Breed Your Own Mycorrhizae

• Thread starter Samoan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Samoan

Samoan

I wanted to Re-Post this thread for those interested...

I found that it is a lot of info on the web on how to use mycorrhizae, but not on how to breed it ourselves. I guess this is because many companies need to make money from a product that is extremely easy to breed, and needed for increased growth. Never buy mycorrhizae again. $60 a bottle is expensive so lets do it.

1. Purchase whatever Mycorrhizae brand that you like best. Make sure you get the good stuff for this is what you'll be breeding from here on out.

2. Get any bucket or tub to place some soil in. I use a 30 gallon tote because I will be using it throughout my grow and bloom cycle. I also have a few extra totes to increase my fungi yield.

3. Place the soil in the tote or totes you are using and make sure it is moist but not too damp. Water it as if your germinating seedlings. Use organic soil because chemicals tend to kill fungi, so this goes the same for watering.

4. Add oatmeal to the soil mix for the fungi to feed off of and mix it through the soil evenly.

5. Add sugars to your soil mix for the fungi to feed off of also. It isn't any sense in adding carboload or bloom boosters to the mix because it is expensive. The fungi feed off plain sugars such as grain sugars and molasses. Make sure its mixed throughout the soil.

6. Now for the water: water the mix throughout but not too much. Do not use city water because the chlorine products in it will kill off fungi. Instead use rain water or melted snow to water with. But do not use snow if your gonna use the soil, because melted snow slows plant growth. Distilled water is great but gets costly.

7. Now we can add the mycorrhizae that we spent so much money on to the mix. Take powder mycorrhizae and sprinkle some over the top or take liquid mycorrhizae and spray it over the top of the soil mix with a spray bottle.

8. Place a heating pad under the soil container and keep it on high if the tote is large and medium if the tote is small. Theres no need to buy a very expensive heat mat.

9. Make sure to cover the container because fungi need a dark place to grow. Lights will kill them if kept on them for long periods.

Wait a few days and you will see the fungi colonizing. It will look white and fuzzy and you will think mold Nooooooooooo, but this is what you are after. The more fungi you add to the soil the faster it will colonize, but much isn't needed at one time. They will pretty much multiply from any point.

Keep feeding them sugar and oatmeal if you want. Some individuals plant a plant to let the fungi sync with then very little feeding is needed. It's great to throw a store bought potatoe in the soil for the fungi to work with. Also add some bennies to the soil over time. Give the fungi a few days to grow and colonize before adding bacteria, for bacteria eats fungi in its early stage.

When you want to start another tub of mycorrhizae fungi just take some fungi or soil and transfer it to a new soil container, and allow it to multiply.

Try not to break up the colony as much as possible but if so, dont worry they will do there thing in no time. I mix my fungi throughout the soil so I can pull out one big cake to add to my dwc system.

If watering try not to damage the colony. Try to gently spray unchlorinated water to the top of the soil. If adding more fungi: do the same.

Now never run out of your favorite brand again!

day 2

day 3

day 4

Samoan

Samoan

Wow, just makes me wanna eliminate me buying the 20lb bag of bacteria every season and be able to harvest fresh bacteria daily .
This is from Teaming with Microbes by Jefflowenfells - I am just starting to read it. All I can say is that I highly suggest. Also, watch this video on YouTube, the Oregon Cannabis Association pt. 8 with Jeff Lowenfells. I will include the links.

Book:
https://books.google.com/books?id=r...sh hydrolysate teaming with ,microbes&f=false

Video:

dilligaf

dilligaf

I have a ton of organic soil i have recycled several times and have now retired because i dont know what is getting built up over time...actually 2 32 gallon plastic trash cans sitting outside full.
I have a 20 gallon tote i can use for this .would this soil with questionable levels of dry organic nutes be good to use.

D

Samoan

Samoan

I have a ton of organic soil i have recycled several times and have now retired because i dont know what is getting built up over time...actually 2 32 gallon plastic trash cans sitting outside full.
I have a 20 gallon tote i can use for this .would this soil with questionable levels of dry organic nutes be good to use.

D
That's awesome you have enough to make a lot of good compost...I too wonder about any leftover nutes, I don't think it be a problem for any microherd if organic? However, I would imagine if you are going to use the compost in a tea or to mix in to your medium it would add to it...I'm thinking if you breed mykos in it they will break down those leftover organic nutrients and make them more available to your plant!

I would take some samples of it, see if it's still loaded up,
If the PPM is too high for your liking maybe you can flush it? I wouldn't want to flush those good organic nutes though...I'm not sure how long the organic nutrients might stay active in a re-used soil?

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

@seafour knows his shit with the myco.he told me a way to breed myco without needing to buy myco in the first place.i don't remember exactly but it consisted of burying a Tupperware of something under the lawn for a few days and wen u dig it back out-viola!myco!obviously there's more to it than that but thats the basics.

firstcitizen

firstcitizen

First Citizen
Supporter
You can harvest mycorrhizae very simple. You need just to wash the roots in chloride free water from harvest plant.
You can grow grasses for mycorrhizal collection like Rye.
You can infect jar with spoor seeds to grow mycorrhizal.
You can infect your compost .....

