Budget Led Grow. First Time Grower

• Thread starter Sdfoster22
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sdfoster22

About 1 year ago I made the stupid purchase of a cheap purple led "150w" ufo thinking it would be enough to grow in the 32"x32"x64" tent I bought. After doing much research I screwed the pooch so to speak lol. But it was l s only like $25.

After doing a lot of research (mostly from the vids from led gardner) I figured out how to find the actual draw with my multimeter and it's roughly 57.7 watts.

I am looking to add to this and was looking into qbs, strips (eb gen 2), and cobs. Since this is my first build I decided to go cheaper and bought 2 four packs of 100w equivalent leds from walmart (16w actual). These are also 2700k. I will only be using 2.6x2 of the actual space, so about 30w/sq ft.

Now for build. I can get 6 outdoor sockets and some aluminum angle for the frame. I was planning on using the purple with 6 of these leds with cover removed giving me a total of around 150 watts of led.

My biggest question.
Should I remove the blurple light from casing and attach it to the build with the pc fan on top of the aluminum pcb, and place 16w leds accordingly with clip on fan running over top of whole build. Or should I leave the blurple in it's case and build around it? Would running the blurple outside of its case help with heat dissipation?

Also would these outdoor sockets be best for the money? They are about $3 a piece. Or is there a better alternative?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LEVITON-Weatherproof-Socket-Black-R60-00055-000/100356874

I know there is bigger and better alternatives out there. Once I get a few grows under my belt I plan on building a strip light using 7 eb gen 2 2' strips run with an hlg-185h-C1050A.

I already have the blurple and a19 leds so my first couple grows are going to be with this. Any recommendations on how to maximize this setup I already have would be greatly appreciated.

Please don't flame my setup as I already know the alternatives. I am just working on maximizing what I already have.

DGP

DGP

You may want a taller tent at some point cause your gonna run out of head room. I like COBs and Quantum boards and in tents the QB's can be a advantage for a couple of reasons:

1. With their radiation angle (about 180 degrees but less intense as angle increases) they work well in a tent with reflective walls close by.

2. They are very thin and light. With a 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum angle stock your finished light is only a couple inches thick which means with the light all the way up you only lose 2 " in grow height....cant do that with any other light as thick as they often are.

I just built a 6 panel QB120 and it doesn't even need heatsinks and is literally 1.5" thick and 3 lbs.

Dee

S

Sdfoster22

Oh definitely. I am definitely going to invest in better lighting after a few grows. I know all about the qb boards, strips, ECT. I just don't want to flip out that cash yet. The main question I would need is should I remove the blurple led panel and attach it to the frame I'm building, or should I build around it with an assembly.

*edit* I am growing some autoflower for my first two grows. The first strain I'm trying out is sugar mango ryder. It should stay pretty small... Should lol. In all honesty I'm not going to smoke much. My old lady smokes some, but I'm going to invest more if I can get something useful out of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom