Burning Babies

• Thread starter freshscene
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.growz

Mr.growz

F

freshscene

Dude take this advice if nothing else, i start all my seeds under leds and i keep them at 20 inches, 160w true draw for veg (you haven’t specified if its 300w from the wall or it is an equivalent to 300w type of deal) and never had any problems. Those lights can’t be that strong imo. Water them when they need it, when the top 2 inches dry. Plants are resilient, after they establish their roots they are not going to die from lack of water easily, but they “drown” very easily in stagnant water lacking O2.

F

freshscene

I'm using a mars hydro led which is 300w equivalent i believe. I did order a smaller grow light that's 18w. Hopefully i can bring them back to life with less watering and less light.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I'm using a mars hydro led which is 300w equivalent i believe. I did order a smaller grow light that's 18w. Hopefully i can bring them back to life with less watering and less light.
That light should be ok at 20+ inches in my opinion but never it hurts to try, again i think your problem is either overwatering or a soil too rich with nutrients, or both imo.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Can you turn some of the lights off? I know many led manufacturers suggest running both veg and bloom at the same time and the purple tint (vs blue) leads me to believe you are using both.

Nevermind. Just googled the fixture you have and it doesn’t work that way. Unless I missed something. The pics on amazon weren’t the best.

Mr.growz

Mr.growz

Yeah I do think the light is too strong. I would raise it like Crimson suggested or use fluorescents, or cfls for first few weeks. Also how often do you water. Shouldn't be on a schedule but when the plants need it.

F

freshscene

My light is raised about 2 feet and it doesn't have separate light switches. But the new smaller light i got can alternate the colors. Do you guys think i can bring them back or just start over?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
My light is raised about 2 feet and it doesn't have separate light switches. But the new smaller light i got can alternate the colors. Do you guys think i can bring them back or just start over?

At 2 feet that light shouldn’t do damage to the plants. Your problem is with the rootzone imo. The one time i got the same symptoms with my seedlings was because root rot. Is there a rancid smell coming out of the soil?
If it is root rot, you have very little chance to save such little ones ime but what i would do (i am newbie too, take it with a grain of salt) would be introducing benefical bacteria with a compost tea enriched with some rooting hormones or rooting supplements also some em1 or lactobacilli serum (added after brewing is done) to eat away the dead root mass and help with the recovery.
Root rot or not this recipe can’t hurt either way, if you have equipment you can do it.

Mr.growz

Mr.growz

Has the burn continued since the pic you showed..And crimson is right that it's probably the soil or overwatering. I have burned leaves from lights (flourecents) being to close, but once I thought it was lights again burning my plants ,yet it wasn't it wass too much nitrogen as I put nitrogen stakes in the soil while I was already properly fertilsed..Lol doing too much 1st grow..so my advice is ph test the soil cause you don't want to put new ones in there until you know what happened. If you live in a state that's got recreation or whatever my advice would be to get some clones that are over 6 inches tall. And start with those.. this would be good for beginning. If not start germinating and don't throw out the plants as you may be able to save a few. If they are not femonized in 3 weeks from pop your first top be sure to clone it and immediately start it in a 12/12 to determine sex. This is the route I would take if it was me.

F

freshscene

At 2 feet that light shouldn’t do damage to the plants. Your problem is with the rootzone imo. The one time i got the same symptoms with my seedlings was because root rot. Is there a rancid smell coming out of the soil?
If it is root rot, you have very little chance to save such little ones ime but what i would do (i am newbie too, take it with a grain of salt) would be introducing benefical bacteria with a compost tea enriched with some rooting hormones or rooting supplements also some em1 or lactobacilli serum (added after brewing is done) to eat away the dead root mass and help with the recovery.
Root rot or not this recipe can’t hurt either way, if you have equipment you can do it.

I dont smell anything bad but im not sure if the roots are big enough to put off odors i can smell. I have seen others talk about compost teas and such but i havent done any research on how to make any (yet). I do have some hydroguard. I will try that in my next watering.

F

freshscene

Has the burn continued since the pic you showed..And crimson is right that it's probably the soil or overwatering. I have burned leaves from lights (flourecents) being to close, but once I thought it was lights again burning my plants ,yet it wasn't it wass too much nitrogen as I put nitrogen stakes in the soil while I was already properly fertilsed..Lol doing too much 1st grow..so my advice is ph test the soil cause you don't want to put new ones in there until you know what happened. If you live in a state that's got recreation or whatever my advice would be to get some clones that are over 6 inches tall. And start with those.. this would be good for beginning. If not start germinating and don't throw out the plants as you may be able to save a few. If they are not femonized in 3 weeks from pop your first top be sure to clone it and immediately start it in a 12/12 to determine sex. This is the route I would take if it was me.

Yea the burning is still ongoing :( and i dont live in a legal state so clones are not an option. (damn i wanna move to colorado) The seeds I bought are all feminized but yea i think your right about germinating more. Also, I dont have a soil ph tester but looks like i will be ordering one soon. Technically this is my second grow attempt but first soil. I went way to far and tried a hydroponic setup lol, major fail. Try try again and you shall succeed!... Some day!

Mr.growz

Mr.growz

Ok so how often do you water?
And not looking but you have smart pots or bags? I came back from it thanks to hans an old friend who wrote the sea of green in the early 90's so don't give up. Believe it or not and I don't care what anyone says these plants are resilient and actually like kind of being stressed as they program to get stronger. For instance break a branch tape it Walla your good 90% of the time. Nugnuckets shows lst and I tried it with this belief. At first I was like wtf as the plans seem stunted and doing nothing the ones I didn't stress seemed strong and yet now they look super weak vs the ones stressed. So not comparing Apple's to oranges they can come back but the two best ideas amongst this forum was soil ph as I think it's nitrogen and it was either crim or diesel who said overwatering with the height of your lights according to farmers and a few resources you should be good. For me I think your soil is to hot with nitro.

Mr.growz

Mr.growz

Ok so how often do you water?
And not looking but you have smart pots or bags? I came back from it thanks to hans an old friend who wrote the sea of green in the early 90's so don't give up. Believe it or not and I don't care what anyone says these plants are resilient and actually like kind of being stressed as they program to get stronger. For instance break a branch tape it Walla your good 90% of the time. Nugnuckets shows lst and I tried it with this belief. At first I was like wtf as the plans seem stunted and doing nothing the ones I didn't stress seemed strong and yet now they look super weak vs the ones stressed. So not comparing Apple's to oranges they can come back but the two best ideas amongst this forum was soil ph as I think it's nitrogen and it was either crim or diesel who said overwatering with the height of your lights according to farmers and a few resources you should be good. For me I think your soil is to hot with nitro.
Oh and you can get an awesome deal on Amazon for a ph/phH20/ec/temp/ppm tester. Should be less than 40. And make sure you get the one with ph up and down for water. I know you have RO but may help and it's the same price.

Ina

Ina

Why don't you pull them out and make the soil better(or just wet it a little,it should be ok,i see many people use it,you didnt add more fertz so I think it is not hot) with smaller containers and replant them,also did you used the soil dry on first place?:)The soil should be a little bit wet when you plant in it or the roots cant have good contact.Too big containers can be problem,just replant them in smaller and watch out how you water,you don't water right..I see you water just in the middle but the roots are going everywhere where it is dry I think.So in the middle it is really wet and the sides are dry,something like that happening:)Smaller container,nice,slow watering until they are watered correctly(and not too much and often),than wet/ dry cycle.But half watered(or just a little in the middle) too big pots are not OK.For me it is underwatering on the sideways and may be overwatering in the middle or just underwatering on the sideways,no contact betweеn the roots and the soil.Dont throw them,they can be fixed.

Mullpig

Mullpig

Thanks for the feedback every one. I'll try to get some florescent lights and start in cups next time.
My water schedule is once a week right now.
How far are you keeping the light from the tops? Mine are fine under a 600w led...

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Oh and you can get an awesome deal on Amazon for a ph/phH20/ec/temp/ppm tester. Should be less than 40. And make sure you get the one with ph up and down for water. I know you have RO but may help and it's the same price.

Do you have a link to that tester? Trying to find it on amazon.

F

freshscene

What happened with your hydro?

I have fabric grow bags. I did order a ph tester that also monitors moisture and light in the soil, only 8 bucks on amazon.
My hydro plants got root rot and died. Since I'm just starting growing, i lack a lot of testing tools so I'm not sure what caused it.

Top Bottom