Buchner Funnel Questions?

• Thread starter ForrestGUMP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

ForrestGUMP

Aye.. Open blasting, I used whip it once when I was open blasting back in the day, did not like the taste. I think its just because its a cheap tane. Noticed a significant difference when switched to Luciennne, Special Blue(still cheap), or even Colibri(best tasting but apparently has a lot of mystery oil ppms). That's just my .02 on the tane used in open blasting. I think once you freeze your column or/and solvent you will be on your way to making stable.
Should I freeze my column after it's pressurized? If so for how long?

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

you run 30lbs of solvent through a 4lb column? that seems super excessive, what kind of system are you running that even holds that much solvent?
What do you mean what system even holds that much? You spent money on a pre build from someone? Lol... Its just 2 bases tri clamped together lol. I bought my system already build by someone who independently built it.
I literally just wait for it to run clear, on average takes anywhere from 25 to 30lbs of solvent... Not rocket science here. My system is just probably bigger than yours. Imo your use very little solvent. Lol just saying. I talked to a few ppl and 16 lbs ain't nothing to inject through a 4 lb column. Its barely getting away with it. Again just something my peers and I noticed.
Everyone should run their solvent into injection until clear for a minute or 2. Its that verification piece. Btw yes my base for all is massive because as I said its just 2 bases tri clamped together...

F

ForrestGUMP

Freeze before pressure
Ok gotcha. I've been freezing the material overnight and then setting the tube on dry ice for a few hours and then blasting immediately. Should I invest in a jacketed column so I can fill the sleeve with dry ice?

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

What do you mean what system even holds that much? You spent money on a pre build from someone? Lol... Its just 2 bases tri clamped together lol. I bought my system already build by someone who independently built it.
I literally just wait for it to run clear, on average takes anywhere from 25 to 30lbs of solvent... Not rocket science here. My system is just probably bigger than yours. Imo your use very little solvent. Lol just saying. I talked to a few ppl and 16 lbs ain't nothing to inject through a 4 lb column. Its barely getting away with it. Again just something my peers and I noticed.
Everyone should run their solvent into injection until clear for a minute or 2. Its that verification piece. Btw yes my base for all is massive because as I said its just 2 bases tri clamped together...
But there is a million ways to skin a cat, your system might be slower and lets the butane slowly inject, hell it might be better than mine. Mine is a straight flood. Point is, every system is a little different, especially store bought ones.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Ok gotcha. I've been freezing the material overnight and then setting the tube on dry ice for a few hours and then blasting immediately. Should I invest in a jacketed column so I can fill the sleeve with dry ice?
You can, but at that point I would start investing to fix up your closed loop. Sitting on dry ice should be fine then immediately blasted. Its a closed pressurized column? That you have to let you material soak in? Or is it just a straight steel tube or glass?

F

ForrestGUMP

You can, but at that point I would start investing to fix up your closed loop. Sitting on dry ice should be fine then immediately blasted. Its a closed pressurized column? That you have to let you material soak in? Or is it just a straight steel tube or glass?
It's a pressurized closed column. Here's the link

I'm not sure how many pounds of butane I'm using. I've been putting 6 420 ml cans into a tank and using all of that. I'm not even sure how many cans fit into my 30# tank lol

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

It's a pressurized closed column. Here's the link

I'm not sure how many pounds of butane I'm using. I've been putting 6 420 ml cans into a tank and using all of that. I'm not even sure how many cans fit into my 30# tank lol
6 should be fine, I would listen when injecting to hear the flooding on the column, once it stops you should be good for the soak. When I run crude oil to make into distillate,i close off the ball valve to the column and let it flood. You should be able to audibly hear it flooding. If its injecting slow, bring hot water in a bucket and dip the cans of solvent in the hot water so it increases pressure. But only if you have a frozen column. Otherwise that warm solvent can extract a lot of garvage.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

you run 30lbs of solvent through a 4lb column? that seems super excessive, what kind of system are you running that even holds that much solvent?
Btw I am going to lessen my pressure to see if I can get clear solvent without a waterfall pouring out. I will see if this helps with less solvent over the material and recovery times. Not sure but its worth a shot, I just like how fast I can get things done with the methods I use.

