Buds not retaining smell! Help!

• Thread starter KALEPONI
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KALEPONI

Hi folks, so my harvest has wielded some great looking, dense and hairy buds.. but I seem to have ONE big problem.. No smell. I mean they smell, but its faint, and not so much like marijuana.. more like.. tea?
If I give them a slight squeeze, Ill get that pungent aroma that Im looking for, but it doesnt last, and I dont want to go thru my entire harvest and squeeze each nug to get that stank.. What can I do??

Ill list my drying conditions so theres less questions:

I have a big cabinet i built out of plywood and some mohagony quarter inch side panels. (pic below) Then I have botanical drying nets I found at a hardware store that hang inside and i place the manicured buds on those nets. It closes up and theres a gap at the bottom and top for air circulation. I have hygrometer or whatever that tells me the temp and humidity, which is always around 65 degrees F and about 50% humidity.. which is what I heard are ideal conditions for drying, yet I still have these unstinky buds! What the heck!? Any ideas? I cure too, in glass airtight jars. Im so confused...

So the first pic is my drying cabinet, 50% humidity pretty regularly, and anywhere from 60 to 70 degrees F on average.

The second pic is the buds Ive harvested and dried in that cabinet. The frosty white bud in the front is Nebula, and the darker amber bud in the back is Super Lemon Haze. Both smoke great and taste nice.. but they both lack in smell a lot. Hardly any odor, and that bugs me.

Weed buds losing their smell
Marijuana buds losing smell, faint scent

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LBZ Farmer

You didn't list how long you dry for and how long you cure for and what your cure process is... Nice set up by the way. Also are you using any kind of odor killer like ONA gel or Ozone Generators? Might help others give you a better idea of what is going on...

D

Donk Frog

bdawg is right the smell comes out in the cure...just cause your weed is dry does not mean it's been cured properly

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
takes like 4 weeks for a proper cure. anything less than 3 weeks in my eyes in just dried buds, not cured yet. iv found the longer i drag on the cure the stronger the smell can get. i dry my smoke till i know its not gonna mold up from moisture then slowly cure it over like 3 weeks in jars. your bud shots look nice, are you sure its not just the strain your working with, sounds like your process is decent.....

K

KALEPONI

Hey thanks guys, ya sorry I forgot to mention how long I dry and cure for..
I dry them in that big cabinet for about 2 weeks, I like to make sure the branches snap instead of bend, so theyre sure to be pretty dry. Then I cut off all the stems and junk and put them in those glass mason jars and seal them tight for curing. I open them about 3 or 4 times a day to let out any evaporated moisture. Ill do this for about another 2 weeks, but maybe longer is necessary? I have noticed that since I made this thread, they are beginning to get some pretty good aromas back to them.
Thank you all for the help, i appreciate it!

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
sounds like your losing your smell from over hanging.....i only hang for like about 5 days, cut the buds off the hangin plant onto screen for maybe 2 days or so max, then jar from there for 3 more weeks. open jars few times throughout the day....all depends on room temp and humidity. but iv never had to let my plants hang for 2 weeks, thats just a bit too long homie, try to cut that in half.....:)

K

KALEPONI

Ok thanks man, I dont know where I got 2 weeks from, must have heard it from a friend so I figured that was a general dry time. Ill be sure to cut it down to 5 days or so from now on. Mine "hang" but theyre on a net in that closet, so i figure they get the right amount of air flow that way, but i do turn them every other day or so. Its all in jars now tho and its starting to regain that good stink. Haha. Thanks!

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Keep in mind that sometimes your nose can get used to a smell and make it hard to detect; a room may be so saturated with the odor that the source doesn't appear to be the source... A while back I was upset that this batch of buds had no smell as I portioned some out for a patient. As I brought it to my patient, I was apologizing for the lack of fragrance, unzipped my backpack, and the room instantly reeked of dankness. It's likely you just need a little longer cure, but you may try my idea. Take a little sack or jar to work in your pocket and see if any co-workers notice or recognize the smell...LOL (just kidding, do not try that at work).

