Bugs In My Dwc Reservoir

• Thread starter Greengrower8
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Greengrower8

Yea my basement room is far from air tight. I guess they could have come in from somewhere external. I’m glad I really don’t have to worry much about em. The only ones I still see are within the roots and are already totally submerged in water. So they are probably dead, although I can’t really pick them outta there.

G

Greengrower8

Azamax usually only got me like 3 weeks of a knockdown. Look into Botanigard Es from Bioworks..

Interesting. I’ll have to look into that.

I just found more of these fuckers in another bucket. Again, from the same clone source. These 2 infected buckets are on opposite sides of the room. So one didn’t infect the other. I gave them a tsunami and I’ll be changing the water.

About 1/3 of my plants are (were) from this same source (using promix that got transferred into my buckets). All the rest have always been straight hydro and have never touched dirt. All 3 infestations, with one appearing several days apart and another a few weeks apart, all came from this SAME clone source. It seems highly probable these plants that used promix are to blame for these random outbreaks. The idea that they came in externally and randomly attacked the same type of plants, weeks apart on totally different sides of the room seems practically impossible.

G

Greengrower8

These bugs continue to appear in different buckets. I’ve found them in buckets that have zero soil in them. I have to assume they are moving from bucket to bucket. I have just been drowning them and changing the water. They seem to subside after that. But then I’ll find them in another bucket and on and on.
These things are really nothing to worry about?? They don’t seem to be doing any damage. But they do look terrible. They only exist in my reservoir. Is there anything I can use to kill these things or prevent them from appearing? Or is anything I can use on them going to cause more harm than good? It’s just very hard to just ignore them.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Life cycle. So they are breeding somehow and somewhere .
You need to first. Remove any soil products from the room if you can.
Then you gotta hit it with any insecticide (organic)(hydro safe)), multiple cycles. Like every 3 days for a month. Once the breeding cycle is broken then you can work on ensuring the outbreak never happens again

G

Greengrower8

There are no soil products in the room at all. I will have to look into some insecticide I can use in my reservoirs. I’m just into flower and hesitant to use anything, but I want these bastards gone.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
There are no soil products in the room at all. I will have to look into some insecticide I can use in my reservoirs. I’m just into flower and hesitant to use anything, but I want these bastards gone.
Is they ain’t hiring the roots. I would not spray anything while in flower. Green cleaner works but man it is like soap if mixed into hydro.

G

Greengrower8

They’re just in groups hanging on the roots. I dunno wtf they are doing. They don’t seem to be eating much and I have zero aphids flying around. I’ll take a pic next time.

G

Greengrower8

Oh and I’ve used green clean as a foliar spray in the past and burnt the F out of my flowers (lights off etc etc). And yea it’s like a friggin car wash soaping. Is there nothing I can add to the reservoirs to kill them at this point?

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Oh and I’ve used green clean as a foliar spray in the past and burnt the F out of my flowers (lights off etc etc). And yea it’s like a friggin car wash soaping. Is there nothing I can add to the reservoirs to kill them at this point?
Not really bro, next res change you can do a hydrogen peroxide wash

G

Greengrower8

I guess I can do that. I can spray them directly with h2o2.

But again - are these things gonna damage my plants??? If they can do no harm I’m not stressing about them. I have 6-8 weeks of flower left and I’m not pulling my hair out over this for no reason. It also really pisses me off that I took a lot of effort to treat all these plants with Azamax many times, from clone, through veg and I still have these frickin bugs all over. What the hell was I supposed to treat them with to prevent them? I thought Azamax was broad spectrum enough to take care of everything, but obviously not. Unbelievably frustrating.

Last edited:
G

Greengrower8

I have been looking into using Botanigard ES to treat these root aphids. How is it applied? Is it added to the reservoir or added to a sprayer and then the bugs are sprayed directly? At what ratios? Can it be used into flower?
This stuff is pretty pricy, but if I have to use it I will. I just wanna understand how far a quart of this is gonna go.
Thanks!

G

Greengrower8

Um, ok, the more I have been looking into dealing with these root aphids, the more pissed off I get about what has been discussed here. I mean, maybe I’m missing something here, but EVERYTHING I read about these things says that’s they are one of the worst things to deal with and one of the hardest things to kill. Absolutely NOWHERE does it say dismiss them, they won’t cause much damage - except for here, I guess.
Why in the fuck am I being told to ignore these things, that they are not a big deal?! Why has no one stepped in and said that they are a huge problem - do this, this and this to get rid of them?! I’ve been sitting on my hands for weeks after being told more than once that they are nothing to worry about. I would have gotten some Botanigard or green cleaner immediately if I knew how bad this problem is! Instead I’m basically told to do nothing and now they are everywhere. I don’t fucking understand why I would be given such poor info and no one came and corrected it. Please correct me if I don’t really understand something here. But right now I dunno WTF is going on. Dammit!!!

chemistry

chemistry

Are your plants suffering? Get some sticky cards round the base of your plants.

G

Greengrower8

They don’t seem to be suffering, but I’m worried about coming in one day and finding dead plants. I have heard about using yellow sticky cards, it can’t hurt.
It seems the only thing I can really do now that I’m into flower is spray them with h2o2 and/or treat my reservoirs with it. I’m unsure about the interaction between the h2o2 and hydrogaurd, so I may wait for next water change to add h2o2 to the reservoirs.
I have heard about Botanigard ES, but I dunno if I can still use it 2 weeks into flower.
I have also used Green Cleaner before. Only as a foliar spray. I’m not sure if and how I can still add it to my reservoirs.
But again, I get very mixed answers about how much of a problem these RAs are, so I’m disinclined to do anything drastic.

chemistry

chemistry

Just use sticky cards for now and see what your up against. They will die out after a couple of generations hit the cards.

G

Greengrower8

They will really crawl outta the buckets and onto these cards?? I rarely see them outside the bucket. Every once in a while I see one crawling around the lid. I’m just shocked something this simple attracts them. I hope it does.

G

Greengrower8

Please. Can I get a straight answer about these root aphids?

Are they ultimately going to attack my plants above the roots at all or will they always stay in the buckets?

I realize they can eventually fly, but is that simply to find more roots?

I just wanna understand what I’m up against.

Green Cleaner in res?? Anyone ever done this?? I know it’s safe to use as foliar throughout flower, but can’t find info about adding it to reservoirs.

What about spreading diatomaceous earth on the lids and on the floor around the buckets? Will this keep them from spreading all over??

Thank you!

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Again in hydro, no the root aphids won’t do shit
Quit stressing out when we have told ya with experience, that it won’t do anything.
You can nuke em with hydro store snake oil remedies.
Or not get them in hydro in the first place.
Start clones in rock wool next go.
One cannot start in soil and not fuck up in hydro.
Sterilized environment iS hydro
Soil, well shit happens

Top Bottom