gumby420

gumby420

haha ok... I have a custom Terpp mk4c, cause I have a friend who used to work for Terpp, who consulted me years ago and how to run my system...it sounds like you're new to this, I run between 20-50lb of material a day, EVERY DAY.... no its not rocket science here...its thermodynamics. are you running for crude oil when you run 25-30lbs of solvent? I would be shocked to see that much solvent returning piss yellow oil. what "solvent tank" tank are you running? any by the way, there are recovery tanks AND solvent tanks, just depends on the application (whats your IG, id like to see the people stating its not a recovery tank). and whoever you're talking to that says running 16lbs through a column isn't enough is dead wrong. if that were the case then why would I be getting back 10-17% returns on trim? and thats also what every big extractor I know runs...im @quail_extracts on ig if you wanna check my page.

gumby420

gumby420

I'm using whip it brand butane. I was thinking about starting to get it by the tank. Getting a little confused converting the ml to pounds lol

make sure if you get Whip It to get the Premium. The one thats made in the UK. Which one have you been using? they have like 5 different ones. The premium is the cleanest and made in the UK.

F

ForrestGUMP

make sure if you get Whip It to get the Premium. The one thats made in the UK. Which one have you been using? they have like 5 different ones. The premium is the cleanest and made in the UK.
Ive been using the premium.

gumby420

gumby420

Ive been using the premium.
ok cool thats the good one, and helps with stability because of the iso butane blend they put in there, I believe its 54% butane, 24% iso butane and 22% propane....but that means something else is up with your stuff not coming out stable. did you see my post about single solvent dewaxing? I feel like that helped my stability. have you tried freezing your cans before blasting? I never froze my tubes, I would just leaves cans in the freezers for about 24 hours before the run. I always kept the material frozen, but the not the packed tubes. maybe you're picking up moisture when you put the packed tube in the freezer and its getting into your oil??

F

ForrestGUMP

ok cool thats the good one, and helps with stability because of the iso butane blend they put in there, I believe its 54% butane, 24% iso butane and 22% propane....but that means something else is up with your stuff not coming out stable. did you see my post about single solvent dewaxing? I feel like that helped my stability. have you tried freezing your cans before blasting? I never froze my tubes, I would just leaves cans in the freezers for about 24 hours before the run. I always kept the material frozen, but the not the packed tubes. maybe you're picking up moisture when you put the packed tube in the freezer and its getting into your oil??

What do u mean by single solvent dewaxing? Would I just pour it through a buchner funnel after I blast it?

gumby420

gumby420

also this is for the OP. sorry for hijacking your thread. so when I was having trouble getting stable shatter lowering my oven temps worked...for me. but it sounds like I had a similar set up as you. I had the closed column extractor. I would put mason jars under the pour spout and blast into the jar. then take that jar and put it in a cooler full of dry ice and bury it up to the top with the lid off. once that hit around -45 I would run that through a Buchner funnel. I think that made my shatter a little more stable. maybe try single solvent dewaxing. also what solvent are you using? that could be a factor as well.

this^^^

gumby420

gumby420

Ok I'm going to order a funnel. It might be a week or 2 but I will update this when I use it
so you'll need a funnel and flask. they usually come as a set. but you'll also need something to pull a vacuum on it. and it can't be a pump because it could suck in flammable solvent. so you want to do it passively. I had a 10gal vac chamber I would vac down and bring over to my Buchner set up and use the negative pressure in the vac chamber to pull the oil down through the filters in the funnel.

F

ForrestGUMP

so you'll need a funnel and flask. they usually come as a set. but you'll also need something to pull a vacuum on it. and it can't be a pump because it could suck in flammable solvent. so you want to do it passively. I had a 10gal vac chamber I would vac down and bring over to my Buchner set up and use the negative pressure in the vac chamber to pull the oil down through the filters in the funnel.
So If I vac my 7 gal chamber and hook that up to the funnel, would it pull?

Latest posts

Top Bottom