Bringing out the smell?? NEED HELP!

• Thread starter hydrotran
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hydrotran

Ok this is the third time I've ran these Hells Angel OG Kush cuts. Here is my problem from flower to the end the ladies smell like OG Kush. I touch them with my fingers and it smells like pure OG funk.

My problem is somewhere between cut down, drying, and curing it loses the smell and smells nothing like OG.

Can anyone chime in on why my ladies smell completely different after I harvest??? Is it im not drying the girls right? I usually chop them and hang them upside down for about 3 to 4 days waiting for the lower stem to snap and the stem close to the flowers to bend.

I only flush with water does that make a difference on their smell? Please help! Thanks.

datDANK

datDANK

hang it for a few days with no light until it feels really dry but still wet inside

pre trim everything and put them into trader joes paper bags

start manicuring. now at this point you can put them straight into turkey bags or if he still smells and feels damp keep them in trader joes bags for longer

mango420

mango420

What temps do you dry in? Are u drying in a sealed or vented room? Whats your humidity in the drying room? Do you use a flushing agent? Some more info on your drying technique would be useful.

H

hydrotran

What temps do you dry in? Are u drying in a sealed or vented room? Whats your humidity in the drying room? Do you use a flushing agent? Some more info on your drying technique would be useful.

Drying in a sealed room with central ac
humidity i put at 50%
I only use water when I flush

mango420

mango420

Well the only thing I have seen that affects the smell much is temperature when drying. If its too warm you will loose alot of smell. Of course all cannabis looses smell after its harvested, thats just what happens. I dont know any ogs that are super strong smelling after chop, most of the time u need to squeeze the bud or chop it up to get the smells out. Also if you dont dry long enough which it sounds like your not, the smell will not come out, it will just smell like grass clippings cause its still to wet. 3-4 days at 50rh with no dehumidifier is not long enough to dry. You should be drying for at least a week. Even with a dehum at 40-45 it takes at least 5 days depending on how dry the plants were when chopped and the temps when drying. Bud drys from the outside to the inside, so the first day the outside is hard and crispy feeling, theres still another 1-2 days from being dried. When it has dried properly there should be no lime green in the buds and the stems should be brown, not green, and snap, not bend. Also if you try and pull a bud off when you think there dry, and they dont snap off easily there not dry. hope this helps

xrob415x

xrob415x

I have had the same proplem with my og's. They were reeking before they were chopped. Rh was 50% took 6 days to dry. waited till the outside was dry but inside was wet. But after I put them in turkey bags and left it open for about half the day and closed it for the other half until they were fully dried.

P

paperplane

Are trimming wet or dry? I have noticed when you trim wet its not as stanky as trimming when dry.

OGONLY

OGONLY

Adjust your temp and humidity levels to achieve a 5-8 day hanging drying time. I find between 68-75 F. is a great temp range, and humidity between 50-60% is ideal for humidity. If you follow these numbers your buds won't be dry after 3 or 4 days, and the slow dry will give you the smell you are looking for.

Depending on exactly how dry they are when I cut hem off the stems, they either go into a paper bag for a day or 2, or directly into jars. If the nugs snap right off the stem they go into jars immediately.

If you let them dry out too long (no moisture whatsoever within nugs) you're kind of skrewed. Curing will not take place and smell will be greatly diminished.

H

hydrotran

Adjust your temp and humidity levels to achieve a 5-8 day hanging drying time. I find between 68-75 F. is a great temp range, and humidity between 50-60% is ideal for humidity. If you follow these numbers your buds won't be dry after 3 or 4 days, and the slow dry will give you the smell you are looking for.

Depending on exactly how dry they are when I cut hem off the stems, they either go into a paper bag for a day or 2, or directly into jars. If the nugs snap right off the stem they go into jars immediately.

If you let them dry out too long (no moisture whatsoever within nugs) you're kind of skrewed. Curing will not take place and smell will be greatly diminished.