R

revolutionseeds

Premium Member
Supporter
2 weeks is the max you want to dry....7-14 days is good. Drying too fast is bad.

J

jordisgarden

Fuck man. smell is the bane of my existence. i love the smell yet it can get me busted soooo fast. the last grow i did i had some skunk x haze that you smell a joints worth in a pocket 30 feet away. but then i grew some stuff white ice. it had no smell until 12 days or so in the jar. and it still wasnt stinky.

H

Hlg09

Thats for sure my buds smelled like alfalfa or a grass clump u would pull out from underneath a lawnmower for about a month till they were totally dried in the jars

F

FatBastard

Keep in mind that sometimes your nose can get used to a smell and make it hard to detect; a room may be so saturated with the odor

Very true.. My room to me is not so stinky. But, after watering and quarter turning my girls I will leave the room and change clothes because I smell like a dead skunk is in my pants.. :pimp:

C

CigarilloPillow

i had the same issue where i would lose alot of aromas, but a proper cure is all u need alot of times, some strains just dont have that dank smell tho, more subtle flavors but with nice complex overtones when smoked

R

Ridge

it might be a stretch but I just started using those drying racks also and I'm noticing a big decrease in smell, way less then when i used to use hangers and leave it on the stem for a week or so. My cure is the same, the drying racks are the only difference. Doing some side by side tests now so we'll see. Perhaps the fabric draws out the smell?

The Joker

The Joker

Absolutely not. I've been using racks for years.
Most smell is strain dependent... for example Williams Wonder IX from Rez smelled like citrus in flower and nothing after cure.

Same grow, same racks, Blueberry sativa smelled like a skunk sprayed after eating fruit.

If you are not growing organically in soil , you can add things to encourage production of oils and resins that bring out the flavor in your weed.

One of the main reasons I chuck plants is that they have no taste and smell after cure.
Keepers: Blueberry Sativa, Blue Sattelite, GDP, Pure Kush , Bubba Kush, Chemdog D.,
Northern Lights .

Losers with no smell and taste: Nirvana White Widow, Gonzo no.1 , Williams Wonder IX, The one female I got from Bog's lifesaver... but I have more seeds to try. Aurora Indica purple pheno.

It has nothing to do with the racks, it has to do with genetics and what you feed the plants and how you flush and cure to maximize smell and taste.

So far the best taste has been PBP in soil outside with budswel. Flushed for 2 weeks before harvest. Cured on racks for 10 days, in bags for 3 days depending on bud size, in jars for 30 days.

C

chickenn

genetics plain and simple. there is nothing wrong with what you are doing. other than you are burping your jars way too often after a 2 week dry. does it hurt to burp them 3-4 times a day if they are dry ? no. does it help ? no.

mind you i said if dry.

i hang mine at almost the same exact temp and humidity, for usually about ten days. then into a large brown bag for a couple of days, and then into jars, i burp it a few times the first week to make sure it is dry. but hanging for ten days, it is dry. and the paper bag would pull any residual moisture.

if it's dry. it's dry. it won't get re-wet. i agree with the one bro who said he would rather dry longer, than risk rotting them in the jars. a lil on the dry side is a lot better than even a wee bit on the wet when you stuff it in a jar.

you got a good setup and routine. stick to it.

C

chickenn

and...lol if you dry weed fast. it will smell like hay forever. and if you jar it wet, it will smell like the mold it is growing.

genetics is the key to flavor,odor and potency. most of the strains you like are good genes, and most you don't are poor.

i find it hard to make good dank smell and taste like anything but dank, regardless of how i treat it.....within reason of course.

Jimmynitz

Jimmynitz

Pisces Genetics
It has nothing to do with the racks, it has to do with genetics and what you feed the plants and how you flush and cure to maximize smell and taste.
That pretty much sums it up.

Top Bottom