Buying the correct fan speed controller.....

• Thread starter clockworx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
clockworx

clockworx

Triac w/ Snubber circuit (Fan speed controllers, Solid state controllers): snubber circuit removes some of the damage risk to the fan but not much. They will cause most motors to hum and risk premature failure .. people use them because they are cheap ($20.00) but they are not compatible with all fans.

Variable autotransformer (Variac): Better choice, continuous sine wave of a lower voltage (unlike a triac which chops up the sine wave to acheive a decreased voltage) allows fan operation with no hum. A 3 amp 120volt will work perfect for a single in line fan or two smaller fans (pic below) Price $55.00 + shipping on amazon...most 6-10inch inline fans run @ 1-1.50 amps, but have a power surge when turned on so make sure you buy a unit that can handle your specific needs.

• Input: 120 volt AC, Output: 0~130 volt AC, 3 Amp Slow Blow Fuse
    • Max VA: 300VA, 3 Amp. Max (surge), 1 year warranty
    • A rating of 300VA means that at 100volt, the unit can sustain at maximum 3amp. If at 120 volt the unit can sustain at 2.5amp
    • Note that most device have surge (when first turn on) much higher than operating amp rating.
    • E.g, motor with 3 amp rating may have over 5 amp surge, and you will need 5 amp variac.....(this info is for the unit below) I use it with a 6 inch inline and it works great. Smooth silent operation in all speed ranges.

Frequency
-Varable Frequency Drives (VFD, AFD): Best choice, complex circuitry senses changes in the motor allowing it to vary frequency of the AC source as well as the voltage which maintains a constant torque, unlike voltage regulation. These are more expensive but are the absolute best choice, you can find them used at places such as ebay and electronic shops. Otherwise they are hundreds of dollars.

clockworx

clockworx

• A "kill-a-watt" unit will allow you to see power usage during surge and normal operation $20.00....also works to check power consumption of lights, ballast, whatever....a great tool to have.
    41sgIknZvAL._SY450_.jpg

clockworx

clockworx

P3 P4330 Kill-A-Watt(R) Ps 10 Surge Protector...........this power strip is great, it reads power consumption for everything plunged into it. If you have a tent with 2 600hps lights , inline fan , oscillating fans ect... it will tell you total power used..
    51KKHtIZBkL._SX522_.jpg

clockworx

clockworx

You can also put the price you pay per kwh into the power strip and after you plug all your stuff in it will tell you how much you will pay per week , month , and year.....its a great way to keep track of bills for smaller grows.....

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

thanks for sharing these great threads man, :-)dumb question.....
how does one know if a product is a Fan speed controllers, Solid state controllers or a Variable autotransformer type?

I was thinking of picking up this puppy

I'm guessing that's a fan speed controller?

Tank333

Tank333

thanks for sharing these great threads man, :-)dumb question.....
how does one know if a product is a Fan speed controllers, Solid state controllers or a Variable autotransformer type?

No, not a fan speed controller. I have the CAP version of this. Its a temp sensor with a shut-off switch. It will turn your fan on and off when you reach the desired temperature range. Just set the dials, plug in and set your sensor where you want it.

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

im confused tank, if you click on the link i posted the very first sentence says titan day/night fan speed controller...lol
that thing doesnt automatically adjust the speed of the fan based on the temperature you set it to?

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

any recommendation on a Variable autotransformer type of controller, that has a setting for day and night temps and adjusts accordingly?

Tank333

Tank333

im confused tank, if you click on the link i posted the very first sentence says titan day/night fan speed controller...lol
that thing doesnt automatically adjust the speed of the fan based on the temperature you set it to?

No, its used like an AC system. You set the temp, and it has a variable setting of 3, 5, or 7 degrees, and if it gets higher than the desired temp range, it turns on the fan until it gets back into the desired range then shuts off. There's a setting for daytime and nightime, and a photocell that can tell when the lights turn on and off. Let me finish my cleaning and I'll go snap some pictures of the front of mine close up so you can see.

sixstring

sixstring

thanks for sharing these great threads man, :)dumb question.....

I use the merc 3 and 4 and i love em both but prolly like the 4 better.they do change fan speed based on room temps and setpoints.they can go from 25% speed and ramp up to 100% if needed.

Tank333

Tank333

I use the merc 3 and 4 and i love em both but prolly like the 4 better.they do change fan speed based on room temps and setpoints.they can go from 25% speed and ramp up to 100% if needed.

Well don't I feel dumb. :( I don't know if I had assumed how that worked, or if I had been told... Either way, good to know I was wrong.

sixstring

sixstring

I got mine both on clearance and the guys at the grow shop had no idea how they worked lol.i opened the box on the 4 and read the manual and then i snatched em both up for 60.00 a piece :) but yeah man you can set your idle speed from 25 to 75% and then it will ramp up to 100% if temps climb above your day or night temps.the 3 is not as adjustable as the 4

Dynamite

Dynamite

was doing some heavy research on this a couple months ago , and in the UK they offer inexpensive fan controllers that change the voltage properly so you get no hum .. but couldn't find them offered here in the US , not any beside the one clockworx already listed anyhow , much be the 120 vs 240 thing

clockworx

clockworx

Alltronics.com
header2_center1.gif

28N047.jpg

Variac - 300VA - 28N047
Variable Transformer, Input 110-120VAC, adjustable voltage 0-130VAC, 3A, 60Hz, built in VOLT meter, fused with 3-prong grounded AC cord.

Your Price: $62.95:: Add to Cart
Wish List
More Info
Buy more, Save more!
1 - 10$ 62.95
11 - 25$ 54.95
pixel.gif

mainformhead_left.gif
Product Details
mainformhead_right.gif

28N049.jpg

Variac - 500VA - 28N049
Variable Transformer, Input 110-120VAC, adjustable voltage 0-130VAC, 5A, 60Hz, built in VOLT meter, fused with 3-prong grounded AC cord.

Your Price: $112.95:: Add to Cart
Wish List
More Info
Buy more, Save more!
1 - 10$ 112.95
11 - 25$ 108.95
pixel.gif

mainformhead_left.gif
Product Details
mainformhead_right.gif

28N048.jpg

Variac Open Frame - 300VA - 28N048
Open Frame for industrial use variable transformer, Input 110-120VAC, adjustable voltage 0-130VAC, 3A, 60Hz, flying leads and with 3 mounting holes in the base. This is an open frame device with expos...

Your Price: $42.95:: Add to Cart
Wish List
More Info
Buy more, Save more!
1 - 10$ 42.95
11 - 25$ 40.95

Last edited:
clockworx

clockworx

I know places that sell others but are crazy expensive for such a simple piece of crap......seriously , the best way to go is to make one using the kit part, there is really nothing to them at all. Or buy one of the 2 listed above, those are the best deals your gonna find in the country....when you understand how they work and how easy it is to make one you would wanna slap yourself for paying 350 ...if you build a kit box variac controller you can also add the volt meter for a few bucks, radio shack has them and they're analog so its two wires and viola!!!

bigdawg

bigdawg

just get the older brand name variac ones off ebay used..cheapist way for good old time reliability. things last forever. I use them to bring up to voltage rebuilt old mcintosh tube amps for "the kind" sound. many years of use on these...this is the way to go!! can get them in 10 amp too, i think also 5 amp units

Latest posts

Top Bottom