Thanks. Do you also have air circulation going on in the room? I basically have 4 wall mount fans on when I'm drying is that too much air circulation? The room is big enough for 4 3x6 trays. Oh also if I use a trimmer and leave them to dry on racks how long does it usually take to dry? Mines are dried within 2 to 3 days after I leave them on the racks. Is my room drying too fast? thanks.

OGONLY

OGONLY

Thanks. Do you also have air circulation going on in the room? I basically have 4 wall mount fans on when I'm drying is that too much air circulation? The room is big enough for 4 3x6 trays. Oh also if I use a trimmer and leave them to dry on racks how long does it usually take to dry? Mines are dried within 2 to 3 days after I leave them on the racks. Is my room drying too fast? thanks.

Sounds like you have way too much air circulation in your room. I used to circulate air with a fan but the last 2 runs I have not. If you do use fans, make sure they are not blowing directly on any drying plants. They should be moving air in the room, not blowingon plants.

I would only use more than 2 fans if your ambient humidity is over 60%. I usually strip fan leaves during the first chop. Then hang branches individually. It usually takes 6-8 days before they are dry enough for me to start trimming. I hate automated trimmer trimmed bud. I like to remove nearly every bud leaf so its just not for me.

But to answer your question, yes your stuff is drying 3-5 days too fast. Try cutting out 3 of the 4 fans, then monitor and control temp and humidity keeping in the sweet spot I mentioned in my prior post.

H

hydrotran

Sounds like you have way too much air circulation in your room. I used to circulate air with a fan but the last 2 runs I have not. If you do use fans, make sure they are not blowing directly on any drying plants. They should be moving air in the room, not blowingon plants.

I would only use more than 2 fans if your ambient humidity is over 60%. I usually strip fan leaves during the first chop. Then hang branches individually. It usually takes 6-8 days before they are dry enough for me to start trimming. I hate automated trimmer trimmed bud. I like to remove nearly every bud leaf so its just not for me.

But to answer your question, yes your stuff is drying 3-5 days too fast. Try cutting out 3 of the 4 fans, then monitor and control temp and humidity keeping in the sweet spot I mentioned in my prior post.
Thanks bro!

S

skaz1

Does the overall trim job affect the smell of the weed? For instance, I trim dry and usually I manicure it to perfection once its all the way done curing, but sometimes my weed doesn't have the best nose. It'll smell good, but not as strong as I want it to smell. Even if it gets me super high, it still could have a better nose. Any suggestions? or answers?

Enforcer

Enforcer

I would recommend only having one fan on pointed at a wall. Concentrate more on keeping constant temp/rh at around 60 for both. Depending on air flow, it should take you about 10-14 days to dry in those conditions. The smell will diminish some during drying, but will return during the cure.

dankninja

dankninja

HA is easier to process than most.. barely any trimming to do, efficient dry times.. I just cut off the huge wet stuff, hang upside down.. 3-4 days trim medium size wet stuff.. few more days trim branches off and hang.. then final trim. the smell goes grassy on 2nd trim, comes back on final. gotta keep teeny bit of moisture left, even before stems snap might be time to finish it up. then trap and burp.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Ok this is the third time I've ran these Hells Angel OG Kush cuts. Here is my problem from flower to the end the ladies smell like OG Kush. I touch them with my fingers and it smells like pure OG funk.

My problem is somewhere between cut down, drying, and curing it loses the smell and smells nothing like OG.

Can anyone chime in on why my ladies smell completely different after I harvest??? Is it im not drying the girls right? I usually chop them and hang them upside down for about 3 to 4 days waiting for the lower stem to snap and the stem close to the flowers to bend.

I only flush with water does that make a difference on their smell? Please help! Thanks.
1 add uv or low nanometers to your grow
2 dry your plants more before you jar it
3 use enough pk in flower.. Sulfer helps too

dankninja

dankninja

yea HA likes heavy feed in flower for sure.. but tbh if you're having problems with HA its not the strain, its your dry method..

if it smells great touching then youre probably fine.. can always leave the last bit of trim on it and just pick or peel off right before you smoke.. it protects for transport.

Top Bottom