Buchner Funnel Questions?

• Thread starter ForrestGUMP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

ForrestGUMP

try looking up how to stop autobuddering
Ok thanks...

The only stuff I could find about preventing autobuddering was talking about after it's been purged. It was saying to keep it in the fridge in an airtight container :/

gumby420

gumby420

my stuff is usually stable enough to flip by hand within 10 min of the muffin collapsing at 80-85*. all my sap and auto buttering went away after I dropped my temps. i just purge for 5 days cause I'm super anal and want as close to zero ppm as possible. I'm sure I've hit 0 ppm before and batches I haven't tested. but the highest I've ever tested was 108ppm, still acceptable in legal states.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

haha what? shatter is not over purged or lacking in terpenes. I vac at 80* for 5 days, last test came back with 6.2% terps and 18ppms of residual solvents.
most likely you're temps are too high. start your temps at 80 and go from there. if the muffin doesn't drop at a full vac, raise temps a little. I had the same problem for a solid year. I tried EVERYTHING including winterizing, you just lose terps with secondary solvents. all I did was drop my temps and boom....stable shatter everytime. I also started single solvent dewaxing which made everything even more stable but thats another topic.
Yes over purging is a thing. Any real chemist and extractionist knows that to make oil brittle, all it takes is dewaxing and over purging. Literally cooking off terpenes. 80degree purging? I have found this to be extremely in adaquate in purging for the mere fact that it doesn't give enough viscosity to bubble through. 110-115 are great because its still not volatilzing terps.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

So I've been having trouble getting my bho stable. I was wanting to try winterizing with Ethanol and running it through a buchner funnel. On bestvaluevacs.com there is options for both a fritted and non-fritted buchner funnel. Which one should I get and why lol?

Also if anybody has any advice to make my stuff "shatter" I would appreciate it. Im using a best value vac 1lb closed column extractor. I boil off the excess butane in a water bath and try to keep temps below 100 def f. Then I put it in a vac chamber with a heat jacket. Ive tried temps from 90-110 deg f. My pressure gets between -28.5 and -29 hg. I'm usually using a mix of close trim and small lower buds. Sometimes I trim fan leaves and run the whole plant. I let the tube sit on dry ice about 2 hours before blasting and I have been getiting around 10% return.

I was trying to purge for longer times in hopes to make it stable. Is it possible to over-purge lol? Sometimes it seems like my slabs will be see through and slightly stable like "snap and pull", for the first 24 hours. After another day or 2 it seems like it sugars up and turns slightly opaque. Final results are like crumble. I was thinking it was a strain thing but it seems like every strain comes out sticky.

Thanks!
Running a closed loop? What it sounds like is your running your solvent too warm. You need a condenser hose like in the pic. Dry ice and acetone/denatured alcohol/ethanol. Fill up alcohol in 5 gal fill with some dry ice ever so slowly. Then injection will be coming in much colder and you should be getting shatter pretty consistently. If you want to double whammy it, you can freeze your column in dry ice.

20171215 161822
20171215 161814
20171215 161749
20171213 152526
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

my stuff is usually stable enough to flip by hand within 10 min of the muffin collapsing at 80-85*. all my sap and auto buttering went away after I dropped my temps. i just purge for 5 days cause I'm super anal and want as close to zero ppm as possible. I'm sure I've hit 0 ppm before and batches I haven't tested. but the highest I've ever tested was 108ppm, still acceptable in legal states.
Your getting your stuff tested? And your not in a legal state? So medical? Which state? Got a pic of those results? Super curious here. Got a sample tested a few days ago and just waiting to hear something back.

F

ForrestGUMP

I'm going to do the next couple batches at 80 and see if it helps.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

I have given you step by step with pics and results and you go with the person without?
Okay then lol.
What do I know? I can only recover a lb of butane a minute :smoking:

F

ForrestGUMP

Yes over purging is a thing. Any real chemist and extractionist knows that to make oil brittle, all it takes is dewaxing and over purging. Literally cooking off terpenes. 80degree purging? I have found this to be extremely in adaquate in purging for the mere fact that it doesn't give enough viscosity to bubble through. 110-115 are great because its still not volatilzing terps.
No I couldnt afford the closed loop at the moment. I'm filling a column and then blasting into a Pyrex. Would it be safe to set my solvent tank on dry ice? Or could I fill my column full of butane, close the valve and then freeze it?

How long would you say to purge on average if I did 110 deg?

F

ForrestGUMP

This has been purging for 24 hours at 80 deg lol. Its slightly stable but hard to handle with clums hands. It seems the same consistency as my last batch was after 24 hours at 100 deg.

F

ForrestGUMP

This is the same material but purged for 72 hours at 100 deg. At looked clear at 24 hours and started to sugar up and turn into like a wet crumble towards the end.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

No I couldnt afford the closed loop at the moment. I'm filling a column and then blasting into a Pyrex. Would it be safe to set my solvent tank on dry ice? Or could I fill my column full of butane, close the valve and then freeze it?

How long would you say to purge on average if I did 110 deg?
Dry ice or a deep freezer or even a regular freezer helps for freezing the column. You can freeze your solvent tank it just is super slow to push solvent that way imo. I don't think 80 is enough viscosity to do much. 100 for about 4 days flipped every 4 or less hours the last 2 days. Freezing the slab is how I flipped when I didn't have an oven. 113 is my prime number I prefer. Still makes shatter every time.

F

ForrestGUMP

Oh and I should mention that my buddy and I run a variety of material with a few different people, using the same process. My batches are the usually the only ones that come out like sap. I figured it was the strains I'm running and still think it might be part of it, but It seems like every strain I try comes out really sticky. It always tastes amazing though

F

ForrestGUMP

Dry ice or a deep freezer or even a regular freezer helps for freezing the column. You can freeze your solvent tank it just is super slow to push solvent that way imo. I don't think 80 is enough viscosity to do much. 100 for about 4 days flipped every 4 or less hours the last 2 days. Freezing the slab is how I flipped when I didn't have an oven. 113 is my prime number I prefer. Still makes shatter every time.
That sounds a little more along the lines of what the people I know do. I don't mind a slower process if it will help my consistency lol. I wanted to freeze my tank yesterday but I was scared it would damage it or something. I'm so clumsy that I always have trouble flipping it. I'm getting better at it and the freezer helps....but do I have to worry about "agitating" it when I flip it? Or is that more purposely whipping it?

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

This is the same material but purged for 72 hours at 100 deg. At looked clear at 24 hours and started to sugar up and turn into like a wet crumble towards the end.
Material might be too terpy or your getting too many fats and lipids in your oil. Freezing your tube will help immensely I believe.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

That sounds a little more along the lines of what the people I know do. I don't mind a slower process if it will help my consistency lol. I wanted to freeze my tank yesterday but I was scared it would damage it or something. I'm so clumsy that I always have trouble flipping it. I'm getting better at it and the freezer helps....but do I have to worry about "agitating" it when I flip it? Or is that more purposely whipping it?
You can nucleate shatter with agitation. That's another way ppl accidentally get crumble.

F

ForrestGUMP

Material might be too terpy or your getting too many fats and lipids in your oil. Freezing your tube will help immensely I believe.
Ok well thanks for all the advice. I have enough for a few more batches so I'll try to remember to keep the post updated, but I'm stuck with the same strains until next harvest.

F

ForrestGUMP

Would you suggest winterizing? Or should I save my 200$ lol

Top Bottom