps are good but the RH drops. If I bring the lights down and slow down the blower the temps skyrocket and the RH comes up a little.

I looked into a better humidifier with a direct connection to my waterline. Maybe one with a controller to really dial in a perfect adjustable RH. However all the humidifier options seem to have fairly high maintenance requirements.

The option I am most considering is putting together a misting system. It seems like a simple watering timer on the hose connected to a misting head in the tent would let me dump a bunch of moisture in the tent, lets say once an hour or something.

Ideas?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I have a 78x78x78 tent, currently has 12 seedlings in small pots on a table.

I have a 435cfm blowerblower on a 510cfm carbon filter pulling from inside the tent venting out. I wanted to maintain negative pressure to control the smell as much as possible. The blower is plugged in through an analog controller.

I have 2 California light works 550's doing the light work atm.

My temps hover span high 70's to low 80's. I have my lights WAY up above the plants to keep temps down, these LEDs get hot.

I have a few questions.

1.)Should I have my temp probe on my temp/hygrometer anywhere specific? ATM I have it just kinda out in the open right in the center of the grow, my idea was to get the best idea of the temps in the very center of the direct light. I've read about people putting them down in the soil or in the shade. Thoughts? Where is the best place to be taking temp readings for adjustments. The location of the probe dramatically changes the readings.
Mid canopy shaded. You want to no what your canopy temp is not your soil, unless you’ve got pots directly on a concrete floor which I would suggest not doing.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
2.) I am having a tough time managing heat. Tent is in a basement that is mid 70's, I can close some ducting and drop it slightly but it wont change a lot. The intake is passive and exhaust vents out above the tent as far from the intake vents as I can get it. I'm running LED's but these COBs get really hot.

3.) Along with item 2, I'm having issues with RH. It is winter in the north, RH is ultra low already. I have a whole house humidifier that is working, at least that brings the house up to about 45%. I tend to sit about 45%-50% in the tent. I've had open buckets of water in the tent but that isn't helping. Simply hanging up wet towels or spraying isn't a sustainable solution. I have a cheap hot mist humidifier running in the tent and that is doing nothing at all to raise the RH. I was shocked but it literally did nothing at all.

I know I can probably bring up the RH a little but my temps will go up if I turn the exhaust blower down.

I already have the lights way way up, far further away from the plants then I ever see suggested. I feel like I have to do this to keep the temps directly on the plants reasonable. Again, the temp probe is right in the center of the grow in the direct light so as I bring them down its reading mid to high 80's.

So I'm stuck between high temp and low RH...I can bring one more in line but the other goes out of control. If i bring the lights up and crank up the fan the temps are good but the RH drops. If I bring the lights down and slow down the blower the temps skyrocket and the RH comes up a little.

I looked into a better humidifier with a direct connection to my waterline. Maybe one with a controller to really dial in a perfect adjustable RH. However all the humidifier options seem to have fairly high maintenance requirements.

The option I am most considering is putting together a misting system. It seems like a simple watering timer on the hose connected to a misting head in the tent would let me dump a bunch of moisture in the tent, lets say once an hour or something.

Ideas?
45-50 RH is completely acceptable 55% IMOP is the sweet spot I’ve found. Your over thinking it, 80F is in the range you want to be. I tend to run a bit cooler 75-78F but that’s just my preference.

L

Lebowskii

Thanks for the answer. I have moved the temp sensor to a spot under the shaded edge of one of my pots to try to avoid so much direct light. Here is a pic of my set up. Tough to get it all in one shot.

I've been looking around for a solution to my issue and I think I'm going to build a fogger. It seems like an easy cheap, low maintinance solution to low RH. I'm still running hot i think, but if i can pump a stupid amount of moistur in there i can also crank up the exhaust blower.

20190206 202755
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Thanks for the answer. I have moved the temp sensor to a spot under the shaded edge of one of my pots to try to avoid so much direct light. Here is a pic of my set up. Tough to get it all in one shot.

I've been looking around for a solution to my issue and I think I'm going to build a fogger. It seems like an easy cheap, low maintinance solution to low RH. I'm still running hot i think, but if i can pump a stupid amount of moistur in there i can also crank up the exhaust blower.
Shit sorry, didn’t realize where your at after seeing your picks! Definitely get the humidity up a bit. Good start though bro! You want to move this to a grow diary and fire it up?

dcgolfer

dcgolfer

Hey man, I recently set up a new custom room and was having the same RH issue. This was $40 at walmart and solved issues. Set it and fill it every other day.
20190206 204556

L

Lebowskii

I'm sure a new, good functioning humidifier would work, but I am also determined to make this as low maintenance/effort as possible.

I think I'm going to put together a fogger...unless you guys have heard anything bad about that idea. They sell the little foggers on amazon. If i put that in a bucket with a water float valve hosed right into a faucet i can plug the fogger into a timer and get infinate fog.............

I think.....

Maybe...

dcgolfer

dcgolfer

I'm sure a new, good functioning humidifier would work, but I am also determined to make this as low maintenance/effort as possible.

I think I'm going to put together a fogger...unless you guys have heard anything bad about that idea. They sell the little foggers on amazon. If i put that in a bucket with a water float valve hosed right into a faucet i can plug the fogger into a timer and get infinate fog.............

I think.....

Maybe...
I gotcha, since installing watering bucket/reservoir I just pump some fresh water up there every other day. I am constantly tweaking with something in the room every day, heck, I can't walk by without peeking in...lol Happy growing, this is a great place for info!

Sharty1

Sharty1

Ideas?
Maybe try a cool mist humidifier instead of a warm one, it might help a bit with the heat issue. I have a small tent garden as well, my humidifier is for a baby's room. Sounds like some powerful LEDs!

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

I use a cool humidifier that has a fan that sucks air through a filter that’s wicking up water in its reservoir. Got it at Walmart. It also has a digital screen to set desired rh. So it blows cool air for temp and raises humidity.

Last edited:
H

Highkev

I..I dunno man...I think so?

I joined the site like an hour ago so im the noobiest.

I am wouldnt mind documenting things for pro input.
Alot of noobs here and problems occur in 99% of grow ops. We all put our thoughts together to come up with a good strategy for you to attack the problem or problems. Having these guys set eyes on your grows they can give tips and touch on subjects that you may be forgetting or over doing. Your levels don’t seem to far off. Could u add air conditioned air to the room?
Hey man, I recently set up a new custom room and was having the same RH issue. This was $40 at walmart and solved issues. Set it and fill it every other day. View attachment 855425
an upgrade to your humidifier should bring up the rh

SinCity

SinCity

Shit sorry, didn’t realize where your at after seeing your picks! Definitely get the humidity up a bit. Good start though bro! You want to move this to a grow diary and fire it up?
Welcome @Lebowskii :) People here are wonderful. Truly helpful, non-judgemental, alot of real experience and expertise. We all just want to help each other as we have all been helped. Couldn't agree with @1diesel1 more about starting a grow diary! You'll be amazed at how much guidance these guys are willing to give! Let them see lots of pix and hear your continued detailed reports. You'll see. :)

SinCity

SinCity

Alot of noobs here and problems occur in 99% of grow ops. We all put our thoughts together to come up with a good strategy for you to attack the problem or problems. Having these guys set eyes on your grows they can give tips and touch on subjects that you may be forgetting or over doing. Your levels don’t seem to far off. Could u add air conditioned air to the room?

an upgrade to your humidifier should bring up the rh

@Highkev couldn't be more right! I'm still so blown away by the tsunami of positivity from people on this site. There's a dedication to helping everyone: from first-timers to experts and all the different stages and sizes and set-ups and skill levels in between.

SinCity

SinCity

Lol, I feel that I’m still a newb to bro.
That’s what we’re here for share and learn all aspects of growing this beautiful plant! Let’s enjoy your journey!!

sing it @1diesel1!! i've been blessed enough to be around this plant for over 30 years and i have soooo much more to learn--always will. i feel like a newcomer too because i've been in other aspects of this world for many many years and only two years ago returned to the grow side of things. PLUS, i'm starting out on a whole new odyssey in a whole new place and a very different space than i ever had. I've NEVER grown from seed until now. So let's here it for newcomers and re-newcomers lol :cool:

SinCity

SinCity

I..I dunno man...I think so?

I joined the site like an hour ago so im the noobiest.

I am wouldnt mind documenting things for pro input.

I hope you do! I love reading peoples' input and how they problem-solve. Selfishly, I'd love to follow your project because i'm in a way smaller space than i've ever worked with--a laundry room. So it's a brave new world for me too! Getting these small spaces dialed in is a challenge i'm enjoying!

SinCity

SinCity

Mid canopy shaded. You want to no what your canopy temp is not your soil, unless you’ve got pots directly on a concrete floor which I would suggest not doing.

@Lebowskii, @1diesel1 is right as usual. i was talking to an old grower friend of mine about the temperature differential between pots/roots and tops/canopies. they grow fucking trees out here and it's been really educational for me. he told me to think of how plants are grown outdoors. the canopy is where all the sun shines on and thus is the hottest--under the plant is shaded and thus is much cooler. soil is even colder.

Top Bottom