How to harvest microorganisms

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I wanted to Re-Post this thread for those interested...

I found that it is a lot of info on the web on how to use mycorrhizae, but not on how to breed it ourselves. I guess this is because many companies need to make money from a product that is extremely easy to breed, and needed for increased growth. Never buy mycorrhizae again. $60 a bottle is expensive so lets do it.

1. Purchase whatever Mycorrhizae brand that you like best. Make sure you get the good stuff for this is what you'll be breeding from here on out.

2. Get any bucket or tub to place some soil in. I use a 30 gallon tote because I will be using it throughout my grow and bloom cycle. I also have a few extra totes to increase my fungi yield.

3. Place the soil in the tote or totes you are using and make sure it is moist but not too damp. Water it as if your germinating seedlings. Use organic soil because chemicals tend to kill fungi, so this goes the same for watering.

4. Add oatmeal to the soil mix for the fungi to feed off of and mix it through the soil evenly.

5. Add sugars to your soil mix for the fungi to feed off of also. It isn't any sense in adding carboload or bloom boosters to the mix because it is expensive. The fungi feed off plain sugars such as grain sugars and molasses. Make sure its mixed throughout the soil.

6. Now for the water: water the mix throughout but not too much. Do not use city water because the chlorine products in it will kill off fungi. Instead use rain water or melted snow to water with. But do not use snow if your gonna use the soil, because melted snow slows plant growth. Distilled water is great but gets costly.

7. Now we can add the mycorrhizae that we spent so much money on to the mix. Take powder mycorrhizae and sprinkle some over the top or take liquid mycorrhizae and spray it over the top of the soil mix with a spray bottle.

8. Place a heating pad under the soil container and keep it on high if the tote is large and medium if the tote is small. Theres no need to buy a very expensive heat mat.

9. Make sure to cover the container because fungi need a dark place to grow. Lights will kill them if kept on them for long periods.

Wait a few days and you will see the fungi colonizing. It will look white and fuzzy and you will think mold Nooooooooooo, but this is what you are after. The more fungi you add to the soil the faster it will colonize, but much isn't needed at one time. They will pretty much multiply from any point.

Keep feeding them sugar and oatmeal if you want. Some individuals plant a plant to let the fungi sync with then very little feeding is needed. It's great to throw a store bought potatoe in the soil for the fungi to work with. Also add some bennies to the soil over time. Give the fungi a few days to grow and colonize before adding bacteria, for bacteria eats fungi in its early stage.

When you want to start another tub of mycorrhizae fungi just take some fungi or soil and transfer it to a new soil container, and allow it to multiply.

Try not to break up the colony as much as possible but if so, dont worry they will do there thing in no time. I mix my fungi throughout the soil so I can pull out one big cake to add to my dwc system.

If watering try not to damage the colony. Try to gently spray unchlorinated water to the top of the soil. If adding more fungi: do the same.

Now never run out of your favorite brand again!

day 2

day 3

day 4
Bury some organic brown or wild rice near an old trees roots for a few weeks and you can harvest your own mycos instead of buying them to start with.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
You can harvest mycorrhizae very simple. You need just to wash the roots in chloride free water from harvest plant.
You can grow grasses for mycorrhizal collection like Rye.
You can infect jar with spoor seeds to grow mycorrhizal.
You can infect your compost .....

How to harvest microorganisms
Guess I should have read lower...

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
@Samoan what your breeding with your method is mycelium fungi not mycorrhizal fungi.
Umm, mycelium fungi makes mushrooms...
If that were true, he could put the fungus under 12/12 light schedule and mist it and it would grow shrooms...

Last edited:
Samoan

Samoan

@420Artie
So it is Fungal Mycelia, and it's already in the compost or vermicompost, and feeding it will activate and increase their numbers greatly prior to adding it to a compost tea where they will not multiply once added?

...Sorry my incorrect title on the thread...I am glad we have some one elaborate!

Mahalo @firstcitizen for sharing -My interpretation of that is Absolutely Priceless Knowledge. seriously, Thank yOu!

@DrMcSkunkins

Yeah Bradda! Have you tried burying the rice yet? I'm excited to get started, I have a couple pretty old trees I have in mind for a couple batches, and I'm scouting for some clumping bamboo to try out.

And I did try to activated the Fungi by putting some EWC in a small tray and adding some oatmeal and moistening it up, put it in the dark in a warm room, in just two days the whole tray was a white fluffy clump, stuck together with fungi.

-I still need to get a microscope to examine my teas!

Teaming with Microbes, by authors, Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis. In it, Lowenfels and Lewis suggest you "give fungi a head start." Since it can be difficult to get fungi to multiple (they do grow in size, just rarely in number) during the compost tea brewing process, the authors recommend growing them prior to the brewing process.To do this, you'll want to moisten a couple cups of compost (just damp, not dripping wet), and then put it in a light-resistant container. Then grind up some simple proteins (fungal foods), such as oatmeal, and mix them in with the moist compost. Cover partially with a lid, and then place in a warm, dark area. We typically put ours under our sink, or above our fridge in a cupboard. After about 3 days, you'll remove the lid, and find a bunch of fungal mycelia throughout the compost. You can now use this compost to brew your fungal tea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom